Share This Page:

Hunter, Being discharged, Recurring injury

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
ofens

Hunter, Being discharged, Recurring injury

Post by ofens »

Hi all,
I've been in RM training since Dec last year. I've put my heart and soul into everything and gotten good results... however all is not well, and I would be interested in your opinions.

I got to week 15 of RM training before going into Hunter for knee injuries (didn't pass Baptist Run for this reason :x ).

I've been in Hunter Coy over 6 months now. I've made progress but also had setbacks - that is, I've had pain-free weeks, started running again, then it's flared right up as bad as it was to start with, back to Square 1 in Hunter. A few times.

I'm now starting to:
(a) Worry that if this happens again, I'll get discharged;
(b) Wonder if this pain is telling me something! [i.e. is this just not gonna work :x ]

If they do discharge me, will I be able to rest up and start again, or if not, join another part of the forces?
Has anyone on here been discharged for an injury and then later rejoined / gone elsewhere within the forces?

ofens

(I would just add that the Hunter rehab staff - PTIs and physios - are really good and loads of lads get fixed and out of Hunter all the time.)
Last edited by ofens on Sat 22 Nov, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

hi there, sorry to hear this.

Firstly i was wondering did they tell you what the name or cuase of your injury is or could be?

I personally had some issues with my knee after shin pains which caused me pretty bad issues during my PRMC which i failed:(

If you could let us know what your knee issue is, i might be able to help sinse when i spoke to my docter (ex-army medic) he told me my injury was a common one and there is a solution to it, maybe you have same as me.

i got/had a at first shin pain, which found out was scaring to the tibia, this in turn cuased me to shift my weight onto my other leg which cuased knee issues.

From what you say and the time you spent in hunter, hopefully if they know the cuase they will be able to tell you with some certainty if your injury can be fixed or healed to complete the tasks you have got to complete.

i hope all goes well
xcj

Re: Hunter, Being discharged, Recurring injury

Post by xcj »

ofens wrote:Hi all,
(I would just add that the Hunter rehab staff - PTIs and physios - are really good and loads of lads get fixed and out of Hunter all the time.)
Hi,

Sorry I can't offer any advice as I don't know but you mentioned the physios. I'm applying to do a postgraduate in physio when I finish my honours in sports science this year and am wondering if the physios in lympstone are civis?

Cheers
ofens

Post by ofens »

xcj: PM incoming!
ofens
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Ty

Post by Ty »

Jarhead, I seem to have that problem your describing ( shifting of the weight ). What were you told was the best thing to solve it ?.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

The physio I saw for my shoulder was a civvie
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Ty wrote:Jarhead, I seem to have that problem your describing ( shifting of the weight ). What were you told was the best thing to solve it ?.
basically my problem was the following.

i thought i had shin splints but i actually had scaring to the tibia this cuased me to shift my balance/weight from my right leg onto left leg which wasnt scared.

This in turn cuased my left knee to have pain on the inside of the knee due to this, i also found a little lump on the outer left side of knee which "clicked" when i move it "in and outwoods", if you get my drift.

it wasnt really a issue but it can be a right pain at times sinse i cannot sprint properly without some degree of pain in the knee.

the solution as he said was to do exercises, if this simular to what you had i can pm you with details ect.
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

I had a similar problem when i was at ctc. I pulled a muscle from the bone in my groin and was placed in hunter. I was told by the physios that it wont take long to heal. I felt like it was abit more serious than the physios said to me, so i went to a civi physio and they said a range of other problems that i had, and need to be delt with before my groin would heal properly.

I left ctc in feb 07 and a year on my groin is now feeling much better. Im not ripping of the medical staff at hunter, because they did do a good job at the time.
Im now started back doing phys and am looking to join the forces again hopefully in the new year. I would say get a second opinion on your injury see if they say any different next time your on leave. Hopefully it wont take long to heal that way u can get into training again.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Thanks for the replies guys.
Still working on the injury. The RI's and Physios are very knowledgeable and resourceful 8)
So fingers crossed I'll be back in action (i.e. in a troop) not long after Christmas.
ofens
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
chak

Post by chak »

from personal experience, you should see someone outside of lympstone on a weekend you get off - however, dont tell them you are doing so.

see what another physio reckons in a private clinic or whatever.
Ste Preece

Re: Hunter, Being discharged, Recurring injury

Post by Ste Preece »

ofens wrote:Hi all,
I've been in RM training since Dec last year. I've put my heart and soul into everything and gotten good results... however all is not well, and I would be interested in your opinions.

I got to week 15 of RM training before going into Hunter for knee injuries (didn't pass Baptist Run for this reason :x ).

I've been in Hunter Coy over 6 months now. I've made progress but also had setbacks - that is, I've had pain-free weeks, started running again, then it's flared right up as bad as it was to start with, back to Square 1 in Hunter. A few times.

I'm now starting to:
(a) Worry that if this happens again, I'll get discharged;
(b) Wonder if this pain is telling me something! [i.e. is this just not gonna work :x ]

If they do discharge me, will I be able to rest up and start again, or if not, join another part of the forces?
Has anyone on here been discharged for an injury and then later rejoined / gone elsewhere within the forces?

ofens

Unfortunately, injury plagues a lot of really good guys. I recall some very exceptional people who also spent a long time in Hunter Troop. Its not easy. I wish you all the very best for 2009. Keep you chin up mate.

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
ofens

Post by ofens »

Thanks Steve, that's much appreciated. 8)
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
maritime_marine

Post by maritime_marine »

Just keep cracking on mate, i was Hunter for 7months with a stress fractured hip in week 14. It also gave me back and ankle problems because of the over-componsating (spelling). Ive just passed out with 965 and still do the specifics given to me from the RI's for my back. Id say keep plodding on it Hunter untill you cant train because of your injury, its either going to get better and get your green lid or its not and then at least you know you tried your hardest eh?
RT 8th October
Second Place is the First Loser.