Share This Page:

restarting

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
DOUGHNUT

restarting

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Hello all
I'm new to this forum and am posting to say hello to everyone.
I started to join the Marines just over a year ago, got as far as the interview stage after psychometric test but was struggling with fitness.
I then backed away from the Marines for a while because I was not ready to join. I wanted to gain some life experience first I suppose.

3 weeks ago I decided I was now ready to join so I have started training.
All was going well in the first 2 weeks I managed to cut my 2.4k time down by 2min 30secs to 11.20 and made great improvement on my press and sit ups but I am now struggling.

I'm suffering with a pain in my lower leg just to the inside of my tibia I think its a shin splint but I have not been to the doctor yet. I am in two minds as to rest or run through it but at the moment I can't manage more than a mile, but I am cracking on with my press ups ect anyway.

Has anyone got any advice on treatment?

Also is there anyone in Gosport, Hampshire are that is after a training partner but is willing to start from a very easy step?
Psychometric Test: Passed
Eye test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical:
PJFT:
PRMC:
RMT:
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

Rest, running through it will make the pain worse. You might have started off doing too much too soon so just progress into training.
"The only time you should start worrying about a soldier is when they stop bitchin'."
Congrats 946Trp
DOUGHNUT

thanks

Post by DOUGHNUT »

True I think you are right I should rest it.

Might try a little swimming while it is healing.
Medical:
PJFT:
PRMC:
RMT:
alexlite

Post by alexlite »

Hi

I've just joined this forum too. I've been only been training for a week and yesterday I just realised how much of a task it is just to get to a decent PRMC level. I've always been athletic and a few years ago I would say I was very fit but I haven't exercised properly in years and now it shows - mainly on press-ups as I can only manage about 15 (not too far away from recommended 60 in two minutes lol!). The 1.5 mile test not so bad - first time did it in 12.33 and last time I got 11.32.

I live in Southampton quite near the sports centre so I'm not too far away from Gosport.

Anyone in Southampton???
DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

I know what you mean I was doing well with the run time untill I started getting pains.
To be honist I am starting from a crap level of fitness and need to get rid of a small belly.
I can now do 20 press ups ish but 3 weeks ago I could only manage 5 which is crap.
I have found it is important to concentrate more on little goals than the final one ie cutting 30 sec of you last time or doing 5 more press ups.

Please pay more attention to your spelling and grammar.
"I"is capitalised always,no exceptions.A little attention to detail now will reap benefits in the future.

W.
Medical:
PJFT:
PRMC:
RMT:
alexlite

Post by alexlite »

I've got that little problem of the belly to get rid of. I hope the combination of running and sit-ups will do the job.

That's sounds like a good improvement on your push ups. I'm no expert but if I can increase mine by 5 a week I'll be very happy.

Hope you recover quickly. I'm a Reiki Master (Japanese healing technique) almost a bit embaressed of it 'cos it's a bit weird but I'll send you some healing remotely around 12.30 today - yes believe it or not it's possible! - I hope it helps.

I've signed up for the Royal Marines Get Fit To Apply thing on their website and I should be getting my first training email today. Oh the excitement!

You're right I'll have to take it step by step or it will seem like too much.
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

alexlite wrote:I've got that little problem of the belly to get rid of. I hope the combination of running and sit-ups will do the job.
Its a myth that sit ups will get rid of your belly fat, it's not as simple as exercising the area, you have to lose overall body fat (unfortunately it seems to me that the belly is the first place you put weight on and the last place you lose it :evil: ) but running should do the trick.
alexlite wrote: I'm a Reiki Master (Japanese healing technique) almost a bit embaressed of it 'cos it's a bit weird but I'll send you some healing remotely around 12.30 today - yes believe it or not it's possible!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bollocks!
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
DOUGHNUT

My plan

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Yes it is unfortunately true that you can not just get rid of a belly. I am going to see a doctor on Friday if it dose not start to heal but I think it is going to take weeks rather than days. In the mean time I am bumping up my upper body exercises and going swimming to take the pressure off my legs and feet which is the source of the problem.
Medical:
PJFT:
PRMC:
RMT:
alexlite

Post by alexlite »

degrees of passion wrote:Its a myth that sit ups will get rid of your belly fat, it's not as simple as exercising the area, you have to lose overall body fat (unfortunately it seems to me that the belly is the first place you put weight on and the last place you lose it :evil:
Yeah that makes sense, never really thought about it, most of the problem seems like the gut is bloated - way to much beer for years, if I suck it in it looks fine! Still I hope it doesn't take too long to go.

degrees of passion wrote:Bollocks!
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned that on here! :lol:

Doughnut - keep us updated on your progress
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

If it works for you then fine horses for courses and all that. Personally I like to take the realist and scientific approach and think that it's mostly sh!te, and the miniscule effect it may have is down to the placebo effect. But hey whatever floats your boat :D
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
DOUGHNUT

Just an update

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Just posting to let you all know of my progress my legs appear to have cleared up so tomorrow I will be starting my training up again.
Think I will crank the speed down a bit for the first week just to be on the safe side though.

On another note is anyone taking part in the zoo tough guy competition?
Medical:
PJFT:
PRMC:
RMT:
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

DOUGHNUT wrote:Please pay more attention to your spelling and grammar.
"I"is capitalised always,no exceptions.A little attention to detail now will reap benefits in the future.

W.
With reference to that, who is it with the sig that says:

'Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse" ?? :D

Member's should remember that one.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

hehe... that'd be me matey :)

Edit to add; Well it use to be until I started tracking my progress through my application.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Illustrious wrote:hehe... that'd be me matey :)

Edit to add; Well it use to be until I started tracking my progress through my application.
Proper good job mate. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

4 weeks of training and i was ready for PRMC and i hadn't done any sort of training before this . It's all in your head gentlemen , anyone can run 3 miles , crack out 35-40 press ups , 50 sit ups and 4 or 5 pull ups , unless your seriously unfit then these scores are within every average mans levels. On your note Doughnut i would rest the injury and do some low impact training in the meantime.
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.