Share This Page:

supplements

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
daniel 88

supplements

Post by daniel 88 »

Hello I'm new to this site.
I'm training to join the Marines and failed my prmc in August due to a dislocated shoulder. I have just started training again and am looking for a recovery supplement for after my training sessions. If anyone is using any and can recommend them for me I would be grateful.
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

Eggs on toast. Works for me!

I wouldnt bother with creatine/maximuscle/all that other stuff because you wont be allowed it in RT. However, consider taking glucosamine to look after your joints. Maybe some cod liver oil as well.

Other than than, just a good varied diet and a quality exercise regime and youll be reet. Otherwise, youll be skint.
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!
ofens

Post by ofens »

Unless you've been taught (i.e. by a person qualified and/or with experience of use) what supplements to use when / how, I'd suggest not to spend out on them as it's far easier to get no results from misinformed use.
In any case a good diet is your best bet and should be first port of call 8)
Also be wary that lots of well-meaning people reckon they know what they're doing with supplements and will tell you what they think - especially on internet forums - and sometimes they're wrong...! :(

That's not to say I think that informed and sensible use of supplements is in any way a bad idea - but yes, they are banned at CTC.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Speaking from a strictly athletic point of view (I.E. sports people not military folks), I'd say supplement can have a small (but in some case's worthwhile) place in any athletes diet. I'm useing some basic ones my self;

cod liver oil
whey protein

I've used cod liver oil most of my life due to my granddad who advised me to take it (he's 93 and still walks 5 miles every week day which is evidence enough for me cod liver oil isn't doing him any harm) and I use whey post work out for ease... saves lugging a stake or chicken to the gym.

Solid food should be you're first port of call and all you really need, if you get serious about training then i can't see any harm in getting educated about supplements but they certainly aren't needed. Though I do think they get bad press sometimes, people thinking they are somehow 'cheating'.

I often spend 3-4 hours training a day, two hours at boxing, running in the morning and a hour of sport at collage and i manage with out any really fancy suppliments. (just mountains of food and water :P )

If you have the money and are willing to find out about what you are putting into you're body (I don't believe in taking X because someone, especially a person of the internet, says so) then I say go for it but it will never replace good diet, hard work and adequate rest.

In my opinion you'll never find a nicer tasting and effective recovery supplement than stake eggs and veg *drools un-controllably*

Simply put I'm not anti suppliments I just understand there are no special pills that makes training easier but if I can find something that legally and safely gives me a extra edge in the ring then I'll use it and see no reason not to.

All the best

Stokey
803troop

Post by 803troop »

Milk - preferably skimmed.

Baz
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

I didn't know supplements were banned at RT.Are you not even allowed protein powder?
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
KODE

Post by KODE »

Speaking from personal experience, Supplements can give increased results, albeit, small. As Stokey has said, you will be better just looking at your diet and possibly buying a basic Whey Protein. The problem with supplementation is, that it can take years to find a supplement that works for you, and thats not an exaggeration, believe me! Theres a good company called Myprotein.com, where you can mix up your own producgts, and I have found them to be both effective, and tasty. But as I said before, what works for one doesn't always work for all.

KODE