Share This Page:

need help with press ups

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Dan1989

need help with press ups

Post by Dan1989 »

currently i am having trouble getting a good score on my press ups, this is partly due to the fact i have had to change how far i lower them to so many times ! haha but its necessary

i got told a method - pyramids

in which you do 10 reps of press ups, wide press ups, star presses and tri dips , and then progress down to 9, 8, 7 all way to 1. and then try get back to 10 again.

anyone got any other methods of increasing this?

i am testing every saturday and will post if any success.

anyone got any other suggestions?

thankyou, Daniel.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Please use the search button as this has been asked about more times than I can mention.

Artist
Dan1989

Post by Dan1989 »

ops! sorry, new to forums so, noted for future!

thankyou.
dan.
Artist

Post by Artist »

No hassle Dan.

Once you have joined Pressups will become a way of life in training. Cock up at any time and your "Nice" Instructor will just say to you "Give me 30" you silly person you. :D

Artist
HybridWarrior

Post by HybridWarrior »

Well I'd advise just doing your press ups the RM way (Elbows tucked, head up!). The way I train for press ups is doing 3 sets with a 2 minutes rest inbetween each one and maxing out on each set. Alot of people are gonna be thinking thats too long rest inbetween sets but it works for me.
Artist

Post by Artist »

HybridWarrior wrote:Well I'd advise just doing your press ups the RM way (Elbows tucked, head up!). The way I train for press ups is doing 3 sets with a 2 minutes rest inbetween each one and maxing out on each set. Alot of people are gonna be thinking thats too long rest inbetween sets but it works for me.
I gave up pressups yonks ago.

Now do Jigsaws, much more interesting so they are! :D

Last one I did was 10,000 pieces. Turned out to be a full size picture of a Warthog having a dump.

Artist
Riggsy

Post by Riggsy »

With the pyramids, do you do 10 then stand up and rest then back down and do 9 then so on? Or do you stay in the locked arms position?
Dan1989

Post by Dan1989 »

I have been doing it like this -- 10 (military) press up, to Wide Press Up, Star Presses and then Tri Dips -- rest and then 9 and so on..

Important to measure the rest set and keep it the same, the arms locked would be very hard!!

But I took Artists advise and found a good pyramid to work on..

basically it is using all the exercises you are tested on.

It is different to what I am going to use, would post the link but cant find it now!!

It's basically this -- 10 levels of the pyramid

1 lvl = 1 pull up, 2 press up and 3 sit up
2 lvl = 2 pull up, 4 press up and 6 sit up
etc keep adding 1 to pull up, 2 to press up and 3 to sit up until you get to lvl 10 (as far as you can go)

lvl 10 = 10 pull up, 20 press up, 30 sit up -- so by working up and down the pyramid you are doing, 100 pull up, 200 press up and 300 sit up
looks pretty intense, if you can make lvl 10 - maybe I will one day!!

It is a very good program that he made, just unhappy I cannot give him due credit.
His included dips which would be very useful.

Instead of the sit up I think I will include a variety of ab-work -- leg raises, crunches, v-sits etc to hit all the abdos
ofens

Post by ofens »

My approach is more simple (like me :D ).
I started by doing sets of 10 here and there throughout the day (in addition to my normal training) until a set of 10 pressups was easy.

Then I said right, let's do the same for 20... then 30... it soon adds up, and with patience and perseverance it works.
It takes time and you have to accept that - there are no shortcuts.

If you're at the gym doing cardio work you could put a set in between each machine or activity, for example.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

Remember form is everthing!!!

I thought I could bang out 80 easily, Then today on my RMAD I got 62 because I was doing them right and it knackered my arms and shoulders!!!
So all the way up and all the way down elbows locked and tucked in!

Dan1989

I do 3 sets of 60 on Mon,Weds,Fri and Saturdays and 80 every night.

But I've been doing this since January and I started on 40 and built it up.

Good luck.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Oh Dear! :evil:

Artist
hazholmes

Post by hazholmes »

Mate, I was gash at press ups, still am! Could do about 10 when I started. Just bang them out whenever you can and give it your all every time. There's no magic formula or substitution for hard work. Just keep practicsing.
AshersUK

Post by AshersUK »

Someone posted this link somewhere before but I started this on Monday, instead of the 3 times a week I do it 6 times a week and instead of resting I do the same ammount of situps (25 push ups, followed by 25 sit ups, 17 push ups, 17 sit ups, 17 push ups, 17 sit ups, 15 push ups, 15 sit ups, then max out on both untill I've exceeded the beginning ammount. Then I go and do 10 pull ups.

It hurts which is why I like it.

Ash

Edit: I forgot to add the link.. http://www.100pushups.info/programe.html
Application - March
Aptitude test - Passed, May 12th
Interview - Passed 14th November
Medical - 29th November
PJFT - To be Announced..
PRMC - To be Announced
RT - To be Announced