Share This Page:

Rejected from the army!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

My dad was in the Army (RCT), and he'd tell me stories about the Marines, and ever since then I knew thats what I wanted to do.
The only problem for me was I had Ceoliac Disease (diagnosed at 2) which made me medically unfit to ever serve.

Well, here I am now, at the ripe age of 30 medical science has moved on and it was a misdiagnosis (ive had several test). So my app went in.

I guess what im trying to say is 1) Be glad its only a matter of time before you can go for it, many cant even do that. 2) Use the time that you have as a tool, learn as much as you can, do as many things as you can and challenge yourself.

Come June 2009, you wont know where the time went, and you will be in a much better position to make a decision.
Application submitted: 28-03-08
Psychometric tests: 10-04-08 (Passed)
Eyetest: 21-04-08 (Passed 6/6)
Medical: 08-05-08 (Passed)
Interview: 21-05-08 (Passed)
PJFT: 21/11/08 (Passed)
PRMC: 27/01/09 (Passed)
RT: 23/03/09
"You create the pain, YOU can make it go away"
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

good advice that :)
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

Excellent advice that , kind of puts thing's into prespective in regards to people who have been given a few years before they can give it a crack . As said use your time wisely. Get fitter, stronger and more mentally robust and you will crack whatever comes your way.
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
xcj

Post by xcj »

Taxman wrote:My dad was in the Army (RCT), and he'd tell me stories about the Marines, and ever since then I knew thats what I wanted to do.
The only problem for me was I had Ceoliac Disease (diagnosed at 2) which made me medically unfit to ever serve.

Well, here I am now, at the ripe age of 30 medical science has moved on and it was a misdiagnosis (ive had several test). So my app went in.

I guess what im trying to say is 1) Be glad its only a matter of time before you can go for it, many cant even do that. 2) Use the time that you have as a tool, learn as much as you can, do as many things as you can and challenge yourself.

Come June 2009, you wont know where the time went, and you will be in a much better position to make a decision.

Thats brilliant, all the best. Obviously the original misdiagnosis isn't brilliant but its better than never diagnosing a misdiagnosis at all!

I echo both 1) and 2) :D
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Taxman wrote:My dad was in the Army (RCT), and he'd tell me stories about the Marines, and ever since then I knew thats what I wanted to do.

Fairplay Taxman, to still be motivated to join after all this time is very commendable. After you've waited this long those 9months training should flyby right... :wink: lol. I wish you all the best of luck mate.
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

jah-boy wrote:Yeah i may go to college until june anyway.
May i ask why only till June?

I started collage a few weeks back now and am loving it so far, I was never a fan of school (as few people are) but collage is a hole diffrent ball game (sorry if you already know this i don't want to sound patroniseing but i know that before i went to collage i was dreading it, to me it was two more years stuck in education but it's totally diffrent) I'm still as determind as ever to get into the Royal Marines after my collage stint but the way I see it is two years life experiance, a qualification, chance to meet new people and make new friends and a extra two years to get in shape.

I'll still be a young 18 year old lad when I join with plenty of time to go and do what Marines do but with hopefully two cracking years of fun behind me and with any luck i'll be two years the wiser as well. :P

Mabye i'm wrong but if you're plan was to leave collage early then i'd sujest geting there and seeing how it is for you becuase you might be like me and be shocked at how diffrent it is.

Hopely i've been of some use.

Stokey
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Jah boy,

Only my opinion but i'd say finish college first and then join. You may aswell get your education done before joining, the Forces arent going anywhere and you'll be better prepared for it with a bit more life experience. You could join one of the Reserve forces whilst finishing college.

Dwarfy
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

Yer I think i'm probably going to stay on for two years since college is actually quite fun. I've joined the cadets as well which is pretty good fun :) .

Just one question though, who and what are the royal marine reserves :-? .
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Have a look for yourself.

http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6714

Be prepared to make a fair few sacrifices if you wish to get very far with it.Out of my phase one troop (we started with around 35-40 aprx) only 6 or 7 i believe went on their phase one course at CTC, two of which had served previously with the Army. Some of us, myself included, failed our confirmation weekend(Criteria test weekend you must pass to attend the phase one course), and one or two had to put things on hold due to work issues so we will still be carrying on, however easliy more than 50% who were on the first weekend field ex or two have now left for good.

Go along to a presentation evening at your nearest Det to get a good insight into it.

Dwarfy,
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

I think i'd rather go for the full time option than do it while im still in college. I reckon it mite be too much along with all the college work.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Fair one mate, why not go to college enjoy yourself, get some qualifications, some life experience and then go for it after?

You can use your time to really get your fitness up to scratch aswell whilst your at college without too much pressure regarding time constraints.

Enjoy it!

Dwarfy
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

dwarfy wrote:Fair one mate, why not go to college enjoy yourself, get some qualifications, some life experience and then go for it after?

You can use your time to really get your fitness up to scratch aswell whilst your at college without too much pressure regarding time constraints.

Enjoy it!

Dwarfy
Yer very true.

Thanks for all the advice guys!