Share This Page:

Acne ??

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Ty

Acne ??

Post by Ty »

Hey boys. Your all about to get to know me a whole lot better :-).

I heard that acne can halt your medical exam, and cause you not to get in. Is this true ??. When I run, I get a lot of red spots on my ass, and my legs and thighs from acne. Only some of them form into zits, most are just red spots, but a bunch of them. Look like a running christmas tree !. Anyone here have any idea if this will be a problem in the medical ??.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing
Artist

Re: Acne ??

Post by Artist »

Ty wrote:Hey boys. Your all about to get to know me a whole lot better :-).

I heard that acne can halt your medical exam, and cause you not to get in. Is this true ??. When I run, I get a lot of red spots on my ass, and my legs and thighs from acne. Only some of them form into zits, most are just red spots, but a bunch of them. Look like a running christmas tree !. Anyone here have any idea if this will be a problem in the medical ??.
Zits have never stopped a guy from joining the Corps. Stop worrying.

Artist
Ty

Re: Acne ??

Post by Ty »

Artist wrote:

Artist
Cheers Artist. Would be a shame to fly over from Canada just to be shunned by something ridiculous as that.

Thanks again
deshi

Post by deshi »

Artist wrote:

Artist
I had my medical a few days ago. I have no medical history of anything, no family history medically and no problems with anything covered on the medical. Apart from one thing!

My face is clear, so are my arms/chest and neck. However, I have a few very small spots on my shoulder/back. They aren't sore, they certainly aren't the pussy type spots either.

The doc said something like this..

"I'm very sorry but I'm not able to pass you medically fit."

I was like what??

He said "You have a small amount of acne on your back, and that could potentially get worse. I'm going to have to contact your GP."

I was and am shocked.. not sure what to do now. Gotta just wait..
Artist

Post by Artist »

News to me that is! We had blokes who could squeeze their zits and cover a bloody mirror with the stuff!

Artist
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

yea ill have to second what artist said, i knew guys including my self that had it quite bad, Plus lads get all sorts of infections from gorse bush and stuff like that so i think you should get a second opinion.
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

A couple of lads in my troop were excused from shaving on occasions due to bad acne if i remember rightly so as mentioned above, check it out. Could it be something to do with where the acne is on the body?
deshi

Post by deshi »

Knowing my GP was going to be receiving a letter I decided to book an appointment. Managed to get it today, so had a chat with my doc. He had received the letter that day so he had a quick read and talked it over with me briefly.

It said that I am temporarily medically unfit (which is a slight relief, seems it's a bit different than actually failing the medical. It also said that I would remain temporarily medically unfit until it had "completely cleared".

Before I went to see my doc I had a look around the net and found the medical guidance notes for the medical on a similar forum. It says:
Skin disorders
Chronic eczema or dermatitis. Severe psoriasis. Severe acne.
Now I appreciate they are only guidance, and I presume the medical doctor based his decision on it. But My situation (and my doctor agreed) is far from 'severe'.

My doc said he will reply and find out anything more he can.
deshi

Post by deshi »

rossy-d wrote:Ask your doc for roaccutane. It's one of the strongest treatment you can get but clears all after about 6 month, give or take how bad it is. Does the trick, well good. Although your not supposed to drink on em, but it's not in the front of your mind and can easily forget ;)
He did mention he could put me on that, but said "It's very toxic stuff." and didn't seem to be selling it to me!

I of course want to get rid of it asap because it seems I can't go any further in the application until it's cleared. But I've heard Roaccutane is seriously strong, is it worth the risk of getting side effects? Apparently it's only usually prescribed for people suffering really badly, seems a bit over the top for how bad mine is..
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

It really is only used as a last resort, and I wouldn't take it unless your acne was seriously bad and you'd already tried everything else.
(By bad, I mean masses of big red painful lumps, not just spots)
If it's just on your back and shoulders, you could try a body wash that contains salicylic acid, I know Neutrogena used to do one, not sure if they still do.
Otherwise, and I wouldn't normally recommend this, but sunbeds can actually help on a temporary basis. Just use a sun cream which says 'non-comedogenic' on the label.

Personally, I would say your doc is being really over the top, and a few spots should certainly not stop you joining up.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

rossy-d wrote:Oh and you look gay as f@#k when your out putting that stuff on so u'll wana hide behind some one whilst doin it or make it look liek ur scratchin ur nose quick :lol:
Girls love it when you put that stuff on mate, don't hide it. When your talking to one, just wip out the balm!! :lol:
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

It's because of the kit you'll be wearing... Webbing, daysack CBA etc. When you move it chaffes, which will aggravate any infection / acne / whatever you've got on that particular area.

It may not be severe now, but it probably will be after a good ol' fashioned flanking. You know... The kind with the oggin and sand and logs and stuff.

Good times.
Roll off...?
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

From what you have described i would say my acne is probably similar to yours or maybe worse and nothing was mentioned during my medicals. I am on prescribed medication for it though so maybe thats why? I hope your sort it out good luck mate.

Mike
Ty

Post by Ty »

I wonder if you are able to be on a roaccutane medication and still be in the Marines ?, Im currently taking it. I have been for almost 2 years, just 1 pill a day. If I stop taking it, within 2 weeks I start to break out again !. Long as Im on it, everythings perfect.
Mike1980

Post by Mike1980 »

Hi everyone. I used to be in the RAF but am looking to enlist in the Army. However I have mild acne on my back and shoulders, which I am on prescription for.
Has anyone ever been turned down for this?
Any help would be great as this is adult acne and I feel as thought I might be turned down permanently.