Share This Page:

Any Past officers in here Navy/Marine

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
DLink011

Any Past officers in here Navy/Marine

Post by DLink011 »

I posted a while ago with reference to my friend who is South African joining the Marines. He is a personal trainer, and just happened to be doing a program for a Navy officer. This nice gentleman said that if he wanted to join the Marines ASAP (Rather than wait 5 years) He should find out about Common Wealth Marine Entries. I have never heard of this, and did a search on a few search engines, to which nothing came arose.

Can anyone give me any information on this?
All help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Dan
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
davidemmerson

Re: Any Past officers in here Navy/Marine

Post by davidemmerson »

DLink011 wrote:He should find out about Common Wealth Marine Entries.
I think you mean Commenwealth RM Entry?
Q. I am foreign... can I join?
To be eligible to be processed, at the time of application, a candidate must be a British citizen, or a citizen of a Commonwealth country, or a citizen of the Irish Republic. Also certain career paths are only available to British citizens. Asylum seekers are not eligible for entry into the Naval Service.
Does this answer your question at all?

David
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

So basically any one from a list of approximatley 25 countries, can come into the country and join the RM? At any time without waiting any amount of time?

Wow I was Conned then, I'm a british Citizen and I had to wait 3 years before I could join.
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

I don't know the process as such, get him to ring an AFCO if he wants to know. Or maybe google it with the correct spelling. Of course you will have to wait a certai amount of time, but because I don't live abroad in a Commonwealth country I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't say you were conned as such, was there a reason why your application took a while? Maybe something like a medical problem? Or did you come from abroad?

David
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

No problems at all if I remember correctly, I did come from South Africa, but i had been here a couple of years already, and they told me I had to wait at least 2-3 more!

My mate is going to the AFCO today! Which really sucks, wish my knee was fixed so that I could get stuck in again....hmm such big decisions to make!
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Yeah, must have been shit to ruin your knee on the PRMC. Hope it heals soon, how long before you think you can re-take the course?

David
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Thats the big decision, I have always wanted to join the military, RM especially, I joined passed the tests and then ruin my knee, however, in civvie street. I am now a Managing director of my own company doing pretty well. Now do I carry on with my safe soon to be luxurious life, or do i go an do something I have always wanted to do? Its really hard decision to make, and at 22 I best hurry up and make it!

Umm as far as my knee goes we will have to see Docs wont operate on it which is annoying
ofens

Post by ofens »

DLink011 how do you think you would feel 10 years from now (aged 32) looking back at the decision?

How important is being a RM to you? What is your motivation, and how long have you had it?
Is your business something you could ultimately restart in the future, if you had to?

These are the kind of questions I asked myself before applying for RM. I have not regretted my decision at any point.
Hope you can find the right decision for you 8)

You say you're 22 ... you have got plenty of time so don't feel rushed into making a decision rashly.
It does sound like you need to resolve the situation with your knee as this obviously is a key factor in your fitness to join.

ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
sjuggins

Post by sjuggins »

DLink011 - My advice would be join the RMR, and then see how you like that, you could always transfer to RM regulars when you've got your green lid.

Money isn't everything, granted, but the people who say that usually earn a decent amount.
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Wow thanks for the replies, its weird though, I can give advice easily but when it comes to my life, its really hard.
To be honest with you. RM is what I want to be and have always for a very long time.
My knee is farked though and I think that if it were 100% I wouldnt hesitate with my decision.

Sjuggins, thats exactly what has been going through my head, RMR. But i honestly never knew that you could transfer, from RMR to regular, is this a tricky thing to do or is it basically paper work?

Its been over a year now and my knee still isnt right, i havent done any CV phyzz in that long either, I am confident that my upper body fitness is pretty decent...Apparently there are a few lads around where I live that have been or are going for RMR!

Here is the catch...the main Director of the company is my brother, he helped me set it up...infact its practically his. He has got me out of Shyte so many times in my life its hard to count them all!

I can say that I will rejoin the RM one day...one day! (Hopefully not to far away)

Gonna start working on my CV straight away!