Share This Page:

Potential marines - listen in

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
LostandFound

Potential marines - listen in

Post by LostandFound »

Ok lads, a lot of specific questions relating to getting fit enough to join the corps on here. As a long time member of this site, and someone who has passed PRMC and been in RT a while, allow me to share some vital tips:

Running: Train for the 3-miler, because its the basic test that you just wouldnt believe how many lads fail on.

A lot is questioned on here about endurance fitness. The corps will teach you that as and when you need it. In order to join the corps, simply train to run the 3-miler in a sub 20 minute time. This is because you will run out for 1.5 miles slowly-ish, and then pelt it back in your quickest time possible. Dont train for olympic times on 5 mile runs etc, its just not neccessary. The best way to train for a 3-miler is to run 3 miles. Try interval training to increase your speed.

Upper body fitness: Press ups, Pull ups, Sit ups

On your PRMC, you will be required to pass tests on these 3 exercises. So train for them by doing them, simple as. Dont try any fancy weights training. Just thrash out the exercises and progress will come. Build up your sets of each so that the endurace will come. Sit ups should be easy enough. For those lacking in the other 2 departments, just train for those exercises. Its not rocket science, practise makes [almost] perfect.

Bottom field & Gym test 2: Overall endurace and determination

Ok lads, its fairly tough to train specifically for these tests, but my advice is to combine your running fitness with circuit training. Try to join a boxing class or circuit training in your local gym. These 2 tests more than anything are there to test your mental endurance. Its purely about going balls out for the time required, and never giving up. By circuit training you will train your body to cope with constant physical exertion for extended periods of time. Noone at Lympstone will give a shi-ite about how much you can bench/squat/curl, its about thrashing your body past its comfot zone. Its a simple as this - if you are reasonably fit, and you want it enough, you will pass. I injured my calf on the sprints in gym test 2, but because i didnt quit until I was literally pulled out of the session due to my injury, I still passed. The PTI's want to see guts and determintation, the passion to succeed.

I think some lads are trying to analyse too much into how to train and what exercises to do. The best advise I was given - train to pass PRMC, and do it by training for the exercises you will be tested on. Everything else will boil down to your determination to succeed.

Once you are in RT, the phys you do will be nothing like you have done before, and its almost impossible to prepare for. Its about self discipline as much as physical fitness. And you do so much phys that the progression comes naturally to almost everyone, so dont worry about it. The PTI's will get you there (believe me).

So lads, I wish you good luck, and train hard for what you are being asked to do. Its all in the mind. Push yourself, rest when needed, and always picture that ultimate prize at the end of each session - the green beret. Once you have passed PRMC and get into RT for real, it becomes second nature anyway.

Good luck.
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Nice Post mate, thanks for all the advice!
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
chris5818

Re: Potential marines - listen in

Post by chris5818 »

LostandFound wrote:I think some lads are trying to analyse too much into how to train and what exercises to do. The best advise I was given - train to pass PRMC, and do it by training for the exercises you will be tested on. Everything else will boil down to your determination to succeed.

Good luck.
Spot on there mate good post!!!
PJFT: June o6 - 9.07
PRMC: Passed December 07
RT: February 08
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

good post mate,
straight to the point and very informative!!!
- If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training

- Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

True, I'm just doing 3 milers and tons of press-pull ups now, though at the moment I can only get 21:30 on a good day running, though it's hilly, but I know it's all mental like you said, and like they say very few actually fail the PRMC, most people give up.

Please remember to use the shift key where appropriate in future
T_T
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Great post lostandfound!!

good sticky material.
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
designervision

Post by designervision »

Cool post - and for the most part I agree.

I don't think though that people should use this as an excuse to not push themselves past their comfort zone. If you can do a 3 miler in 18 minutes, great work! But don't stop there.

I personally think that heaps of weight training is pointless (unless you want to bulk up). And I completely agree that focusing on push ups, pull ups and sit ups are the way to go.

Slightly of subject a bit, but (and I know this is probably 99.99999999% unlikely) if someone was to pass PRMC and RT with flying colours, would they make a good soldier? If they didn't have to push themselves very much, would they be weaker than other people? Just a random thought.

LostandFound - definitely a cool post!

Sam.
--"Pain is temporary, the Green Beret is forever"--
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Slightly of subject a bit, but (and I know this is probably 99.99999999% unlikely) if someone was to pass PRMC and RT with flying colours, would they make a good soldier? If they didn't have to push themselves very much, would they be weaker than other people? Just a random thought.
Well I can't really comment on what makes a good solider/Marine because I'm not one thus making me ill qualified to really say. But from what I’ve read/heard and my own opinion. Being fit is only half the story, yes it's a necessity and the fitter the better (don't get me wrong I’m training mad) but, character, soldering skills/field craft and will power are just as important.

The world has millions of supremely fit people but can they yomp over miles of bad ground, moving tactically then engaging the enemy and defeating them swiftly and professionally? No.

So if you can cruise all aspects of RT and have great character, I dare say you'd make a brilliant Marine... If you cruise the fitness side and nothing else, then my guess (and it is just that) would be no.

But as you said very, very unlikely anyone’s going to find Rt easy! :o Plus where would be the fun in it then!

Just my opinion.

Stokey
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

Guys, thanks for the compliments, but seriously this is just an honest account from someone who was never the fittest guy in the troop (Im 28 now, so definately lagging behind the younger lads) but who knows all it takes is determination. Yes, you have to be fairly fit, but an olympian. Yes, I always say push beyond your limits and aim for the best, but dont worry if you arent posting 17min 3-miler times, just do your best. Make sure you can achieve the minimum targets set out by the PRMC giude, and you will succeed.

RT is fantastic. You will make great friends, you will band together like none of your civvie mates ever could, and will be guided every step of the way.

Just go for it.
893quiter

Post by 893quiter »

Whats the age limit on joining Marines?
designervision

Post by designervision »

Commando is 16 and Commando Officer is 17.

Sam.
--"Pain is temporary, the Green Beret is forever"--
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

In order to join the corps, simply train to run the 3-miler in a sub 20 minute time.
I think I may be mis-interpreting this, but don't read this as 'train just for the three miler, no more'. The lads who've trained above and beyond the three miler will be under much less stress than those who've only ever run three miles, and therefore will be more likely to succeed in the PRMC, and later on in RT. Remember you're not just training for a PRMC, but for a career in the Royal Marines.

Top post L&F, just wanted to clear that up.

:D
RT: 10th November
893quiter

Post by 893quiter »

Max age not minimum age as I'm near completing my other goal. I left week 22 for NZ, and I miss the beastings and wouldn't mind going back for some more fun.
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

I think max age is 33
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

Got to be in RT before 33rd birthday