Share This Page:

POC current affairs subjects?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
kevin916

POC current affairs subjects?

Post by kevin916 »

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the kind of topics that have come up for the essay and discussion exercises in a recent POC?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

With these subjects will you need to be up to date with specific stories in the press or is it just testing your thinking?

Mitch
Psychometric test - Passed!
Initial interview - Passed!
TBC
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Probably up to date subjects. In Brows' and Deadhead's POC diaries the subjects they had to write about there were fairly recent, if I remember correctly from reading them. In Brows' for example, on of the subjects they could write about was Madeline Mccan.

Best of luck on the POC.

David
Brows

Post by Brows »

I feel like an author being quoted. Well my devoted readers gather round...

Yes, topics are usually of an ethical issue or of current affairs. If you are up to date with current affairs you should breeze it.

You have to remember there are no set answers and they are more interested in how you answer the question rather than where you stand on the issue.
As long as it had a beginning, middle (with cases for and against) and a conclusion wrapping it up you should be fine.

However I wrote mine on "Whether the Naval Personnel should have sold their stories to the media after they were released from capture?" When the Captain asked what essay I wrote and what I said (basically was a "f@#k NO") he said "Good" with a nod of approval.
Had I said "Yes" then I believe it would have counted as a strikes against me.

Providing you’re not about to disclose you’re a pacifist (or something of that nature) you should be fine.

Best of luck again

Brows
RM Commission progress

POC: 04/06/07 -Passed
AIB: 02/07/07 -Fail, needed more life experience

Intend to re-apply after I have gone to university

Read my diaries in the RM archives section THEN PM me if you have a question
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Great, thanks a lot. I was a bit panicky for a minute there. I generally listen to breakfast everyday and will read any stories I find interesting on Telegraph online but other than that I don't go greatly in depth.

Thanks
Mitch
Psychometric test - Passed!
Initial interview - Passed!
TBC
Ali3

Post by Ali3 »

Globe and Laurel & Navy News for RM stuff.

The Economist, the Journal of Current Affairs and any firm daily broadsheet (in particular the opinions section- this will help you to articulate yourself) should be suffice.

Go balls out for a good month before POC.

best

Ali
Ali3

Post by Ali3 »

A good one to learn would be the effect of the death of Benazir Bhutto to Pakistans democracy aspirations, in relation to the Wests efforts on the war on teror.