Share This Page:

Good place to buy a GPS running watch???

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Cool Hand Luke

Good place to buy a GPS running watch???

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Ayup Fellas,
As the title implies, I'm looking to buy a GPS running watch, the gf wants one for christmas and I'm not really sure; where to start looking, what the good brands are, and what is a reasonable price for one of these so.....Any advice would be greatly appreciated lads (and yes I did use the search to prior to creating this thread)
- If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training

- Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did
DWW

Post by DWW »

Hi Mate,

I don't use or have the need for one, but my friend does. Have a look at the new Casio one and also look at the Suunto range. Failing that I did a quick search for 'GPS watch' and got quite a few results. Hopefully this will give you a starting point, and someone no doubt will add to this!

Dave
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

I just found something really interesting...its a site called www.google.co.uk and if you type what your looking for into the little bubble thing. It comes up with all sorts of answers! How awesome is that?

Now what kinda of things can i search for...
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Cheers mate
- If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training

- Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did
Sully

Post by Sully »

A fella at work has one of these:

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/garmi ... r_205.html

and raves about it. I've seen his runs on his computer and it looks amazing. Apparently, apart from anything else there's a stick man on the watch and you can set a pace for him and race against him. I've never used anything like this because I'm tight but I can see the attraction.

That was the first site that came up with the 205 model so you could shop around although my mate paid nearly £200 a while back.
Per Flank, Per Tank
Artist

Post by Artist »

If I was in your training team and I caught you with a GPS watch your arse would not touch the ground!!!! :evil:

GPS is a good tool but in the end you need to be able to read a map and know how to use a Compass because the GPS could be taken out come a major war by the enemy.

May sound daft but the enemy know whats up there as do us. The Chinks have developed a missle to take out GPS dobries. Ditto the good Owd USA. Maps and compasses are the only way to go when the shit hits the fan.

You want to earn a Green Lid then go by the rules in other words.

Artist
Starwon

Re: Good place to buy a GPS running watch???

Post by Starwon »

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Ayup Fellas,
As the title implies, I'm looking to buy a GPS running watch, the gf wants one for christmas and I'm not really sure; where to start looking, what the good brands are, and what is a reasonable price for one of these so.....Any advice would be greatly appreciated lads (and yes I did use the search to prior to creating this thread)
Its not for him Artist :)
ofens

Post by ofens »

My 'gf' wants GPS for Christmas ...

... a Great Pair of Shoes ...
:roll:
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Sully wrote:A fella at work has one of these:

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/garmi ... r_205.html

and raves about it. I've seen his runs on his computer and it looks amazing. Apparently, apart from anything else there's a stick man on the watch and you can set a pace for him and race against him. I've never used anything like this because I'm tight but I can see the attraction.

That was the first site that came up with the 205 model so you could shop around although my mate paid nearly £200 a while back.
cheers for that mate, looks pretty good.

No Artist it's not for me, but I'm in two minds whether to get the g/f one now, I don't want the chinks firing missiles at her while shes on a bloody jog lol

davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

ofens wrote:My 'gf' wants GPS for Christmas ...

... a Great Pair of Shoes ...
:lol: :lol:
I don't want the chinks firing missiles at her while shes on a bloody jog lol
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Now now girls.
It's no longer PC to call the Chinese'Chinks'
'Slopes'is acceptable as they don't understand the connotation yet.
If it wasn't for my superhero GPS watch(with sweeping second hand,just like a real Rolex)I wouldn't know which side of me pit to get out of. :-?
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

LOL

I did laugh at the thought of someone targetting your lass with a 500lb bomb during her morning jog :D

Not in a nasty way either I must add!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sully

Post by Sully »

If I was in your training team and I caught you with a GPS watch your arse would not touch the ground!!!!

I hope your girlfriend enjoys her present :wink: It was quite clear from your original post.
Per Flank, Per Tank
lodge939

Post by lodge939 »

Is there a watch which will track your run and then upload the GPS data onto google earth and plot your run for you? I'm sure there is with technology nowadays