Share This Page:

Energy drinks really do work!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
billybud

Post by billybud »

Bit disappointing to see these young lads trying out supplements - are they secretly doubting their abilities to cope with the training?
Are they looking for a short cut to make it easier, that isn't there?
As a runner who has been in athletics a long time and runs most days I can tell you what works for me:
Pre run - just a drink of tap water, main thing is try to leave min 2 hrs after meal before training if you can - or you will probably feel sluggish.
After run - drink of tap water. Ocassionly after a long run and I feel knackered I will drink Lucozade Sport (this is flat Luc & more dilute than the normal) I add more water to it so that i'm taking in a bit of glucose and plenty of water. After a run get a meal inside you within an hour or so to restock your body.
Meal time now: carbohydrates (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread)
Protein: from lean meat: fish, chicken, don't really have much red meat.
Vitamins: Fresh fruit & veg (struggle with this)
Fat: You're probably taking in plenty already from all the processed foods, but some good quality lean ham is OK.
Beer: Good source of carbo - a couple of pints is good, but difficult to stop there!
Cut out the crap: crisps, biscuits, choc bars, fry ups, burgers, takeaways etc.
Get plenty of sleep.
OK, I don't follow the above religiously, but you get the idea. Sacrifices have to be made to get fit, there is no quick route.
:D
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Billybud,

Even top athletes use supplements mate, and I'm sure nobody is doubting their ability.

I'm only speaking on my behalf, but to me supplements are exactly what they say, supplements.....just the icing on the cake. Personally, I would only ever use certain supplements if my diet was in check. I certainly do not use supplements as a shortcut, we all know there is know shortcut to earning the right to wear a green beret, but if for e.g. I believe taking some BCAA's before training will help me achieve my goals, even it is just a little, I will sure as hell do it.

I don't know if your were being serious about beer, but alcohol is a source of energy in it's own right (9 kcal/g ) the same as fat, and it actually inhibits our ability to use carbohydrate for fuel. As for recommending Ham to get your fat lol, there are much better options out there, for e.g. nuts and certain fish like salmon maybe.
- If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training

- Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did
billybud

Post by billybud »

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Billybud,
I don't know if your were being serious about beer, but alcohol is a source of energy in it's own right (9 kcal/g ) the same as fat, and it actually inhibits our ability to use carbohydrate for fuel. As for recommending Ham to get your fat lol, there are much better options out there, for e.g. nuts and certain fish like salmon maybe.
Point taken, Luke - beer is not bad for you at all, no harm in a couple of pints after training, it's just that our drinking culture tends to encourage hammering it down! We need a small amount of fat in our diets i'm just saying try not to get it from pork pies and sausage sarnies! Yes, I forgot about nuts - good point - you're obviously a veggie! :)
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

billybud wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:Billybud,
Point taken, Luke - beer is not bad for you at all, no harm in a couple of pints after training, it's just that our drinking culture tends to encourage hammering it down! We need a small amount of fat in our diets i'm just saying try not to get it from pork pies and sausage sarnies! Yes, I forgot about nuts - good point - you're obviously a veggie! :)
No you're right, you've got to get the balance. You're bang on though about our drink culture, especially in the corps, if anything I need to get a little more down me prior to training, as I'm a bit of a lightweight. No mate definately not a veggie, and when I said nuts, I meant chilli peanuts or toffee covered almonds haha!!!
- If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training

- Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did
billybud

Post by billybud »

Luke,
I've just googled BCAA to find out what you were talking about.
Seems serious stuff to me - aren't these bodybuilding supplements, do you really need it?
I'm a member of an amateur athletics club and we have fellas doing 5K in 14 minutes, half marathons in 66 mins, representing their county. They do it on mashed potato and Guinness. They are a bit skinny though. :lol:
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

billybud wrote:Luke,
I've just googled BCAA to find out what you were talking about.
Seems serious stuff to me - aren't these bodybuilding supplements, do you really need it?
I'm a member of an amateur athletics club and we have fellas doing 5K in 14 minutes, half marathons in 66 mins, representing their county. They do it on mashed potato and Guinness. They are a bit skinny though. :lol:
Guiness and mashed potato, will have to try that one lol. For some reason mate BCAA's are primarily aimed at bodybuilders, as are a lot of supplements (maybe the're the easiest to market to, who knows). Infact years ago I was into bodybuilding and that's how I began using supplements. Personally, I have found BCAA's excellent in preserving lean mass while ridding the body of fat. I tend to take about 10g prior to training, 10g during if I'm in the gym, followed by 10g post-workout usually with some water, honey and protein. I use either Purple Wraath by Controlled Labs, or Xtend by Scivation. I'm sure I could get by without them mate, and I know I would have to in training, but for now the pros outweigh the cons.

Maybe our differing views on supplements, reside from out differing sporting/training backgrounds???

Gimpy

Post by Gimpy »

AJtothemax wrote: Also, if you refer to your's as looking like Yoda, I'd see a doctor sharpish. :roll:
Whoa whoa whoa, so you're saying that my old chap SHOULDN'T be green, wrinkly and covered in tufts of grey hair??? :o

Shit. :(