Share This Page:

Watch Your Nutrition Lads!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Dangermouse

Watch Your Nutrition Lads!

Post by Dangermouse »

I've just been browsing through after a while off, and every other post seems to be about training programs, but none of them cover nutrition.

Nutrition is the key to fitness, along with rest and recovery. Without these, then your training will be buggered. Remember, you are injuring your body when you train, and building your fitness up when you are resting and eating well. I'm guessing there are some people here who are training like hell but aren't seeing the results they want, or are loosing motivation because they dislike their routines. Place an emphasis on a good, well balanced diet, with enough time in between sessions for adequate rest and recovery, and your training will be all the more enjoyable and beneficial!

That is all.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Here we ago yet another home based MFAT lifestlye instructor. Nutrition isnt the key to fitness at all. Its a fairly important part but more important are consistency, understanding the law of diminishing returns, gradually increasing the amount and intensity of your workouts, flexibility, understanding your muscle makeup etc etc etc.

Show me a 5k runner who eats crap and a non-active veggie and I know which one i'll pick to be fitter.

No offence mate but there are far too many of thees type of "more knowledgable than thou" posts on here thesedays.

In Lympstone you eat as much as you possibly can at scran times doesnt really matter what it is.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

"Show me a 5k runner who eats crap and a non-active veggie and I know which one i'll pick to be fitter."

There is absolutely no logic in that statement. Nutrition is key to fitness - without the adequate nutrition, your training regime will fall apart. I didn't say that if you eat right you would get fit, or if you don't eat right you will not get fit. And were the f@#k did I say that meat is harmful? But its just f@#k common sense to eat right, and it helps to. Every professional athlete and all those who take their training seriously need to eat well!

I'm not a f@#k mfat-based nutritionist or whatevcer the f@#k you said. I'm not offering nutrition advise, i'm just suggesting people place as much emphasis on what they eat. I coulodn't give a shit what they give you at Lympstone, but i'm sure its good quality and nutritional food.

Keep your opinions to yourself if you havcent got anything constructive to say. :evil:
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Dangermouse wrote:"Show me a 5k runner who eats crap and a non-active veggie and I know which one i'll pick to be fitter."

There is absolutely no logic in that statement. Nutrition is key to fitness - without the adequate nutrition, your training regime will fall apart. I didn't say that if you eat right you would get fit, or if you don't eat right you will not get fit. And were the f@#k did I say that meat is harmful? But its just f@#k common sense to eat right, and it helps to. Every professional athlete and all those who take their training seriously need to eat well!I'm not a f@#k mfat-based nutritionist or whatevcer the f@#k you said. I'm not offering nutrition advise, i'm just suggesting people place as much emphasis on what they eat. I coulodn't give a shit what they give you at Lympstone, but i'm sure its good quality and nutritional food.

And heres my constructive feedback, there seems to be an omnipresent ring of members on here, around half a dozen strong who seem to dish out advice relevant to PRMC/RT ETC having never having walked into an AFCO.

Keep your opinions to yourself if you havcent got anything constructive to say. :evil:
So why then start a thread proclaiming exactly this?

I'll say it again its not "key" to fitness, it's an aspect of it, as in so long as your getting adequate protein and carbs and PERHAPS taking a multi vit your ok. If you don't give a shit what they eat in RT, then why the hell are you starting threads re nutrition down there?
Last edited by GGHT on Tue 03 Jun, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I meant I'm not really interested in the specifics of what they eat at Lympstone, but i've been there and know the food is good quality. Your reply just seemed to imply that it doesn't matter what people eat. Its simple, if you eat well, then you're training will be all the more efficient and effective. It's just common sense.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

"Show me a 5k runner who eats crap and a non-active veggie and I know which one i'll pick to be fitter."

Quite frankly mate, you make ridiculous statements like the above and then go onto to state that getting adequate protein and carbohydrates is important, conceeding that nutrition is important.

Whether nutrition is 'key' or not is a matter of opinion. Personally I think it is key. Eating well is not going to get you fit alone, but not eating well at all is going to have dire consequences on your traning. Just as not getting enough rest will lead to overtraining, not getting enough good food into your system is going to lead to overtraining too.

I'm not going into specifics here - i'm not a nutritionist and i'm not suggesting what people should eat. I'm just merely making a simple comment, because a lot of people on this site - i'm guessing - aren't training to thier full potential because nutrition is not seen as key.

If you've got a problem with that, then that is your problem, not mine.
southernsun

Post by southernsun »

get enough carbs, calories, fats, protiens etc and you can't go wrong.
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

GGHT wrote:In Lympstone you eat as much as you possibly can at scran times doesnt really matter what it is.
:D Too true many times I would be sitting down with a plate of pizza, chips, vegetables, gravy, salad, beans [and so on and so on...] all falling off the side of the plate. After a double phys session, it tasted fantastic. Gone in 60 seconds too.
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

What's with all the swearing?

Chill out 8)
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

LostandFound wrote:
GGHT wrote:In Lympstone you eat as much as you possibly can at scran times doesnt really matter what it is.
:D Too true many times I would be sitting down with a plate of pizza, chips, vegetables, gravy, salad, beans [and so on and so on...] all falling off the side of the plate. After a double phys session, it tasted fantastic. Gone in 60 seconds too.
Not including all the chocs, crisps lucozade etc from the NAFFI.

Yeh you dont put on a pound of fat though, mad init.
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

Dangermouse wrote:Its simple, if you eat well, then you're training will be all the more efficient and effective. It's just common sense.
So not really any need to remind people of it here is there.I'm pretty sure that the people reading these forums for fitness advice are well aware that good nutrition is important to fitness.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

GGHT wrote:Not including all the chocs, crisps lucozade etc from the NAFFI.
Think I was cliniclly addicted to chocolate brownies and oreo cookies. But your right, I must have lost a stone in the first month. Soon enough my civvy clothes hardly fit me and I was poncing round Exeter holding my jeans up to prevent dropped drawers.
Sully

Post by Sully »

8) Sounds familiar.

When I was there they introduced an extra meal at 9pm (9 o'clockers) because a study had been done suggesting levels of malnutrition amongst recruits. It was invariably pasta and chips. True enough you shovel as much scran down your neck as you can but given the calorie requirements needed for recruit training it doesn't hang about in your system long.

I think the original post is well intentioned but I don't think nutrition is the key to the type of fitness you need at CTC - maybe for a competitive athlete. It's largely irrelevant - they key to the fitness you require is determination and pushing yourself beyond 'false' barriers. I think it best not to get too hung up on food and 'optimal' conditions because you will never, ever do anything at CTC in optimal conditions. Do get used to drinking gallons of water though - whether you're thirsty or not.
Per Flank, Per Tank
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Sully wrote: I think the original post is well intentioned but I don't think nutrition is the key to the type of fitness you need at CTC - maybe for a competitive athlete. It's largely irrelevant - they key to the fitness you require is determination and pushing yourself beyond 'false' barriers. I think it best not to get too hung up on food and 'optimal' conditions because you will never, ever do anything at CTC in optimal conditions. Do get used to drinking gallons of water though - whether you're thirsty or not.
Much better put than I could Sully!
Sully

Post by Sully »

I thought that's what you were driving at bud :wink:

Here's a nutrition tip for you my friend: how about Horlicks instead of strong coffee - it may make you a bit more even-tempered :lol: :lol:

Works for me :wink:
Per Flank, Per Tank