Share This Page:

New guy here

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Ross_RMR

New guy here

Post by Ross_RMR »

Hi guys.Just thought i'd say hello before I ask my question.

I'm 25 and hope to join the RMR next year sometime.The question is a training/weight loss one really.

I'm 5ft 9'' and currently weigh 13st 4lbs.Ideally i want to drop 2 stone,but i also want to tone up with weight training.

My question is should i lose the 2 stone first by hammering the cardio ie. running before work,then x-trainer/sports at night,then introduce weight training,or should i do an overall weights and cardio programme.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

if I was you, id just vary your running do 3-4 runs a week 3 mile top speed, 4-5 mile, one long distance 9 miles or so .. then one 4 mile. then on the other days do pressups situps pullups and some light weights training fast reps.

easy peasy. have one rest day.. and if it gets too much add another one.
Just Lie back and think of England.

AFCO 17 - Oct [b]Here I come![/b]
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

<What he said.If you incorporate some weight training(circuits,plenty reps and sets) then you'll find that you lose weight quicker(while not putting it on in muscle cos you want to be training for lean muscle not bulk),because the extra lean muscle will increase your metabolic rate and you'll burn more calories even when you're resting.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
Ross_RMR

Post by Ross_RMR »

Had a quick think about what i can fit in around work and family and have come up with this workout.feel free to put me right if you dont think its right;

Every morning do 3 sets of max press ups,sit ups and pull ups.

MONDAY : 30 minute run

TUESDAY :30 minute run

WEDNESDAY :Weight training session + Play squash 45 minutes,

THURSDAY: 45 minute run

FRIDAY: Weight Training session

SATURDAY: Rest day

SUNDAY: Slow run 1 Hour
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

Just my opinion here,and others might disagree,but doing max sets of anything everyday is a big no no.Your body wont have enough time to recover(I only know of some people who train their abs everyday and these are the most elite of combat athletes,and even they have a day or two off say at the weekend).Doing 3 lots of your max is a good idea,but with the right intensity and your absolute max you can get good gains with only doing them 3 times a week at the very most for each exercise.You also have to think about these clashing with your weight training days,for example your not gonna want to be doing press ups the day after you've done the bench press,or pull ups after training your back muscles.And I dont know if you've ever done much leg weights/exercises,but the day after doing a good session with lunges and squats etc there's no way you'll be able to go for a run(after a good session of bodyweight circuits with leg exercises I can't even sit down without moaning like a pensioner about my sore legs).

If your doing weights then try do them in circuits so there's little rest time inbetween sets and exercises,and do plenty reps,and try to do mostly the bigger movements that involve more muscles,stay away from isolated bodybuilding exercises-and for god sake use free weights not the machines in the gym.

Personally,I think you only need to run 3 times a week,and I'd rather space them out a day so say run mon wed and fri.And mix them up aswell,have one a short fast run or tabata/interval training(hills aswell if you like),a middle-ish one say a 3 miler,then a longer one of 5-7 miles.Running for time is a good start cos you wont be training less and less as your times get quicker,BUT you really need to run for distance and time your run,so you can gauge your progress and how fit you are.You could even re-create the 3 miler by doing a 12min 1.5 mile then a best effort back.I think the consensus now is to concentrate on short fast runs when training for PRMC or RT,or if your doing long runs then do fartleks or include some sprints.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Mate im 5'10 and 13stone I run everyday and am attempting the AACC in 2010 at the grand old age of 40.
Im going to train for six months with RMR London.
803troop

Post by 803troop »

[quote="Ross_RMR"]Had a quick think about what i can fit in around work and family and have come up with this workout.feel free to put me right if you dont think its right;

SUNDAY: Slow run 1 Hour[/quote]

Why do 5 hi-impact days while you're only training? Stress fractures are free, smart training is free too.

Sun/Mon/Tues/Weds/Thurs are all high impact sessions without a break. Break it up with a bit of swimming or cycling and avoid injury. As long as you keep the intensity up. (IE. cycling: I will cover maxium distance in 30 minutes), you will save yourslef injuries that may manifest themselves later.

Baz
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

803troop wrote:
Ross_RMR wrote:Had a quick think about what i can fit in around work and family and have come up with this workout.feel free to put me right if you dont think its right;

Why do 5 hi-impact days while you're only training? Stress fractures are free, smart training is free too.

Sun/Mon/Tues/Weds/Thurs are all high impact sessions without a break. Break it up with a bit of swimming or cycling and avoid injury. As long as you keep the intensity up. (IE. cycling: I will cover maxium distance in 30 minutes), you will save yourslef injuries that may manifest themselves later.

Baz
Yeh smart thinking that.. no need to do too many miles either because you just need to be thinking bout running 3 miles in under 22.5 mins. so train around that.

no need to do 3 times max sets a day either.. stick to one. or ull get bored with it and not work as hard or just get burnt out.

Try:

Monday:
morning - max situps, pressups first then 3x 5-10 (ur max. pullups)
(have a good bloody lunch loads of carbs and protein)
afternoon - a 3mile run timed best effort. under 22.5.
(good warm down after loads of calf and leg stretching to fend of shin
splints and stress fractures. and get atleast 8 hrs of sleep)

Tuesday:
have a hard bike ride with interval training and go on the cross trainer/rower, have a good workout. Then do some fast light rep weights
and do sets of pressups, pullups, situps. then good warm down and rest.

Wednsday:
morning - mild passed 6-7 miler followd by lots of stretching
Afternoon - max situps pressups and pullups (pullups x 3 only)

Thursday: rest time. eat bloody loads of good healthy food. drink lots of milk and water. have a warm shower/bath and stretch everyhing well. get loads of rest and early night.

Friday- 4.5 miler timed with a upper body workout as like the one on tuesday. eat loads and get sleep.

Saturday - bit of a chilled out day go for max. pressup, situps etc in morning with a good weights session and loads of low impact CV (swimming, cycling, cross training rowing etc)

Sunday - Weights in morning with body weight exersizes. and a swim after.

Then repeat.

what do people think of that plan?

LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

euro_andrew wrote:what do people think of that plan?
Your the bootneck here Euro, Been there and done it, so I think you probably are worth listening to :)
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!
Ross_RMR

Post by Ross_RMR »

euro_andrew wrote:
803troop wrote:
Ross_RMR wrote:Had a quick think about what i can fit in around work and family and have come up with this workout.feel free to put me right if you dont think its right;

Baz
Yeh smart thinking that.. no need to do too many miles either because you just need to be thinking bout running 3 miles in under 22.5 mins. so train around that.

no need to do 3 times max sets a day either.. stick to one. or ull get bored with it and not work as hard or just get burnt out.

Try:

Monday:
morning - max situps, pressups first then 3x 5-10 (ur max. pullups)
(have a good bloody lunch loads of carbs and protein)
afternoon - a 3mile run timed best effort. under 22.5.
(good warm down after loads of calf and leg stretching to fend of shin
splints and stress fractures. and get atleast 8 hrs of sleep)

Tuesday:
have a hard bike ride with interval training and go on the cross trainer/rower, have a good workout. Then do some fast light rep weights
and do sets of pressups, pullups, situps. then good warm down and rest.

Wednsday:
morning - mild passed 6-7 miler followd by lots of stretching
Afternoon - max situps pressups and pullups (pullups x 3 only)

Thursday: rest time. eat bloody loads of good healthy food. drink lots of milk and water. have a warm shower/bath and stretch everyhing well. get loads of rest and early night.

Friday- 4.5 miler timed with a upper body workout as like the one on tuesday. eat loads and get sleep.

Saturday - bit of a chilled out day go for max. pressup, situps etc in morning with a good weights session and loads of low impact CV (swimming, cycling, cross training rowing etc)

Sunday - Weights in morning with body weight exersizes. and a swim after.

Then repeat.

what do people think of that plan?
sounds good thanx mate.got a few questions/queries so forgive me for my ignorance/general retardedness!!

* on wednesday is it ok to switch the running to the afternoon as I start work at 5.30am so I dont have much time!!

* when u say weights,i am right in thinking its an overall workout,working chest,back,shoulders,biceps,triceps and legs?

* what are body weight exercises?
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

* on wednesday is it ok to switch the running to the afternoon as I start work at 5.30am so I dont have much time!!
- yeh it doesnt matter how u do it.. just do it on how ever it suites your life.

* when u say weights,i am right in thinking its an overall workout,working chest,back,shoulders,biceps,triceps and legs?

- nah thats too much mate.. just crack some fast light chest reps and vertical pulldown or wateva its called and some squats etc. dont worry bout isolation exersizes their not going to do you any good.

* what are body weight exercises?

- body weight exersizes are pressups, pullups, etc all exersizes that use your body weight for resistance.

Artist

Post by Artist »

Take in what Andy says people. He's been there and done it.

Never take the advice of some Twonk who "THINKS" they know the score. Only take it in from the blokes who have been there and wear/wore that Green Lid.

Andy when you up to number 6 next then Oppo?

Artist