Share This Page:

A-levels or Uni degree?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Pendo

A-levels or Uni degree?

Post by Pendo »

I was just wondering, would my chances of getting accepted onto the intake for officers differ if I had a Degree or A-levels?

Basically. am I more likely to get accepted if i have a Uni degree ? Or is it more about how I perform in POC and AIB?

Cheerss.
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

Its very rare that I hear of anyone with less then a degree passing the final decision for the young officers course. This is simply because it proves you're academically at a good level and also have had a good amount of life experiance, E.G living away from home , more responsibility e.t.c.
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
MrC

Post by MrC »

As above, most people who don't go with degrees seem to be told to come back in a 'few years' when they have more life experience.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Use the good old search button as I am pretty sure I myself have asked this question before.
It's your choice at the end of the day whether you go to uni or not and should be made on the basis of whether you want to or not. Personally I don't want to so I am taking a gap year to get some good life experience under my belt and then joining. My friend is going to uni then joining. I think as long as you have the experience behind you and you have the needed qualities (mainly fitness but there are others that shouldn't be overlooked) then you wil be accepted. That is the way I see it based on conversations both on here and with the recruiters.
Anyway, there are a few topics on this subject floating around so have a nose.

Mitch
Psychometric test - Passed!
Initial interview - Passed!
TBC
Pendo

Post by Pendo »

Would a stint in the RMR after A-levels give me the same chance as a graduate entry recruit?

Because I don't think I could afford tuition fees, and I'm not up for getting into debt when I'm 17.
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Pendo wrote:Would a stint in the RMR after A-levels give me the same chance as a graduate entry recruit?

Because I don't think I could afford tuition fees, and I'm not up for getting into debt when I'm 17.
Possibly.

The government can pay for all you need at Uni if your parents can't afford for you to go. Have a look on the UCAS website for info about loans and stuff.

David
steveg16

Post by steveg16 »

Hi mate,
if you're worried about the cost of Uni then don't be. Nowadays anyone can afford to go. Normally the amount of loan you get is income assessed based on your parents/guardians earnings. Obviously the more they earn, the less you get.
On top of that alot of uni's give bursaries out. For example in a typical loan payment (3 per year) I get around £1100. However, a few people I know get around £170. This includes around £600 which they don't ever have to pay back! On top of that they just got a payment from the actual uni for £700-£1000 which they don't have to pay back!
My only tip is do a degree which is worth while. Too many of my friends have done business and they are now finding they can't do anything with it.
Regards, Steve
Jack1988

Post by Jack1988 »

When I did my POC, I had only A levels (or I was about to achieve them), they did say it would be helpful if I went to uni. I was actually doing my POC and AIB for a bursary, to be paid(about £2/3,000 a year, i think?) to go get a degree.

Plus the fact if you have a degree (also making you over 21), you a promoted to 1st lieutenant/Captain, a hell of a lot quicker compared to otherwise. Also you get to experience the life of being a bum, and all the fit, up for anything totti/men(?) that comes with getting that degree!
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Jack1988 wrote:When I did my POC, I had only A levels (or I was about to achieve them), they did say it would be helpful if I went to uni. I was actually doing my POC and AIB for a bursary, to be paid(about £2/3,000 a year, i think?) to go get a degree.

Plus the fact if you have a degree (also making you over 21), you a promoted to 1st lieutenant/Captain, a hell of a lot quicker compared to otherwise. Also you get to experience the life of being a bum, and all the fit, up for anything totti/men(?) that comes with getting that degree!
1st Lieutenant? In the Royal Marines? Hmmmm......
lodge939

Post by lodge939 »

Degree. I was told at my AFCO there wasn't one 18 year old in the 2007 YO batch.
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

I passed POC and AIB with a B, C and E at A-Level. Selection for the batch is extremely competitive and even after passing you're not guaranteed a place (hence why I'm not in one :lol:)

I have heard since that only around 9% or YO's have no degree, so although you can pass an AIB without a degree (for direct entry or for a bursery) I personally feel it will improve your chances.
POC: Passed 21 June '06
AIB: Passed 28 June '06
AIB round 2: Failed!
PRMC: 26 June '07: Passed
RT: 24th Sept '07
Week 27 - Final Ex after Easter leave - blargh
Mrs Bevell of the AIB is still officially the nicest lady in the world.
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

Lol yeah I'm 'just' a regular marine. Still in training - week 27
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

Lol yeah I'm 'just' a regular marine. Still in training - week 27
Not long now then. Keep up the good work :D
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

Noo noo didn't mean it liek that, liek if you've completed officer training and become a normal marine.
A 'normal' marine you say? :evil:
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

Cheers, will do. Nothing short of an exocet is gonna keep me from getting out of lympstone!