Share This Page:

swimming

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
tomovyick

swimming

Post by tomovyick »

how many lenghts should i be able to swim before i join the royal marines?
what stroke should i do?
ramboto2

Post by ramboto2 »

Swimming is not a test, just an assessment, but do try to be able to swim a couple lengths (without touching the sides). Im not sure with the stroke but you can try practicing I guess the four, freestyle, backstroke, breast and butterfly.
[url=http://www.simplybestbargains.co.uk]GREAT DEALS ON COMPUTING[/url]
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

Dont worry, no butterfly stroke :roll:
breast stroke is the main one and probably the easiest although you will do front crawl as well as side stroke ( ? ). Basically get from one end to the next however you can...
"The only time you should start worrying about a soldier is when they stop bitchin'."
Congrats 946Trp
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

The answer to your question is as many as you can.

You do quite alot of swimming in phase 1 of training so it's up to you really if you want to be a biff and scrape through every phys session in the pool.

It may not be a test at first but it soon becomes one when you do the battle swimming test and if you can't do that then your ass is backtrooped.
ofens

Post by ofens »

If nothing else use it as good training prior to joining,
it's non-impact so less stress on the knees and ankles yet still a good cardio workout and all over conditioning...
...if you work hard and don't just loaf watching the girls! :P
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Just out of interest what would be considered a good workout swimming? :-? I usually do 20 lengths (30m pool) breast-stroke without stopping after going in the gym, although admitedly that's at an old man pace as my technique is pretty shite! :P I then do a few underwater lengths although I can only make it 3/4 of the way at the moment but I'm getting there. ;)
just_me

Post by just_me »

Mike90 wrote:Just out of interest what would be considered a good workout swimming? :-? I usually do 20 lengths (30m pool) breast-stroke without stopping after going in the gym, although admitedly that's at an old man pace as my technique is pretty shite! :P I then do a few underwater lengths although I can only make it 3/4 of the way at the moment but I'm getting there. ;)
I do/plan to start doing 20-30 lengths breaststoke per session but for me it's only as a light workout.
Also intrested to know what kind of swimming workouts are most effective.
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

From what I understand the reason they do swimming in training is because it is an alternative form of non impact exercise and it is good for expanding the lungs.

You won't be going into the pool and doing loads of lengths which is good because that is just boring. It's mostly sprints, hypoxic swimming(swimming under water) or some form of circuit training.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Glad to hear it, oi loves me underwater swimming, can get about 5m from the end of a 30m pool now. :D Still sticking with my lengths though, isn't doing me any harm. ;)
Baz

Post by Baz »

Mix it a bit eg.

5x lengths breastroke
5x lengths (1/2 front crawl sprint and 1/2 breaststroke)
6 x lengths breaststoke (alt 1 arms only/1 legs only)
3 min treading water (1 min arms and legs, 1 arms only, 1 legs only)
6 x lengths breaststoke (alt 1 arms only/1 legs only)
5x lengths (1/2 front crawl sprint and 1/2 breaststroke)
5x lengths breastroke
3 min treading water (1 min arms and legs, 1 arms only, 1 legs only)

Baz
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

It's probably worth being able to dive aswell as I can't say for other troops but our troop had something at the end of most sessions called 'Magaluf' training where everyone had to do a decent dive off the high board in order to leave the pool.

However, there were some complete biffs who just couldn't do it properly and it's very funny to watch over and over again.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Belly-flops for me mate. :D No diving board at my local pool, will have to beg a trip to Cyprus off the grandparents I suppose. :P
Baz, bone question but what is 'treading water'? I thought it was just trying to run in water but guess not if you can do it using arms only! Also I haven't tried but imagine I would drown trying to swim breast-stroke legs only as your arms are what keeps your head up aren't they? :-?
just_me

Post by just_me »

Treading water is basically the art of staying put in one place (in the water) with your head above water.
LAMacfarlane

Post by LAMacfarlane »

the swimming is very easy hardest part is the 5mins treading water because its boring lol