Share This Page:

Poor swimming in RT

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
maritime_marine

Poor swimming in RT

Post by maritime_marine »

Has anybody gone into RT as a poor swimmer or did/does anybody have a poor swimming in their troop who is a poor. Im asking because im not very strong at all, ive been practasing but progress is very slow. I passed the swimming assesment on PRMC but i seem to get tired very quickly, mainly my triceps, towards my rear shoulder.

If so what happens if you are poor, how much help do you get and does it eat up your time for admin or such? Any information would be helpful.
RT 8th October
Second Place is the First Loser.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

A Officer who took me on a tour of Condor barracks a while back told me that when he joined up (as a Marine) he couldn't swim at all. He just had to go after hours and during scran and have private lessons... probably best if you can swim a bit but no need to be Olympic standard or anything. No sure if it is still the same (he was at the end of his 23 years service) now though.

Hope this helps

Stokey
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

It makes life easier if you enter RT as a confident swimmer. Otherwise, like Stokey says you must put in a few hours practice, after hours.

Even if you can't swim, they'll make sure you 'kin learn it!
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

don't say that you can't swim there because if you do they will throw you in and tell you that better learn quick!lol
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

im pretty decent swimmer swam county a while, anyone want any tips il be wellcome to help.
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

jarhead wrote:im pretty decent swimmer swam county a while, anyone want any tips il be wellcome to help.
Me please. How do you wear speedos without looking gay?
POC: Passed 21 June '06
AIB: Passed 28 June '06
AIB round 2: Failed!
PRMC: 26 June '07: Passed
RT: 24th Sept '07
Week 27 - Final Ex after Easter leave - blargh
Mrs Bevell of the AIB is still officially the nicest lady in the world.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

^^ :o depends on your package......

though wearing black or blue colour not pink may help.

though on main point i suggest people dont do just breastroke, as this tends to make your swimming ability go down as i found when i started just doing it due to being told that marines mainly do this.

i find freestyle or front crawl best to help with cv workout, and a good frontcrawl ability will help TONS in the overall swimming ability of a person.

how long can you guys hold you breath underwater...
maritime_marine

Post by maritime_marine »

Does it have to be the speedos, or can u get those hot pant things...like daniel craig?
RT 8th October
Second Place is the First Loser.
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

maritime_marine wrote:Does it have to be the speedos, or can u get those hot pant things...like daniel craig?
:o
POC: Passed 21 June '06
AIB: Passed 28 June '06
AIB round 2: Failed!
PRMC: 26 June '07: Passed
RT: 24th Sept '07
Week 27 - Final Ex after Easter leave - blargh
Mrs Bevell of the AIB is still officially the nicest lady in the world.
Salero

Post by Salero »

Hey,
I'm a poor swimmer as well I'm in 946 troop week 16 You get good coaching from the PTI's when you're there. The best thing to do is not get phased out by it, just relax and listen to what they tell you.
They wont get pissed of if you can't do it, but they will if you don't listen.

Good luck.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

maritime_marine wrote:Does it have to be the speedos, or can u get those hot pant things...like daniel craig?
Bond = bow tie, not circa 1960's hotpants!

Personally I wear those black lycra thigh-length things (like cycling shorts without the padding) for pretty much everything, running, swimming etc. Started doing it off triathlon stuff, where you obviously wear the same kit for all 3 disciplines. Got an odd look or two from the lads when I started out, but increasingly people realise they are seriously good kit & got some too.

Nothing better when you're out in the field either; don't ride up like cotton, don't rub like cotton, still comfortable when wet / sweat, dry quicker than anything else, and don't pick up the same honk so your basha buddy will thank you & you can wear them for longer without admin issues.
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Top tip there Sarastro, I've used them for the couple of years too. I must admit that I haven't tried swimming in them yet though.