Share This Page:

AACC Preparation

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
LaughingBuddha

AACC Preparation

Post by LaughingBuddha »

Folks,

I am likely (after much badgering of my appointer) to be given a place on All Arms later this year. I'm in the process of training myself at the moment as I am on leave, and hence have no real definite idea as to what I should be doing. I've read through the POC and PRMC diaries but was hoping that someone on here could give me some sort of idea as to what level of preparation I would need to acheive prior to going on AACC? I have arranged to attend a beat-up with an Army unit immediately prior to course, but obviously want to make best use of the intervening time.

At the moment, I am running 30 miles per week; generally steady paced runs on hilly terrain (5-6 miles), I am also starting some interval training and hill repeats. My latest beep test was 13-1, and I cracked out a 2.4km run in 8.50 Whilst neither of these are particularly relevant to AACC, they give some indication of where I am physically. In terms of upper body strength, I can do 12 pull ups with strict form, and am able to do six sets of 6 without too much trouble.

I am happy to establish my bona fides via PM in order to prove that I am not a walt!

Many thanks,
faddius

Post by faddius »

If you are looking for some good accounts of the AACC worth looking at 59 Cdo RE's page http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/o ... /index.htm

They have a good description of their conditioning course, pre-AACC and the AACC and personal accounts of a NCO and 2Lt on the courses.

Hope that helps a bit :-?
Artist

Post by Artist »

If your fitness is 100% then the next thing you need to do is to get your soldiering skills up to scratch. Far to many times the Training teams have to spend time re-teaching basic infantry skills to AACC bods. And this is time they can ill afford.

Artist
LaughingBuddha

Post by LaughingBuddha »

Cheers folks. I've had a quick look at the RE pages and have found the article very useful.

I'm not sure if my fitness is 100% just yet; there is always room for improvement! I just want to avoid turning up on course and making a complete tool of myself.

Thanks for the advice and the link.
Shrek The Royal

Post by Shrek The Royal »

Your fitness levels sound ok fella, I used to be on the All Arms team, what lets people down is their skills and drills, and poor attitude towards the course.
stretch

Post by stretch »

Good advice would be to do some circuits I think mate, to get your heart rate used to yo-yoing up and down, as several times when I was a nod at CTC I saw the AACC getting a right going over on the bottom field by the PTI's. It seems this is common to every course and there isn't really any way of getting acclimatised to thrashings, so circuits and interval stuff would probably be your best bet.
Good luck!