Share This Page:

Best exercise to do pull ups?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
ihavethedetermination

Best exercise to do pull ups?

Post by ihavethedetermination »

Well, I can run, do press ups and even do sit ups (not at the level yet though) but I have a problem with doing pull ups. I know thay are an important element of the PRMC as you dont pass if you can not do them.

I have given myself 6 months to get to the standard needed for the PRMC and am two weeks into a routine which I am feeling good about.

At the moment it stands like this:

Run 3 days p/w (2 x 1hr long runs and 1 x hill/sprint run)

Weights workout 3 days p/w: Pull Over 23kg 3 sets of 10 reps
Shoulder press 33kg 3 sets of 10 reps
Chest Press 39kg 3 sets of 10 reps
Seated Lat 49kg 3 sets of 10 reps
Assisted chin up 72kg 1 set of max (5)
Kick Backs reps of 20, 15, 10 and 5.

Now this is a basic workout that I am doing with a mate who has been training to join the RM and has his PRMC later this month. He has put the exercises together and I have worked out my weight limits. I dont do much leg work as i have been playing rugby for a few years and my legs are strong enough (at the moment).

The problem with the pull ups is that I cant even do one unassisted!!! This is a real down heartener as if I can do something I know I can improve on it, with the pull ups I don't seem to be able to think like that.

There are people in my life who seem to think I wouldn't be able to do it but I know I can. I just need to take the time to train to get to the level. I have dreamt about joining the RM for many years and have never done anything about it but I am taking control and WILL get there.

Is there someone out there with advice on how I can tackle my problem?

:oops:
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Some people have a major problem with pull-ups. Have you got a pull-up bar or something similar? As you'll need to have one you have regular access to.

http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/pullups.htm

Regards
T_T

P.S. Please use capital letters for 'I' next time, as small 'i's are one of my pet hates.
Last edited by Tartan_Terrier on Sat 06 Oct, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott_Allen

Post by Scott_Allen »

A few people start by doing them back to front...

Buy this I mean, jumping up onto the bar and using the jump to get your chin above the bar, then very, very slowly lowering yourself down.... repeat :)

Eventually you will be able to pull yourself up both ways, up and down :D
ihavethedetermination

Tartan_Terrier wrote:
P.S. Please use capital letters for 'I' next time, as small 'i's are one of my pet hates.
Point taken, the next time I post I will make sure that there is not a single 'i' in there :lol:

I did buy one but none of my door frames are suitable as I live in student accomodation with my missus. The only access I have is at the gym which I visit 3 times per week.

S_A, I will give that a try, haven't heard of that method before. I'll keep you posted though.

Thanks
jammin87

Post by jammin87 »

The negative pull ups (where you jump then slowly lower yourself) are good if you can't manage any pull ups yet. This has been said many times I'm sure, but the best way to get better at them is to keep doing them. So when you're out on your runs, if you see anything you could hang from, do some then, unless you're timing yourself for a specific distance. Things to hang from and do pull ups on - tree branch, car park entrance, football goals, kids playgrounds etc etc. As I said, if you want to get better at them, you just have to do them.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Those extendable pull up bars you can buy in Argos for about £15 can be put in more or less any doorframe. Yes they have cups you're meant to screw in, but if you extend it slightly longer than the frame is wide, put it in at a bit of an angle then really yank down on the higher end to wedge it in, it will stay there with no damage to the frame. My one at work has had 15st hanging off it no dramas.

To get started, incline pull ups (basically reversed press ups, you need a low bar to hang off) and assisted pull ups on the machine in the gym will help. Once you can do three or four, just keep banging them out. Lots of press ups too as these promote shoulder strength which has a surprising amount to do with it. Lat pull downs and bicep work will also help some, but this is far more minor.
ihavethedetermination

druadan wrote:Those extendable pull up bars you can buy in Argos for about £15 can be put in more or less any doorframe. Yes they have cups you're meant to screw in, but if you extend it slightly longer than the frame is wide, put it in at a bit of an angle then really yank down on the higher end to wedge it in, it will stay there with no damage to the frame. My one at work has had 15st hanging off it no dramas.

To get started, incline pull ups (basically reversed press ups, you need a low bar to hang off) and assisted pull ups on the machine in the gym will help. Once you can do three or four, just keep banging them out. Lots of press ups too as these promote shoulder strength which has a surprising amount to do with it. Lat pull downs and bicep work will also help some, but this is far more minor.
Thanks,

I will try that with the door frame and let you know how it goes.

IHTD

I will try that with the door frame
TheWedge

Keep it simple

Post by TheWedge »

Hey mate, if you want a simple PRMC training program that works then follow this http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14441.

I dont mean to sound negative but I really wouldnt waste your time focusing on Gym workouts/plans and all that stuff, that wont make you pass PRMC or recruit training, it will just stress you out, I only added gym workouts to my plan when I had time and I was approaching PRMC. Passing PRMC is really only about running, pressups, pullups and situps, that is all you have to do. When I first started training I could only do one pullup, I was gutted and thought I would never make it, 3 months later I was up to 12, you will get better. PRMC is only the first step, but I was chuffed as hell when I passed it.

I have only been in my unit 3 weeks now, I passed my training as one of 17 originals left in the troop and passed all my commando tests first time. I got the second fastest endurance course time and the 4th fastest tarzan assault course time out of the 26 recruits in our troop. Passing recruit training is all about determination and commitment, as long as you want it and are prepared to dig out then you will pass, just keep your training plan simple and realistic and dont even think about quitting. Dont mince out and dont drip about being tired, stay away from sick bay unless you are dying and dont be tempted by hunter troop if you fancy a rest for a few weeks!.

Good luck

David
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
ihavethedetermination

Nice one,

It's good to have advice of someone who is so fresh from the application process. Just got back from my second 5 miler. I knocked 2 mins off the time. I now do it in 58mins where earlier this week I managed it in an hour!!!! I know this is far away from the standard needed but I am using the theory that if I get used to longer distances I will be able to get good 3 mile times. I am also using a route which is varied and includes hills which I look at and am usually daunted by. I will not quit though and just get to the top of them and look back thinking i have done it :D

I will give that programme a try and see how I progress over the next few months.

Once again, Nice one
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

ihavethedetermination wrote:Just got back from my second 5 miler. I knocked 2 mins off the time. I now do it in 58mins where earlier this week I managed it in an hour!!!!
Yeah, as you say, you still have plenty of work to do, you will need to get the 5 miler down to 40 mins really then carry on working from there. As long as you keep knocking the minutes off then that's progress
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
E5_Man

Post by E5_Man »

whats the aim of your weights workout? gain mass? gain strength?
Before you insult someone, first walk a mile in their shoes, that way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
ihavethedetermination

E5_Man wrote:whats the aim of your weights workout? gain mass? gain strength?
Well it is to add strength also it mixes the workout up a bit rather than just doing the same things on a daily basis. The problem I have is that I may have muscle in the right places (well I hope so anyway :) ) it is just not strong enough to lift my weight.

The workouts seem to be working because I feel stronger and am able to get closer to actually doing a pull up than I was when I first started. I know Ishould lose a bit of weight and I 'm mixing up cardio sessions to complement my gym sessions. :)

Remember to capitalise the word 'I'.

Second warning, next time your post disappears.
Regards
T_T

Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Are you saying that you cant do 1 pull up at the moment mate? Because about 3 weeks ago I was in the same position as you. Get one of those pull up bars from Argos. All I did was hang off it at first and coudnt even do one now I can do 4. I dont stick to any pull up routine, just do a couple whenever I go in and out of my room and after my max sit ups and press ups. It will come so dont worry about making huge improvements in a really short time just crack on.

All the best.
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
ihavethedetermination

Dave_1987 wrote:Are you saying that you cant do 1 pull up at the moment mate? Because about 3 weeks ago I was in the same position as you. Get one of those pull up bars from Argos. All I did was hang off it at first and coudnt even do one now I can do 4. I dont stick to any pull up routine, just do a couple whenever I go in and out of my room and after my max sit ups and press ups. It will come so dont worry about making huge improvements in a really short time just crack on.

All the best.
Thats good to hear. It is really good to actually find someone who has been in the same situation as me :) Everyone else gives the impression that they are superhuman :wink:
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Anyone here do rope climbing or towel pull ups as a variation to help there pull up's?

I found these really help and make a nice change from endless bend and stretch off a solid bar.

Incorporates stabilization and grip strength more so than you're regular pull ups.

Just wondering

Stokey