Share This Page:

Kitlist for PRMC

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Dave_1987

Kitlist for PRMC

Post by Dave_1987 »

My PRMC is coming up soon so im starting to get my kit together. Apart from anything on the kitlist the AFCO give you is there anything i could take to make lifer a little easier down there? Just asking lads that have done PRMC really.

cheers guys.
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

I've not done PRMC but i had a taster day and know a Marine..

He said a good hard bristle brush for you're boots to get the dirt out of the laces and threads, and a soft brush for the usual brick a brak you collect on you're boots.
Also some of those dusters (Yellow ones) there supposedly the best thing to bull and polish you're boots with.

Hope this helps.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

If you use yellow dusters for bulling you'll end up with yellow fluff in the seams. Try and find a Selvyt cloth (usually in the cleaning aisle...) or some kind of non-fluffy duster. Cotton wool is a good idea as well.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Do you bull and polish boots then on PRMC. Im taking a nail brush so should be ok with that. Anything else people??
adamb

Post by adamb »

I thought passing ADSC they would of issued us some boots to break in, funny how they don't but they do with PRMC? Kiwi polish i got told is the best polish?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Kiwi polish is good, just don't get parade gloss!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
ofens

Post by ofens »

You need very little for PRMC - don't stress over it, the kitlist they give you is enough.
You might want to take 2 towels as 1 won't get enough time to dry between activities during the day.

You won't do anything like bulling boots but you will polish the boots they supply for the course, so take polish and on/off brushes.

Relax and remember that it's just 3 days away from home, it will be over before you know it. 8)
Good luck

ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Cheers ofens, thats what I was after. :wink:
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Hyperlithe wrote:Kiwi polish is good, just don't get parade gloss!
Can you advise on what polish is best?
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Jstagg, try reading the quote you just used. It's pretty clear. Kiwi, but not Kiwi Parade Gloss. Geddit? :roll:
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

druadan wrote:Jstagg, try reading the quote you just used. It's pretty clear. Kiwi, but not Kiwi Parade Gloss. Geddit? :roll:
Did you notice where he said 'Kiwi polish is good' lol I want the 'Best' :P

Rumour has it (for the bone idle lazy) that there's some kind of Magic spray!
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

The list they give you is adequate.
In ref to what Ofens said, I would advise bringing an extra towel. You tend not to get as much dry in the drying room as it's going to be full of everyone else's wet towels etc. Especially after the bottom field, all the kit will be honking and everything has to be cleaned and dried.
When they issue you some boots when you get there, polish them and advise anyone in your grot to do the same. If you turn out for drill with unpolished boots in the corridor the Corporal will make you go back inside and polish them and you'll have to rush to do it!

Also, the kit list says get swimming trunks, so get them. Otherwise you'll get an earfull from the PTI's. Bring what you're told to bring and any little extra's such as spare shreddies and socks etc are ok.
At dinner and nine o'clockers, eat eat eat eat eat eat as much as you can every night! It will come in handy because you will only be having a light breakfast (if you don't want to throw up that is).
Bring some vaseline as well. You may end up getting some mega blisters during the bottom field, I did on my heels. So if you do, clean the blister(s) and after taping or putting some plasters on them (if you do bring some), liberally apply vaseline all over it, then slip on your sock(s) and apply vaslenine to the affected area and then inside your footware. I had blisters on my heels so I applied to where ever my heels were going to be. Then tie your footware on tight so it doesnt slip. If any friction does occur, then the vaseline will help with that!

Good luck when you get down there. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

AJtothemax wrote:
Bring some vaseline as well. You may end up getting some mega blisters during the bottom field, I did on my heels. So if you do, clean the blister(s) and after taping or putting some plasters on them (if you do bring some), liberally apply vaseline all over it, then slip on your sock(s) and apply vaslenine to the affected area and then inside your footware. I had blisters on my heels so I applied to where ever my heels were going to be. Then tie your footware on tight so it doesnt slip. If any friction does occur, then the vaseline will help with that!

Good luck when you get down there. 8)
that advice about the boots is brilliant, would covering a bandage in Vaseline be better? to save the mess of Vaso' in you're boot?
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Thanks AJ, great advice.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

You're welcome.
If you think you're prone to blisters on certain parts on your foot then tape them up, plaster them or whatever - then apply vaseline over it. It will help stop friction, then apply over the sock and then the footware.
With regards to boots, thats the way I was taught at rugby by the physio. It will do no harm at all and you're going to have to clean your boots anyway, so don't worry about getting the vaseline off, most of it will rub into your sock anyway.

Also, you'll get the banter flying with the vaseline anyway and who wouldn't want that?! Good bit of team building! :P
Seriously though, it won't hurt to take some just in case you do get a blister. By the way, health and hygine, don't let anyone with grubby fingers stick their fingers in that pot because you might have to use it anyway. Last thing you want is to rub someone elses muck accidentally into open wounds.

Edit: One more thing Dave, keep your water bottle topped up as much as possible.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."