Share This Page:

sit ups/ press ups question

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
billybud

sit ups/ press ups question

Post by billybud »

OK sorry if i'm wasting time, i'm not in the forces but joined this forum to find out more about fitness.
My strong point is running, although i'm late 40s I can do 6 miles plus every day no sweat.
Now at the end of my run i've introduced sit ups/ press ups.
Hard at first, but i've worked up to 5 sets x 12 each doing them properly (don't laugh!) after my run.
This is proving quite painful for me and I dread it as I am finishing my 6 miler!
Question is: say I do 60 press ups/ sit ups what gives most benefit ? 4 x 15, 5 x 12, 3 x 20, 2 x 30, or 6 x 10?
You lads can probably advise me. Please dont say 15 x 20!
Ria

Re: sit ups/ press ups question

Post by Ria »

billybud wrote:You lads can probably advise me.
There are ladies here too... :o
:lol: :lol:
billybud

Post by billybud »

Sorry Ria, quite right, I should have known that the Marines site is PC and values the lady's contribution . Now then, can you help me with my press ups, luv? :-? :lol:
Ria

Post by Ria »

billybud wrote: Now then, can you help me with my press ups, luv? :-? :lol:
:o :o :o :o

Try 20x30, face down in a muddy puddle..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
James720

Post by James720 »

i would do 6x10. but vary what you do. so one day do 60 in one then the next 3x20. keep changing how many or you will get bored.

hope this helps
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

Try searching this forum mate there's loads of stuff on press ups and sit ups.From my experience,doing plenty of sets of a certain amount is fine,but the best way to increase your max is.........to actually try and do your max,its not rocket science :D Keep your routine if you like,but for example every weekend try and do the most reps you can,record your score,then do another 2 sets of your max til absolute failure,keeping good form throughout of course.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

The best way ive heard to increase your max is to actualy do your max number of sit ups/press ups then halve it....and do 3 x (half your maximum amount) daily, with say for example your weekends as rest days, also try to max out once a week. Hope that makes sense.
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

:o Some people really do make things hard for themselves . The body responds to things that were slightly harder then the last time you did them (in simple terms). In other words each time you do your press ups try and beat your last max even if its by one or 5 more on your knees e.t.c thats how i prepared for R.T and it worked , all of these 6x10 or whatever programs can never beat the basics .
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.