Share This Page:

30 press ups to 50 in less than 1 week!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Joe-T

30 press ups to 50 in less than 1 week!

Post by Joe-T »

Yes, It's true! I went from a maximum of 30 to 50 in 6 days! I've been stuck at 30 press ups for about 3 months now and I just couldn't push past it, I was doing about 5 sets till failure everyday (except Sunday) and it was really getting me down that I wasn't getting any better.

So I started to train in a different way, I would set my alarm to go off every 30 minutes from around 10 AM untill around 5 PM and I would do as many press ups (the correct Marine way) as I could. Thats it, 1 set of max press ups every 30 minutes. I'm not sure if anyone else has ever mentioned doing them this way.

Now, I could only manage to do 50 by resting in between some of the reps near the end (arms stretched outwards and locked, I think they allow this during PRMC), but without rests I can now do 36 without stopping.

Now I would like to know if you think this is a good method of training? Are there any ways I can improve on it? Is going from 30 to 36 (both without rests) in less than a week actually good? Or am I just getting all excited over nothing? :lol:
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

That may work on a short-term basis mate , but I would think if you carried on with this training method then you will be doing nothing but overtraining . When I was preparing for R.T the best press up training technique I had was having an oppo place a 20kg plate on my back and then go to failure. When the plate's removed it's so easy to crack out a lot more press ups.
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
agapito

Post by agapito »

In my training programme I do exactly what it says on the Royal Marine website, 3x's max with an extra push at the end, I'm currently doing 59 before my left arm gives in.

Just a friendly tip dont overtrain and develop an injuiry before your RT.
Artist

Post by Artist »

12 weeks into Cdo training and you will be doing pressups in your sleep.

Boots not clean enough? "Give me 20!"

Rust on your Rifle? "Give me 50!"

Hacked off the Troop Stripey? "Give me rucks!"

Pressups?.............They come with the course during Cdo training. I really can't understand why so many of you shit a brick over them? Just wait until you do the owd "Legs raise, apart, together, down" start really worrying gentlemen when this form of total torture kicks off!

Anyone who's been and done Cdo Training will know full well what I'm going on about, if they don't then take it as read that they have never been to CTCRM.

Artist