Share This Page:

Kettlebells

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
DOUGHNUT

Kettlebells

Post by DOUGHNUT »

On a recent trip to the gym I came across a piece of equipment I have not used befor.

Do any of you use kettlebells and are they any good?
What can you do with them?
I did a quick search of the forum and couldnt find anything relevent..
Psychometric Test: Passed
Eye test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical:
PJFT:
PRMC:
RMT:
broders120

Post by broders120 »

Seen Amir Khan use them in the gym on a documentry before a fight.

He was doing up right rows and stuff like that, so can't be bad.
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Any equipment is "good" if you use them properly, there not trick weights.
Try Youtube there's plenty of Beginner guides to Kettlebells there.

They're designed to help you lift almost awkward weight, or "real world" weight as Kettleheads like to call it, rather then using a standard barbell which will never shift or attempt to get away from you.

I only ever used them for power training, kettle deadlifts, and one arm cleans. Alot of the exercises require more control and concentration then you would need to simply power up a Barbell. For instance swinging the Bell between your legs swinging it back up, allowing it to turn in mid air, before grasping it again on the way down.

Have a go at the lighter bells I'm sure they will benefit your RM training.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I own a 16 Kg gold gym kettle bell I got form Argos, I use it for cleans/snatch/press and all other various movements, I love them but they aren’t the be all and end all, they are yet another tool to be used where necessary.

I find the tough ‘ness’ really hits the core and makes the stabilizers work more than a standard dumbbell or barbell... one arm barbell lifts are also great fun.

They aren’t exactly RM specific but for an athlete or trainer they are great and they wont do you any harm in preparing for RT if done right, far from necessary though.

Basically I think there a good tool and fun to use be it strength max/explosive/endurance or cardiovascular work and if you have the cash get one and have a play around, just be careful on form etc

Stokey
DOUGHNUT

Thanks

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Thanks for all the infomation.

I have aquired two for home a 16Kg and a 12kg going to add some new moves into my training as of tomorrow.

cheers
Psychometric Test: Passed
Eye test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical:
PJFT:
PRMC:
RMT:
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Bit of topic here but when I went on a tour of Condor barracks about a year ago now the first thing that happened when I got there was be offered a Brew or 'hot wet'... made me smile.

I'm not usually a warm drink drinker (try saying that after a few beers! :lol: ) but when a Real life Royal Marine Officer :o :P offered to make me one I was honored :P

All the best

Stokey
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

Ive had kettlebells on my 'to buy' list for ages now,but have decided that ive spent far too much money on gym equipment already especially the gadgety type stuff(grippers,swiss ball,powerbreathe,press up bars,ab roll etc etc) and to be honest you dont really need all that stuff and it can lure you into a false sense of security thinking that they're magically gonna turn you into a spartan.That aside,I can see the benefits of kettlebells BUT are they really worth the extra money?If someone knows where I can get a set of really cheap ones I'd be greatful,but im not forking out loads for em when dumbells will do(I'm after 14s 16s and 18s).

I still like some gadgets though,recently forked out a small fortune on a gucci heart rate monitor(ALOT of money but its better than spending it on drink),can't recommend it enough,its the polar rs800sd for running.Amazing bit of kit and its given me great feedback on my running.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
just_me

Post by just_me »

How are kettlebells used - are they used on a lat or what?
Also in regard to grippers (if those are the little things you squeeze with your hands), opening and closing yours hands (all the way) 200 times is just as good, if not better. Try it yourself, you will feel the effects :D
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

ive spent far too much money on gym equipment already especially the gadgety type stuff(grippers,swiss ball,powerbreathe,press up bars,ab roll etc etc)
Any good?
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

degrees of passion wrote:(grippers,swiss ball,powerbreathe,press up bars,ab roll etc etc)
Out of that list the only ones I would recommend for a athlete would be abs wheel and decent grippers, I would also recommend kettle bells (the ones from Argos are as good as any but only go up to 16 KG)

This is all for an athlete though, boxing etc not necessarily a potential marine.

For some cheep idea's for kettle bells...

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewt ... ttle+bells

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewt ... ttle+bells

Just a few ideas... have a search around.

Stokey
degrees of passion

misterpurple wrote:
ive spent far too much money on gym equipment already especially the gadgety type stuff(grippers,swiss ball,powerbreathe,press up bars,ab roll etc etc)
Any good?
Well to be honest its not worth the money.I got it cos I found it hard breathing when running,but later found out that was due to sinusitus not a lack of lung power.I can see the concept of how it works,training your lungs as you would any other muscle,and I did start to manage the more difficult levels after a while BUT to be perfectly honest,unless your totally dedicated with it and use it everyday,its a waste of money.I think the little gains you might make will just be lost anyway when you go for a few weeks without it(realistically your not gonna be take it everwhere with you).

The ab roll on the other hand is well worth the money,you dont actually need it I suppose cos you can just do sit ups,but its much more intense and hits your abs harder.

I've found the grippers similar to powerbreathe,bearing in mind the SAID principle(use it or lose it),you have use them everyday consistently to get any results,and many times ive just simply forgot they are there.Now I try to just use the grippers inbetween my weight sets while im recovering waiting for the next set.They're cheap anyway I think,I got mine given but before that I used a set of big jump leads.

The swiss ball I got for about 5 quid from tesco,and for that money its great value,I've been using it mostly for core exercises.A medicine ball is also on my to buy list,but again im not sure its worth all that money.

Like I said some of these things are good but you have to use them consistently and as an addition to your normal stuff,not a subsitution.Its like buying a super-duper revision guide in school when all you need is the material given.You buy this expensive guide,think your the dogs bollocks and then use it as a paper weight thinking that somehow its magically gonna make you pass.

As far as kettlebells go,they're far too expensive and abit gimmicky in my opinion.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

The swiss ball I got for about 5 quid from tesco,and for that money its great value,I've been using it mostly for core exercises.A medicine ball is also on my to buy list,but again im not sure its worth all that money.
As a boxer I would more defiantly recommend medicine ball work... perhaps not for potential marines but as a fighter it is a great tool for getting used to impact etc (plus other exercises like slams)
As far as kettlebells go,they're far too expensive and abit gimmicky in my opinion.
I'll have to disagree here, now I’m not 100% sure on this but I herd somewhere that kettle bells have been around longer than normal dumbbells and barbells, they are truly old school training, originates from Russia I think who where and still are some of the greats strength athletes in the world but they have been made a bit 'gimmicky' by the recent main streaming of them... they are as I said just a tool something that can be used alongside other methods of training.

If you have the time and cash I’d defiantly look into them.

Stokey
degrees of passion

Yeah maybe your right,but like someone said in the link you gave,they're a fortune for what is essentially a lump of steel or iron.I may one day buy some but the price would have to drop quite a bit first.
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

kettle bells have been around longer than normal dumbbells and barbells
True.
Yeah maybe your right,but like someone said in the link you gave,they're a fortune for what is essentially a lump of steel or iron.I may one day buy some but the price would have to drop quite a bit first.
Go to a gym, free Bells!!
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Generally, any piece of gym equipment used properly is beneficial. But there are so many different choices that its sometimes best just to stick with the basics - ie: bench press, deadlifts, squats, pull ups, dips, push ups, good mornings, pull downs, etc, etc, otherwise you could find yourself spoilt for choice, which can lead to undertraining or overtraining.