Share This Page:

Head and Shoulders/Ghillie Suit

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
maritime_marine

Head and Shoulders/Ghillie Suit

Post by maritime_marine »

Im in RT at the moment and need to make a Head and Shoulders. Ive attatched the fish net to the jungle hat and thats it so far. Whats the best way of putting the hessien sack onto the head and shoulders with the frayed natural look?
RT 8th October
Second Place is the First Loser.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

brooksey should know. :lol:
He'll also fascinate you with how he once sold a car to a bloke that had to fist him up the arse first.
I'm willing to bet that one is actually true.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
southernsun

Post by southernsun »

Massage into lather on scalp, let rest for a minute or two then rinse, if you get any in eyes then rinse them thorougly, if eye problems persist seek medical advice.

on a serious note, try reading these, one might have the right answer;

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/vie ... 92089.html

read the last post on that it might have the information you seek, young padowan. :wink:
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

AJtothemax wrote:brooksey should know. :lol:
He'll also fascinate you with how he once sold a car to a bloke that had to fist him up the arse first.
I'm willing to bet that one is actually true.

Keep up the good work! :lol: :lol:
Application submitted: 28-03-08
Psychometric tests: 10-04-08 (Passed)
Eyetest: 21-04-08 (Passed 6/6)
Medical: 08-05-08 (Passed)
Interview: 21-05-08 (Passed)
PJFT: 21/11/08 (Passed)
PRMC: 27/01/09 (Passed)
RT: 23/03/09
"You create the pain, YOU can make it go away"
Artist

Post by Artist »

Have a word with Brooksey!

Seriously though. Dhoby the hessian then take it out onto the river Ex and cover it in mud. Dhoby it again, repeat the procedure and then repeat it yet again.

Wrap your hand in and then ask one of the civvies in the G1098 store if they have any owd scrim you could proff. It worked for me!

Artist
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

cut the sandbag into strips roughly 10cm long and a couple cm thick. for around the top of the head thread a strip through a hole in the scrim net and tie it as if you were tying a shoelace (the first part where you go left over right and pull it tight). That will happily stay on.

For around the sides and mainly down the back where it'll cover your neck and back of head, cut into a sandbag strip lengthways to about half way along the strip (imagine making a snakes tongue effect in the strip) thread the two smaller strands upwards through the scrim net and tie them off. The uncut half of the strip should hang down towards the floor. Doing it this way will cover more of the surface area with less strips.

Once your happy, take it outside, find a damp patch of dirt and trample it into the ground. This is mainly to give it a more natural colour but will help fray the sandbag strips. These will naturally fray further over time just through wear and tear.

Making a head and shoulders can be a bit of an epic but the only way to get a decent one is to put the time into it. If my memory serves me right i think i used a hole sandbag on mine, if not two.

All the best,
ben
POC: Passed 21 June '06
AIB: Passed 28 June '06
AIB round 2: Failed!
PRMC: 26 June '07: Passed
RT: 24th Sept '07
Week 27 - Final Ex after Easter leave - blargh
Mrs Bevell of the AIB is still officially the nicest lady in the world.
Artist

Post by Artist »

fubar84 wrote:cut the sandbag into strips roughly 10cm long and a couple cm thick. for around the top of the head thread a strip through a hole in the scrim net and tie it as if you were tying a shoelace (the first part where you go left over right and pull it tight). That will happily stay on.

For around the sides and mainly down the back where it'll cover your neck and back of head, cut into a sandbag strip lengthways to about half way along the strip (imagine making a snakes tongue effect in the strip) thread the two smaller strands upwards through the scrim net and tie them off. The uncut half of the strip should hang down towards the floor. Doing it this way will cover more of the surface area with less strips.

Once your happy, take it outside, find a damp patch of dirt and trample it into the ground. This is mainly to give it a more natural colour but will help fray the sandbag strips. These will naturally fray further over time just through wear and tear.

Making a head and shoulders can be a bit of an epic but the only way to get a decent one is to put the time into it. If my memory serves me right i think i used a hole sandbag on mine, if not two.

All the best,
ben
Avoid using new hessian. Try and get your hands on some old manky stuff as it's far easier to use. Another good tip which may sound daft to a few of you is to keep your eyes peeled when a recruit troop comes back from their final ex as they tend to bin their old head and shoulders once they are sure of doing Kings Squad.

Also get yer arse around the back of the G1098 store as thats where a lot of BLR (Beyond Local Repair) stuff gets binned in the big skips once it's deemed past it's sell by date. I got most of my gillysuits bits n bobs from a skip round there when I was on my Snipers course in 1975. 1975 or 2008, cam is still the same lads.

Artist
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

Artist wrote:Avoid using new hessian. Try and get your hands on some old manky stuff as it's far easier to use. Another good tip which may sound daft to a few of you is to keep your eyes peeled when a recruit troop comes back from their final ex as they tend to bin their old head and shoulders once they are sure of doing Kings Squad.

Also get yer arse around the back of the G1098 store as thats where a lot of BLR (Beyond Local Repair) stuff gets binned in the big skips once it's deemed past it's sell by date. I got most of my gillysuits bits n bobs from a skip round there when I was on my Snipers course in 1975. 1975 or 2008, cam is still the same lads.

Artist
Definately. For some reason the white thread they use to stitch up one side of the hessian sack turns bright green, still not quite sure why :o
POC: Passed 21 June '06
AIB: Passed 28 June '06
AIB round 2: Failed!
PRMC: 26 June '07: Passed
RT: 24th Sept '07
Week 27 - Final Ex after Easter leave - blargh
Mrs Bevell of the AIB is still officially the nicest lady in the world.