Share This Page:

Marines and Parkour

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Dangermouse

Marines and Parkour

Post by Dangermouse »

Just seen this, anyone had the experience down at Lympstone?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/stor ... 47,00.html
SNiDE

Post by SNiDE »

Yeah I read about this on the urban freeflow site a while ago, it was interesting, but they (the free-runners) seemed to consider/present themselves at the same fitness level as the Marines they were tutoring (in parkour)
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

SNiDE wrote:Yeah I read about this on the urban freeflow site a while ago, it was interesting, but they (the free-runners) seemed to consider/present themselves at the same fitness level as the Marines they were tutoring (in parkour)
Yeah me too. Looks really interesting. If you're into a bit of an adrenaline rush with taking risks, give this a go. Same fitness level as someone in the Corps, I don't think so. Just my opinion on that question there.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

AJtothemax wrote:
SNiDE wrote:Yeah I read about this on the urban freeflow site a while ago, it was interesting, but they (the free-runners) seemed to consider/present themselves at the same fitness level as the Marines they were tutoring (in parkour)
Yeah me too. Looks really interesting. If you're into a bit of an adrenaline rush with taking risks, give this a go. Same fitness level as someone in the Corps, I don't think so. Just my opinion on that question there.
14 Signal Regiment have an amazing Parkour Team.

Check out their video on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmHNSficJU
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Tartan_Terrier wrote:
AJtothemax wrote:
14 Signal Regiment have an amazing Parkour Team.

Check out their video on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmHNSficJU
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AJ

AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

This is more amature and just a bit better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjco3boDZ7A :wink:

1:50 is mega core strength.
AJ

Artist

Post by Artist »

Back in the mists of time quite a few Bootnecks did this sort of thing whilst aided with booze. One bloke called Jock Murray scaled one of the flagpoles on the roundabout outside the Westward TV centre in Guz (Plymouth).

Then he fell off it and ended up losing all his front teeth! I myself once found myself halfway up the grain silo in Millbay Docks next to RMB Stonehouse............How? Christ knows! Took me yonks to climb down again that I do know. Once I was down the party (female) I had done it for to impress had naffed off with me Oppo who caught a dose of NSU of her.

See! God looks after the nice people! :D :D

Artist
fo0q

Post by fo0q »

I saw a few people around CTC last week on top of walls and the such with a bit of a crowd gathered around. Some lads had a inkling that it was the parkour thing going on.
PRMC - 8th May
RT - 14th January
maritime_marine

Post by maritime_marine »

It's the PTI's that are doing it, well it could be others as well but its them we've seen do it. So to that end I do doubt that they are at the same fitness level. In a magazine there is a quote saying that the parkour guys are fit enough to complete the assult course in time to be a Marine. Sounds great, however it doesn't mention anything about a 5 minute time limit and anything about weight being included.
RT 8th October
Second Place is the First Loser.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Really? - (That is just a polite way of saying - "Bollocks!")

You can do anything on film these days and if any of the top guys in the Royal Marines etc. tried any of those "stunts", they would end up being invalided out!

I have read the article and watched the youtube video. Did you notice that the guys in the video took off their packs before starting their run and put them back on afterwards?

Translate that, to a bunch of Royal Marines, trying to do the Assault Course.

If the Corps are really trying to implement this type of training, then there is no wonder that there are so many trainees in Hunter Troop!!

Sorry, but - Really?

Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Great vid T_T, hilarious!!
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
Ty

Post by Ty »

sneaky beaky wrote:Really? - (That is just a polite way of saying - "Bollocks!")

You can do anything on film these days and if any of the top guys in the Royal Marines etc. tried any of those "stunts", they would end up being invalided out!

I have read the article and watched the youtube video. Did you notice that the guys in the video took off their packs before starting their run and put them back on afterwards?

Translate that, to a bunch of Royal Marines, trying to do the Assault Course.

If the Corps are really trying to implement this type of training, then there is no wonder that there are so many trainees in Hunter Troop!!

Sorry, but - Really?

Sneaky
Agreed. No doubt it's on hell of a fitness exercise, but realistically, they might as well teach the Marines break dancing and skate boarding. This type of acrobatics will be pointless in a war such as afghanistan specially with a load of weight on the back. Also along the lines of what you said Sneaky Beaky, these exercises are just accidents waiting to happen. If they try getting new recruits to do this sort of aerial acrobatics, people are
going to get hurt. We are training to be Marines, not carnies at a circus.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing
tkdvipers

Post by tkdvipers »

I can understand peoples concerns about this however, if you do research into the subject of parkour is origins and inauguration you will find that its roots are in the military and actual basic gritty exercise and determination.

The man who created parkour is a French man named David Belle, who gained inspiration from his father Raymond (who was a highly skilled rescuer in the French fire service) and method naturelle by George Hebert.

Parkour is to be used efficiently and this means that when one is practising the discipline that inefficient or non-essential movement should not be performed. Therefore flips, spins and aesthetic movements are not part of parkour.

Free running and l'art displacement allow for these movements as they are an expressive discipline.

Parkour is about fast, hard enduring athletes moving at speed over any obstacle that blocks their path, proficient exponents will be able to move fluidly up, down and over obstacles.

The flips and acrobatics would not be needed in Afghanistan or as far as I can see any other combat situation, Royal Marines don't need them and they would hinder and possibly endanger any person trying to perform them in a hostile situation. That is pakour is being taught and not free running.

I hope that this might clear up the problem that some people may have. This is not acrobatics it is efficient techniques which enable a person to move fast through different environments.
[size=150][color=green][u]BLUEPETER PRMC VIDEOS HERE > [url=http://training-perseverence.blogspot.com]PRMC VIDEOS[/url][/u][/color][/size]

PRMC - 07/09/08
fodd

Post by fodd »

ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

tkdvipers wrote:This is not acrobatics it is efficient techniques which enable a person to move fast through different environments.
Spot on.
The idea that there is 'no limit' is what has taken this worldwide. My friends and I did this stuff as kid's. Exactly the same stuff, just for fun though. We didn't know what we were doing, it was just all for fun. The amount of times practicing that sort of stuff kept me out of harms way after being chased by street gangs who wanted my trainers or some money from me when I was younger.
In that sense, it definately work's. Most of the time they are just left standing there with that "how the fu....????" look on their faces. The thrill from that sort of adrenaline rush is amazing.

If anyone's interested in it, then give it a try. You should enjoy it. Just be careful.

All the best.
AJ