Share This Page:

Running

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
clake101

Running

Post by clake101 »

Hello,
I've recently been to an RMR induction evening and am now getting myself into shape. I have been weight training and swimming for years however running is new to me. I was just wandering if there was anyone who had any tips on technique / breathing etc. Thanks.
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

Breathing wise I like to breathe in for 2 left foot strikes then out for 2 left foot strikes, yar?

If you're fairly fit maybe just start slow and build up speed gradually otherwise 4 mins run to 1 min walk is a good place to start increasing the running time as fitness improves
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

It may not work for you, but I count to myself (one to eight, then start over) if I'm having problems with my breathing rythmn.
billybud

Post by billybud »

You need to get out running as often as you can. Keep it slow within your threshold . You'll soon find out your threshold level because you are seriously out of breath and your legs feel like tree trunks! And you are stiff as hell next morning. You are effectively training for a long race so it's a question of getting the miles in. Sprinting doesn't count. Can get boring, but obviously you are focused. Don't think about doing it on a running machine in some gay 'fitness' centre. And get off road as much as possible, it's kinder on the knees. Another thing, hills are your new friend, they will strengthen your leg muscles.
Good luck and enjoy it!
clake101

Post by clake101 »

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
Riggsy

Post by Riggsy »

I could barely run for 2mins when i started training, but by starting with the 2min run 1min walk then increasing this as I felt fitter I could run for longer periods of time within a week!
quirk

Treadmill or road?

Post by quirk »

I have been running on the road (3 Miler) for past 2 weeks since i come back from injury. I'm moving on Thursday and it's into the middle of the town centre so not really many running tracks. There's a gym pretty much next door and was wondering if you progress better on a treadmill putting up kmph every so often or roadrunning?
jammin87

Post by jammin87 »

Billybud, if you mean to go off road as in full on cross country trails, do you not think that's a bad idea if he has little experience running? If you just meant a park on the grass one fair one. Tripping on a trail and smashing your knee is going to do a lot more damage, far more quickly, than running roads.
Do not discredit sprint training so easily either, something I'm sure many others will point out.
Clarke101, enjoy smashing those miles out. I've always found I go better when I get a rhythm to my breathing, which usually comes when I get a rhythm in my pace, but this gets knocked out unless you're on a track or treadmill. As I said, enjoy. You might want to search the forums on running for more information, there's been shed loads in the past.
Ali3

Post by Ali3 »

sprint training is of high importance and it actually gets you fitter than just doing a 45 min plod 4 times a week, because it raises your heart rate higher and into the coveted 'training zone!'

However, sprinting is not advised in the early stages of running, ease your body into running slowly. Do easy running building it up slowly for 2-3 months then look to mix up your training.
Dont thrash yourself straight away and make sure you warm up and cool down.
Cycling is good too, whilst not as good as running, it will increase your VO2 max.

Running hard when the body is not used to running is likely to end in injury e.g. shin or heel problems are most common.

I have a background in running and this was the advice I was given.

Best
Ali
Artist

Post by Artist »

I found the best way to crack a Run be it a Speed March or a cross country run was to think of a simple piece of music and try to breath in time with the music. May sound daft but it worked for me.

The training teams will shout at you "In though the nose out though the mouth" In the end it's what suits you when it comes to breathing methods whilst running.

Artist
billybud

Post by billybud »

In reply to jammin: I am not military, I am a civvie and have a background in medium/long distance running and I joined this site to find out how RMs approach fitness training. Here's my viewpoint:
Yes, speed or speed endurance training is essential for experienced runners to reach peak performance, but it's the icing on the cake;. A novice runner needs 3 months of steady running as a foundation building up the 'miles in the bank'before I would give him any speedwork sessions. Otherwise it's counter productive, this is because his system would not be able to cope with it yet. At the end of three months he will be doing 30 to 40 miles a week (over 6 days - one rest day aahh!) including a long run of 10/12 miles. When he can cope with this he is ready to introduce some tempo running or hill sessions.
Re; running off road - I would do this whenever posssible to guard against shinsplints and other injuries, especially for the heavier lads, and also for the mental side of running. Obviously don't tackle a ploughed field but look for canal banks and trails.I see a lot of lads on here do a fixed circuit and clock it every time. That's fine now and again to mark your progress but if you are tired from a previous session it can sometimes discourage you.
Re; treadmills. Don't know any runners personally who use them. You are going to confront wind and rain and heat outside, so best to get used to it.
I know that RM training is not all about being an endurance athlete, but it's obvious that endurance (mental and physical) is a big part. Improving your running will surely help.
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

Good post billybud

I use the time clocking method but I'm really anal about things. Had a massive flap last night as I couldn't find my stop watch and was ready to sack the run off because I wouldn't be able to time it!

Silly but that's me currently lol

I find as long as I'm within my previous time with a buffer of 30 seconds either side I'm happy. Last night for example took me 23 seconds longer than my best due to a strong head wind but managed to battle through it (just!)

Sometimes wish I could just go out and run for the sake of it
_chris

Re: Treadmill or road?

Post by _chris »

quirk wrote: I'm moving on Thursday and it's into the middle of the town centre so not really many running tracks. There's a gym pretty much next door and was wondering if you progress better on a treadmill putting up kmph every so often or roadrunning?
Many people struggle to keep constant improvement when running outside as they have a tendancy to keep doing a particular route at around the same pace; even when they can go much faster. So from that perspective you may find you make faster improvements ont he treadmill by constantly pushing up the pace; you won't settle for plodding round at the same speed. Treadmill running and road running are not the same things though, so if you only train on treadmills you will lose a lot of your current road running ability. So train on a treadmill if and when you need to, but whenever possible train on the road. You will use much more effort running on the road, and more muscles come into play due to the uneven surfaces; just make sure to keep the effort as high as possible, and don't start to settle around a particular pace, for best results mix up your routes as often as possible. Also as billybud says theres the weather conditions etc. to take into account.

As for the offroad discussion, my personal view is both jammin and billybud make valid points. Offroad running will help prevent fatique injuries and for inexperienced runners (or overweight) is certainly better than regularly pounding out heavy road miles; any decent schedule for experienced runners would alternate between the two. But the injuries risks from falls etc. are much greater on trails, for any level of runner, exposed roots, often extremely uneven surface, rocks, rabbit holes and the like can easily send you flying for a slight lapse in concentration; if your focussed on breathing etc. then it can be difficult. I myself, having competed offroad and on cliffpaths often, found myself out for 7 months from last september (ruining my plans of the marines at the time) having taken my eye of the ball momentarily and being sent flying.

For a beginner runner I would say stick to smooth surfaces, in the case of beginner runners following propper schedules with adequete rest theres no massive risk here; beginner runners should stick to every other day progressing more regularly. More experienced runners can do whatever they feel like, they should know how best to avoid injury anyway. For heavier guys though, as I was when first starting out, then I switch and say training offroads best, but something like round a football field, where the ground will be relatively flat and even.
Darren82 wrote: Sometimes wish I could just go out and run for the sake of it
That really is good to do sometimes, you'll often find you can acchieve much better training when not concentrating fully on time. Try leaving your watch at home some days (when you have nothing else to do after the run!) and just keep running, don't pick a route just head out and randomly pick where you go when you reach a junction. For endurance runs you can end up with a good quality work out, and it can often feel much better than aiming for particular times and on bad days missing.
billybud

Post by billybud »

Darren82 wrote:Good post billybud
Last night for example took me 23 seconds longer than my best due to a strong head wind but managed to battle through it (just!)
Tell me about it, I've just got in from a steady run that turned into a battle against the elements due to high winds (Must get one of these treadmills!!)
Occurs to me that I might have been posting some misinformation. Due to my not knowing what all these initials stand for, I now realise that some of you are training for an initial 1.5m (on treadmill so of course, familiarise yourself with how it feels) others are training for a 3m (yes, get used to regular steady runs pushing hard when you are ready, over distance at times though a long run is not that necessary) If you have an eye on the long term and need to do a 9m speed march with kit @ 10mins/mile pace, getting used to 10mile slow runs now will stand you in good stead. As with all training, gradually work up increasing miles or intensity conservatively to avoid injuries.