Share This Page:

Worried about eyesight?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Bees

Worried about eyesight?

Post by Bees »

Hello all,

I have been trying to get into the armed forces for some time but have been turned away because I have poor visual accuity in my right eye.

This is because the bastard thing is lazy and was told at my medical that the only thing that could be done to improve my vision needed to be done when I was a child.

However, I have recently discovered a new-fangled treatment "Neuro-Vision". This treatment teaches the brain how to use the bastard lazy eye and improves visual accuity in some cases by two lines on the snellen's test (letter chart).

The treatment is £1500 which is a lot but I'm sure worth it to anyone in my situation or simular.

I will post the link next as this is my first post and am unable to add the link.

I hope this will help anyone feeling stuck.
Last edited by Bees on Wed 25 Mar, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bees

Post by Bees »

Bees

Post by Bees »

Let me know how you get on, I'm still saving up to have the treatment.

Cheers
Bees

Post by Bees »

This link should come in handy

http://www.aop.org.uk/uploaded_files/pdf/04-navy.pdf

It contains the RN RM eyesight requirements and testing methods
Timecop

Visual standards - Coliur vision11

Post by Timecop »

Hey guys n gals,

Can anyone please help/advise me ASAP, ive got my medical for the marines on 20th June @ 0930am. Now i know im partialy colour blind but to what extent i dont know.

Does anyone know which of the cp's i would have to pass in order to pass?

Cheers!!
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

You need CP4. The only colour perception test I remember taking is the test where you have to read the coloured numbers made up of little circles against a background of a different colour. Don't know what they are called, that's the best way I can describe them. :D
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Here you go,

http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm

Hope this helps.
Bees

Post by Bees »

Hello pal,

When I applied for the marines I failed the colour chart out of the book test, I am very colour blind.

If you dont pass they will send you to the nearest military hospital for a referral and will test you with two dots in a dark room. This test is thorough and more people pass it.

Also whilst I was applying I found out that not all jobs need the same colour perception.

Good luck
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Wholley wrote:Here you go,

http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm

Hope this helps.
Thats it. ;) I'm not sure that the online ones are as good as I imagine your computer display and settings can come into play but it gives you an idea at least.
Bees

Post by Bees »

This pdf has all the navy visual requirements,

I hope it's of some use
Bees

Post by Bees »

Timecop

Post by Timecop »

Thanks all :D alot of help and advise there!

Just 1 final question: Is there anything else they are keen on at the medical or anything they look for inparticular?

Bottom line ive come this far and bricking :oops: it about failing now!!!

Thanks again.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Don't worry mate so was I, although in my case rightly so as I was TMU'd! :o All it is is fill out a form giving details of your medical status and history, pee into a tube, wait for ages, see a nurse for a hearing test where you listen for high pitched noises wearing headphones and also a lung capacity test where you just blow as hard as possible into a tube, wait again then you see a doctor. With the doctor he asks you a few simple questions then it's down to your underwear where he has a quick feel (or was that just me :oops:) then you do your colour perception test out of the booklet. All done. :)
Timecop

Post by Timecop »

Cheers matey,
Still packing it though, also about 2yrs back i was diagnosed with what the doc called "DEPRESSION" i didnt take any meds and it was eventually found to be jst working shift pattern was affecting my sleep.

Do you know if this will cause any major problems, sorry for all the q's i just really don't want to fail this!

Thanks again.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

There have been posts about depression before so do a quick search as I know fark all about that, if I remember correctly from what I have read on here though there is a 'waiting time' where you have to have had no problems for a certain time after being diagnosed but again that is just off the top of my head and there is a good chance I am mistaken. :-?