Share This Page:

Application Process

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Jcooke

Application Process

Post by Jcooke »

I read the topic on the psychometric test is September, and mine is this Thursday! i started writing this as a reply to that, but after I finished proof reading it, it seemed more sensible to make it a new topic.

I was wondering how long after the psychometric tests it is on average before I can get on my PRMC? And what are the other things I need to do before then?

Also I apologise if this has been covered before. I did have a look in the search box, but I wasn’t entirely what key words would bring this topic up.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

We'll let you off for not knowing what to search for... this time 8)

Just take a look at my signature and you'll see the other stages. Bear in mind, however, that I failed my initial interview & added 3 months onto my application (july - october) and then had to cancel my first PRMC which was supposed to be in March.
Jcooke

Post by Jcooke »

Hey thanks lol,

I did an eye text with my application is this different? So I could expect to be doing my PRMC in December if all goes well? I know it is a bit personnel but can I ask what you failed the interview on? And also what the interview entailed?
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Sure thing fella. The recruiter didnt believe I understood what the RM entailed and was unimpressed by my lack of Corps' knowledge & the Royal Navy Contract.

http://militaryforums.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

Learn that & learn it well. Corps' knowledge also requires a fair bit of reading but the rough gist of it is; learn the 3 cdo units, birth of our glorious Corps, how many VC winners there have been (name two), & a few memorable dates.
Jcooke

Post by Jcooke »

Passed my interview yesterday, awaiting my PRMC date. Stoked!
MaxwildePRM

Post by MaxwildePRM »

Sorry to burst your bubble mate but havent you got your medical and PJFT to think about before PRMC?
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

good job on that, i was going to say...the application process can be extremely quick like it was for me which was less then a month :lol: or you could be a career applicant and spend a good year attempting!
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
Jcooke

Post by Jcooke »

Yeah is brilliant! MaxwildePRM I had already done both Medical and PJFT before my interview. Got a clean bill of health and 9 min 6 secs on my run.

I got my PRMC date through the post today as well, it is the 11th of November. Seems like ages but I know it’ll come around really quick and then I can pack in the day job lol
Baron Greenback

RMR Medical

Post by Baron Greenback »

Hi,

I'm thinking about applying for the Royal Marines Reserves. I'm not too worried about the fitness element but I'm wondering what the medical entails?

I'm 29 and did used to drink a fair bit (read, a lot) until recently and still smoke a little bit :( so not sure my blood pressure will be ok - also I'm scared of doctors and their 'orrible tests (e.g. fiddling with your c**k and looking up your arse, needles, etc.) :O

Any of you blokes able to detail exactly what the medical entails as this is really the thing that puts me off applying??? Yeah, I know I'm f'ing stupid! :)

As regards fitness, I do at least 2 MTB rides/wk (2-5hrs), some climbing weekly and usually get out kayaking every couple of weeks. Also do a bit of fell walking and wild camping with 20lb'ish pack. Running is something I'm gonna have to work on.

Cheers,
Neil.
adamb

Post by adamb »

I did a royal marine medical.

You do a physcometric test (its fairly easy)
Before your medical you do an eye test and donald & aitchinson.
You do a test where you blow into a tubular thing and i think you gota get between 500 & 550.
She does your blood pressure, your height, your weight.
You do a hearing test where you go into a booth put some headphones on and click the button when you hear a noise.
You then go through to the doctor ( the above is done with a nurse ) and you get weighed again, height again, you have to strip down to your boxers and do some movements like bending knees, squatting down etc. You then have to do a cough & drop. Nothing to worry about it lol, he just puts his hand just above your pube line on the left and right side and you have to cough then he puts his hands under your testicles and you have to cough, they do not play around with it so dont worry.
You then do a PJFT (Pre-Join Fitness Test) wich when i did it was a 1.5m run on treadmill under 10mins but i think now it is 1.5m run on treadmill in under 12:30 then 1minutes rest and then a 1.5m run on a treadmill in under 10:30.
Then it is your PRMC (Potential Royal Marines Course) Where you go away for 3 1/2 days doing various tests, runs, interviews etc.

I dont know if its compulsory but somewhere in there you may do a RMAD (Royal Marines Acquaint Day).

Hope i helped!
Baron Greenback

Post by Baron Greenback »

Cheers for the replies. I'm feeling a lot better about my silly issue with the medical now!!! I just need to get some runs done. I'll let y'all know how it goes when I apply to join RMR.