Share This Page:

Testing for asthma

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Gimpy

Testing for asthma

Post by Gimpy »

How do the RM test for asthma (e.g. peak flow, spirometry test etc), and when are the tests carried out?

I had it as a kid but it cleared up about 15 years ago and I've never had it since. However I do sometimes get a slight wheeze after exercise, especially if it's cold, but it doesn't affect my fitness at all- I can run just as far and at the same pace as when it isn't there.

It does concern me a bit though in case it were somehow detected and they looked at my medical history and just assumed that the asthma was still there.
Is this likely, or would questions like that only arise if my physical fitness started to suffer?
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Gimpy,

Best thing to do mate is go for a check up if your at all worried. It's better that you find out now if there is a problem than having a delayed application or getting medically discharged later on. I couldn't tell you if you have a problem or not, so if your worried, go and get it checked on by your GP.
How do the RM test for asthma (e.g. peak flow, spirometry test etc), and when are the tests carried out?
Think you've answered your own question there mate. The test will probably be done if you pass the physcometric and interview. Althogh not 100% sure. I was asked if I'd had it in the last 4 years, so 15 sounds like you would be well clear.

David
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

On my medical I did a peak flow test. I presume this was to check for asthma. Hope this helps.
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

I think the rules may have changed so that anyone with a history has to go for a special medical, but you'll find out in 4 days anyway. :)
Ty

Post by Ty »

I have some slight asthma as well mate. Never had to use an inhaler or anything, but it does cause a lot of mucus build up that I have to keep spitting out when running. As for the wheezing, after a good exercise just about anyone is going to be doing that. I don't think they are going to spot you out cause you have a slight wheeze. However if you can't keep up, then you simply can't continue. At that point they are going to ask why, and start cracking down on you.

Artist can correct me if I'm wrong, but asthma checks are just a pre-caution I assume. If you DO have it, it simply reduces your chances of passing, and incidentally wastes the Marines time and money. However if you can keep up and pass out, well then all the power to you. If your falling behind, and your asthma is the key component stopping you from increasing your training, then you're gone.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Ty wrote:I have some slight asthma as well mate. Never had to use an inhaler or anything, but it does cause a lot of mucus build up that I have to keep spitting out when running. As for the wheezing, after a good exercise just about anyone is going to be doing that. I don't think they are going to spot you out cause you have a slight wheeze. However if you can't keep up, then you simply can't continue. At that point they are going to ask why, and start cracking down on you.

Artist can correct me if I'm wrong, but asthma checks are just a pre-caution I assume. If you DO have it, it simply reduces your chances of passing, and incidentally wastes the Marines time and money. However if you can keep up and pass out, well then all the power to you. If your falling behind, and your asthma is the key component stopping you from increasing your training, then you're gone.

Since asthma reduces your chances of passing, they are understandably reluctant to accept people who have it.

If you have suffered from it in the past, you'll have to undergo an extended medical.
Gimpy

Post by Gimpy »

Tartan_Terrier wrote: Since asthma reduces your chances of passing, they are understandably reluctant to accept people who have it.

If you have suffered from it in the past, you'll have to undergo an extended medical.
Righto, I thought so. That's fair enough too- you wouldn't want somebody struggling to breathe when it really matters.

I know that whatever it is doesn't affect my performance, so any tests will hopefully show that too. Even with the wheeze (lol what the f*ck do I sound like?!) I still blow almost 700 on a peak flow test.