Share This Page:

New best time - Chuffed!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
benny687

New best time - Chuffed!

Post by benny687 »

Just done my second 3 miler of the week, my previous best time was 19.36 about a month ago, since then been hovering around the 21 minute mark. Beasted myself today and managed to drop to 19.03. not much of a difference I know but when i started training I was half dead after half a mile! Very chuffed!
All of you lot with far better times feel free to post if you haven't already and shame me to give me something to aim for :D
Back to work now....

cheers
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Good effort mate, keep it up.
[url=http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15310][b]My PRMC Diary[/b][/url]
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Tis great beating Personal bests, I personally get a great sense of pride if I do, means much more to me if I beat my own best than if I beat some else (that’s not to say I’m not competitive, in fact I’m the complete opposite :lol: )

Un-lucky for me I’m coming of the back of a nasty chest infection, my running and out side work has had to be lowered in volume considerably (although due to this my gym work has gone on the up) so my running has dropped a little bit, nothing to bad. I'm pretty much back to doing all my out side running and training now and times are only a little bit off... can't wait to start beating my Pb's again though :D

Keep you the good work mate and don't get disheartened when you have the odd blip here and there

We all run the odd shocker (usually after a PB for me :P )

All the best

Stokey
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Solid time mate! What sort of terrain do you train on Benny?
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Wed 30 Jan, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training

- Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Nice time benny, how long you been training for mate?
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
benny687

Post by benny687 »

Been training properly since september, doing pressups and situps etc everyday, was running 3 times a week but lifted that to 5 times over the last 3 weeks, seems to be paying of, Ive dropped from 15st3lbs to 12st8lbs which is a bonus. Think I need to add in some sprinting work aswel though. theres couple of hills on the 3 mile course that I sprint up, but I should probably do more than that.
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Good work with the weight loss too. Did you alter you diet or just let the training taking care of your bodyweight?
- If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training

- Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did
benny687

Post by benny687 »

I didn't alter my diet in any massive way, just tried to cut out the crap. Eating 3 times a day, plenty of carbs and protein but less fat. my biggest change was stopping snacking between meals 'cos I'm a bit of a greedy fecker. Seemed to work, I also concentrated on getting more fruit down my neck a couple of hours before training.
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Well whatever you have done seems to have worked up to now!

What sort of times were you getting at 15 stone? And just out of interest were you a muscular 15 stone or chubby 15 stone lol? The reason I ask mate is because I too am having to drop a lot of bodyweight to improve my endurance.

benny687

Post by benny687 »

I've always carried some muscle through work but I was a chubby 15 stone, I think I've basically uncovered the muscle now, which is nice from a vanity point of view :D

Unfortunately I never timed myself when I was heavier, they would have been too depressing! soz

How much are you trying to get rid of?
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Ah I see, yeah I bet you look and feel a lot better now.

Shame you didn't time yourself as it would have been interesting to see how far you've come.

Well at mid-november I was a touch under 17.7 stone lol, at which point I was big into bodybuilding though so I wasn't just a fat c**t. At the minute I'm near 14.10 stone, ideally I want at least another stone off me before POC. Like you though I havn't altered my diet too dramtatically, but just tried to cut out the crap.

Pendo

Post by Pendo »

Very nice :)

I have no idea what my 3 miler time is yet, my 1.5 mile is 10:17 but I'm only 15 and started training about a week ago so I should be down to about 9:00 in the 3 years I have before I plan on applying :)
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Pendo, you'll be down to 9:00 WAAAYYY before 3 years. I went from 7:00 per mile to 5:32 per mile in 12 weeks of training, there abouts.

Edit to add - I can also run 1.5m in 9:18 so as I said, you'll be down in no time.
MonsterMunch

Post by MonsterMunch »

Hey guys..

As far as I recall you run the first 1.5 mile in 12:30, and then get to go on by yourself? I was wondering what type of times you guys are hitting for the 2nd 1.5, or if you're not training it seperately like that.

I've done it twice so far, and I'm now down to 9mins for my 2nd, but should improve soon. Also, this was ran on treadmill rather than out on ground (and I tend to run faster on ground)..

Pendo:
Nice time for a 15yr old, but you should be hitting 9mins within a few months rather than years :P Try doing HIIT training (I run 1:30 at jog pace, 30secs at sprint pace on a treadmill) and your times will drop right down. I think running in this manner gets you 10mins if you jog at 12.5kmph and sprint at 20kmph.
Also, try doing some rowing. Good for your back if your technique is strict, gives your forearms and lats a bit of a kicking, as well as being one of the best sports for increasing Vo2 max.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

guys tips:

the 3 miler has a right beasting before you do it so train for this:
example: sprints, then 15 sec bust sprints static. then first half isnt realy done as 12:30 mins it more like 10:00-10:30 for you stop mid way then prepare to do last leg.

basicaly aim for 9 mins 1.5 mile both ways, it 100x harder on PRMC then in training.