Share This Page:

Does anyone know an accurate percentage of people who fail

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
karlbfc

Does anyone know an accurate percentage of people who fail

Post by karlbfc »

I heard that 99.9% of people who try out for the RM (I think it means both the POC and the PRMC) fail, is that accurate?
If not could you please post an accurate percentage, thanks =)
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I believe that was the % was from the advert if I’m not mistaken, also it's taken a lot of flack for saying that, the pass rate is certainly higher, think about it... if that was true then out of every 1000 people who join approximately 1 person would pass (think my math’s is correct there :-? ), there would be no Royal Marine's if this was the case.

Don't focus on how many fail, focus on how your going to succeed.

Just remember to keep a PMA…

P = Positive
M= Mental
A= Attitude

All the best

Stokey
KODE

Post by KODE »

From what I was aware the "99.99% need not apply" is in reference to that the RM's are approx 0.01% of the British population. Therefore meaning that the other 99.99% are not RM's. At the time this would have meant the would have been around 6500-7000 RM's.

Either that or someone fed me a length :P

If someone could shed light on this?
:wink:
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

I wouldn't read too much into that 99.99% need not apply,I think this is just an advertising slogan trying to get the message across that RM training is extrememly hard and very few succeed:Trying to attract the type of people who like a challenge and recognise that the green beret club is very exclusive and only open a select few individuals of this population.If i was to hazard a guess,and I think i've read something on this before,the pass rates for RM training(not sure if this includes YO aswell) is only just a bit higher than other SF training like the SAS and US Navy SEALs,which is around the region of 20-30%.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

The reference to 99.99% is just an advertising slogan but was (relatively) correct as the population of Britain was 65m. However, don't get caught up on percentage pass rates or the like, as stokey says it is best to have a positive mental attitude.

Mitch
Psychometric test - Passed!
Initial interview - Passed!
TBC
mm1306

Post by mm1306 »

Some people do not even fail but they decide they don't like it or they get backsquadded which will dishearten them, some of them are capable of passing and can even be good recruits but drop out anyway. But it is definitely true that more than 0.01% of those who try to join will complete their training.
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Usually from a Troop of 60 around 5-20 originals pass out and then and some back troopers on as well. One troop when I was down there was known as cotton wool troop and 30 originals passed out.
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

I read on the RM website that the failure rate for YO training was 30-40%. But don't get hung up on failure rates and stuff. To be honest it's a bit of a stupid question, if your not good enough you aren't going to make it. I'm not saying failure rates are cack but don't base your sucess by them.

David
SNiDE

Post by SNiDE »

I was told that 0.01% of people who declare an interest in joining (an an AFCO) pass out- i.e they decide not to join, fail the interview/medical/aptitude tests/PJFT/prmc/recruit training.
_chris

Post by _chris »

SNiDE wrote:I was told that 0.01% of people who declare an interest in joining (an an AFCO) pass out- i.e they decide not to join, fail the interview/medical/aptitude tests/PJFT/prmc/recruit training.
If that were the case, assumign the Royal Marines manpower to be around 7,500 men (it was 7,430 in 2006) then we must assume 75,000,000 people showed an interest in having those places. The population of the UK is around 61,000,000 people, so this seems extremely unlikely to me.

All that particular statistic is about is that around 99.99% of UK citizens are not Royal Marines, and so they needn't have applied, what you've got to remember is most of them won't have, in fact at least half of them wouldn't be eligible to. Of the people who the adverts aimed at, the mentally strong young male the percentage of those who make it to be marines would be much higher; of those who actualy show interest even higher.

But as has been said, don't worry about the statistics of others failing, you just have to think about you suceeding.
mm1306

Post by mm1306 »

I read in Globe and Laurel that the corps is 580 under strength(or was 7 months back any way) so either more people fail training or drop out or fewer people are interested in joining.
karlbfc

Post by karlbfc »

Thanks everyone who replied, I was only wondering what it was for a school project :cry: gotta do a talk on a subject I'm interested in and that would have been a useful fact :lol:
alfred_the_great

99.99%

Post by alfred_the_great »

Didn't apply, and the campaign was a complete failure. Hence the new one - sometimes trying to be an "elite" doesn't quite work!
Artist

Post by Artist »

It was once stated (so I was told) that it is harder to get into the Royal Marines than it is to get a child into Eton College. Don't know if this is true but it sounds about right to me.

They want guys who are going to hack it, not guys who talk the talk without walking the walk. May sound trite but it's true. The drop out rate has always been the same. Be it due to injury or wrapping in.

Come week 12 when I was in training (1973) a third of the troop left after paying £25 to buy themselves out. One bloke left on the Friday morning along with all the other failures but was back come Friday evening as his fathers reaction was to say to his beloved son "Are you Bollox wrapping in Sunshine!" when he turned up at his parents house (his father was a former Bootneck SNCO).

His Father then drove him back to CTCRM, deposited him at the Guard Room with the words "He's changed his mind. Sort the Eeijut out please!". He was allowed to stay at CTCRM that weekend in a cell in the guardroom even though technically he was a civvy. Come Monday morning he rejoined our troop after joining up again. He never, ever got his £25 back! Meanwhile his father spent the night in the Sgts Mess and got totally ringbolted as all the SNCO's/WO's lashed him up stinking :D

This guy who wrapped after 12 weeks went onto become a fully fledged SC (Swimmer Canoeist) with the SBS. For obvious reasons I am not going to give out his name but his nickname had a lot to do with where rabbits live in the wild. :D

Artist