Share This Page:

What would you recommend?-Training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Manchester United

What would you recommend?-Training

Post by Manchester United »

I have only just recently started training and I am weight training on Mondays, CV on Tuesdays, weights on Wednesday, etc etc then rest on Sundays. Would you reccommend I just give up the weights, because I am strong for my age (the other day in PE we had a little compo for fun and I came second I lifted 64KG and the person who came first lifted 0.5 more than me so strengh isn't really an issue).

Just wondering, because I think I should just do CV, just looking for a more experienced opinion.

Thanks, Karl.
15-RMC

Post by 15-RMC »

First off, if you are at a young age, then I think dropping your weights is personally a good idea, however I believe that used correctly they can bring benefits. Concentrate on your pressups, pull ups and situps as a priority. Also have a search, as this forum is a well of useful and brilliant knowledge.

Remember that any pressups, situps and pullups are done correctly.
If you go to the Royal Marines site and use their training tool, this is the ideal plan to follow.

All the best.
Find out about the Royal Marines Commandos 17th October 2001
Begin training- December 2005
Apply- 2009
Medical-2009
PJFT-2009
PRMC-2009
Manchester United

Cheers, mate :) I am currently using the royal marines training tool, :) but with a few modifications.
I am going to drop the weights I think.
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Have a look at this first Karl.

http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ht=karlbfc

Weights aren't that important yet, just build your CV fitness up progressively. Also make sure you are regulary doing press-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups. If you are 'strong' for your age then I wouldn't worry about the weight training, if you get on a PRMC/POC then you won't be carrying any heavy weights. Leg and upper body stregth are important but your running will help with your legs and the body work sets that you do will help with you upper body strength.

This will be helpful as well, did you have a look at it when it was recommended to you last time?

Still going for RM Officer?

Edit: was typing this when 15-RMC was posting as well
Manchester United

Lol, I guess you recognised me. :roll:
Yes as it says above I am using the Royal Marine training tool, and the reason I asked again was because I still hadn't decided and there are a few new people on this site now and was looking for their opinion.
MonsterMunch

Post by MonsterMunch »

Unless you're seriously young, resistance training holds no age-relevant dangers. All this "it stunts your growth" and stuff is gash. The only real problem is if seriously young then the developing bones and muscles may not be ready for resistance training.

However, the general problem is that kids tend to have crap form in an attempt to lift heavier weights than they can handle. So, work out sensibly and weights will be a good part of your workouts.

I'd leave the weights in, but maybe take them down to once or twice a week max, and concentrate on compound exercises that work all your muscles together. Along side these, do your bodyweight exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups) and you should get in great physical shape.

Try putting the following lifts into your workout:
Squats
Deadlifts
Close-grip, palms-up pulldowns
Dips
Military press behind-neck
Standing calf raises
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

MonsterMunch wrote:Military press behind-neck
I would cut the behind the neck version out. Theres no benefit to doing it behind the head, more chance of injuring your shoulders. Shoulder press goes to the top of your chest, always.
"The only time you should start worrying about a soldier is when they stop bitchin'."
Congrats 946Trp
Brian-

Re: What would you recommend?-Training

Post by Brian- »

Manchester United wrote:(the other day in PE we had a little compo for fun and I came secound I lifted 64KG and the person who came first lifted 0.5 more than me so strengh isn't really an issue)
What kind of lift was it? Just curious.
MonsterMunch

Post by MonsterMunch »

Actually, doing it behind your neck is better as there is more back involvment than chest, therefore you not only train your back, but also the weight is held by your delts, traps and triceps as opposed to most of it being tackled on your chest.

This is the reason you're "more likely" to damage your shoulders. You need to take a lower weight than normal as you're using smaller muscle groups to hold the weight. A normal military press is basically just a really inclined bench press..
Manchester United

Hmmmm, im not sure what it's called when I go back to school (it's half term :p) I'll try and find out for you. It was on a machine, which is easier than on a bar, on a bar bench pressing I can do around 45-50 KG I think not 100%. The bench that we did the competition involved sitting down on this chair attached to the machine and basically lifting it upwards.
Not very well explained but I did my best :lol:
MonsterMunch

Post by MonsterMunch »

Sounds like a shoulder press...
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

As your shoulders are extended too far behind a normal range of movement, or you bend your neck foreward ruining your neutral spine position. A shoulder press is not a very inclined bench press :roll:
If you want to train your back, train it with a different exercise.
"The only time you should start worrying about a soldier is when they stop bitchin'."
Congrats 946Trp
MonsterMunch

Post by MonsterMunch »

Oh, ok, I guess Mike Mentzer was wrong then :/
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

MonsterMunch wrote:Oh, ok, I guess Mike Mentzer was wrong then :/
Just because a professional athlete does something doesn't always make it right. Take Arnold for example, he used to do leg curls because he believed it gave him deep cut leg muscles... we later came to find that this was not true.

Ok this lift may work for certain individuals, you may do them all your life an not see any negative side affects, but someone else might do a certain exercise and straight away injure them selves.

It’s all about caution and calculated risk taking.

Stokey
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Calculated risk?

You mean like a night in with Harry? :o :roll: 8)