Share This Page:

dragon skin body armor

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
ironrob64

dragon skin body armor

Post by ironrob64 »

Dragon skin body armor - I know we are allowed to buy own equipment regarding boots and sights etc. but what about body armor. I've looked at a fair bit of info on this and would rather go on a tour with it than standard body armor! does anyone know if we would be allowed to import it in and use it?

If you don't know what dragon skin body armor is here's a link if you want to go straight to the bullet tests its about 5 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNY1MtsVwG8

cheers.
Gimpy

Post by Gimpy »

Just out of interest, roughly how much does it cost for the kind of thing you'd wear out in the field?

I had a look around their website but couldn't find any prices.
Pendo

Post by Pendo »

I'd feel alot safer with that dragon skin lark rather than standard issue. On Commando On The Frontline they say it wont stop a bullet, just keep your insides inside haha.
ironrob64

Post by ironrob64 »

The prices I've come across are around 4-5000$ so 2-2500GBP (my pound symbol doesn't work). weather you willing to spend thousands on armor is up to you and how much of a difference you think it will make.

Rob.
Gimpy

Post by Gimpy »

If I were about to start a tour somewhere like Afghanistan then I'd definitely fork out for it if I thought it was better than the standard issue malarkey.

£2.5k for your internal organs sounds like a bargain :)
lil_dinger_bell

Post by lil_dinger_bell »

So Royal Marines and Officers alike have the option to buy their own kit? I thought the Royals wanted the same issued kit for all....

---If not I think I'll buy a 416, dragon skins, and a rocket pack so I can hover above the battlefield dropping plasma grenades.....done.

...or I'll get all the things on 'future weapons.'...don't know if you guys get that Amercian show....but it's pretty sick.
RT Test - May 1st - ?
Medical Examination - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

Dont you think its a little early to be worrying about body armour? The stuff you use during training is different to the stuff you actually use on tour. It indeed wont stop a round as you wear it without the plates which can stop a round. When you realise how heavy they are then you will be happy you dont need to wear it during training! The stuff you wear on ops is called Osprey and I believe that the criticisms have been about its portability rather than any ballistic properties
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

hey guys, just got back and you're not allowed to change your body armor, that is due to insurance, you won't be insured if you don't wear pussers kit, plus the osprey is a good bit of kit, its just heavy as a mother and hot as anything.
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
?Who Shot Terry Taliban?

Post by ?Who Shot Terry Taliban? »

The only way you could wear that was if the MOD issued it to every soldier.
After watching that video looks like the Americans will be using it soon so once its been tried and tested maybe the MOD will look into it.
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Hankins wrote:hey guys, just got back and you're not allowed to change your body armor, that is due to insurance, you won't be insured if you don't wear pussers kit, plus the osprey is a good bit of kit, its just heavy as a mother and hot as anything.
Having not been "in" so I dont know, would the current armour stop a AK round? Cos if not, in my mind id rather not have insurance and know my insides were staying put, rather than having a colostomy bag and a insurance pay out.
Application submitted: 28-03-08
Psychometric tests: 10-04-08 (Passed)
Eyetest: 21-04-08 (Passed 6/6)
Medical: 08-05-08 (Passed)
Interview: 21-05-08 (Passed)
PJFT: 21/11/08 (Passed)
PRMC: 27/01/09 (Passed)
RT: 23/03/09
"You create the pain, YOU can make it go away"
?Who Shot Terry Taliban?

Post by ?Who Shot Terry Taliban? »

Taxman wrote:
Hankins wrote:hey guys, just got back and you're not allowed to change your body armor, that is due to insurance, you won't be insured if you don't wear pussers kit, plus the osprey is a good bit of kit, its just heavy as a mother and hot as anything.
Having not been "in" so I dont know, would the current armour stop a AK round? Cos if not, in my mind id rather not have insurance and know my insides were staying put, rather than having a colostomy bag and a insurance pay out.
If it hit the plate you insert then it would stop or deflect a round but if it didn't hit the plate chances are it wont, but there not just about stopping bullets theres other things like shrapnel also.
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

the current osprey out in afghan is capable of taking 5 point blank shots from a dragunov which is 7.62 x 54r and it won't penetrate, so it gives you more then ample protection and the way the plates are designed it spreads the energy of where the shot hits you so you don't get too messed from internal bleeding.
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
MrC

Post by MrC »

I read somewhere that the quality of the dragonskin deteriorates when it is hit with bullets, so it needs replacing each time it is hit, apparently this is the reason the US military turned down the contract and have banned their soldiers from buying/using it.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Stick to what your issued with.

Can't believe blokes are asking such (to my mind) daft questions. If every Tom Dick and Harry bought their own personal body armour it would look like Fred Carnos Army out on patrol with each and everyone wearing different rigs. As it is your boss's will tell you to wear what is issued.

Prior to my second tour in NI I splashed out and bought a SUIT sight for my SLR. Lo and Behold two weeks before we deployed the unit was issued with SUIT sights! Cue a mega sad on as I was out of pocket to the tune of £40+ (canna remember the exact cost). Back then my weekly pay was £26 a week. I was not alone, most switched on blokes bought them as well.

Stick to Pussers and you will not go wrong in other words. In time the best kit is sussed and issued by the MOD.

Artist
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Fak lugging dragonskin round. Before I joined the army I thought I would buy all the best equipment, be Mr Invincible and have the taliban running. Now If I could I would run round with just a rifle and a gonk bag. Had a guy on our platoon attack at warcop empty a bottle of water just before the attack because it was extra weight. He ofcourse ended crawling around but when your running around the last thing you want is weight.