Share This Page:

PJFT & KPH =?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
paddlequack

PJFT & KPH =?

Post by paddlequack »

Sorry if this has been done to death but i need to know as my medical is this wednesday and my PJFT will follow soon after.
What is the minimum KPH on a treadmill to pass?
marcus2007

Post by marcus2007 »

I think its 15.2 mate. Please bear in mind that it takes about 15 seconds to get the treadmill upto that speed. What i did was have it on 15 for 5 minutes, 15.5 for 3 minutes, and 16 for as long as i could.
Running isnt my strength if you noticed :lol:
But it passed me, just run flat out for as long as you can, and repeat. Its only 8+ minutes of pain, so you'll be fine :D

Make sure you get plenty of interval and fartlek training in for the PJFT, i felt it helped drastically!

Good luck mate

Edit: Remember, this is a best effort test! You dont want to be just scraping it, run like man possessed till its done!
Week 6 of RM Training (7/1/2008)

956 Troop

Think of the worst, hope for the best...
paddlequack

Post by paddlequack »

Cheers mate, i'm running at 13.2 as my fastest kph for running 10 mins straight so i got alot of fartlekking to go till i can get to 15 :)
MadAd

Post by MadAd »

My advise is put it up to 15.5 for 3 mins then 16 for the rest. Just bomb it.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

^^, im going to keep it on 15.2 for first lot then 15.4 for second stage then press upto 16.

or just do 15.6 for 75% of run then can allways go slower if you proper struggle at end.

i hate tredmills lol
marcus2007

Post by marcus2007 »

paddlequack wrote:Cheers mate, i'm running at 13.2 as my fastest kph for running 10 mins straight so i got alot of fartlekking to go till i can get to 15 :)
Well how long have you got till your PJFT buddy?

Dont just rely on fartlek..use different techniques. One 6 miler a week would really make these little runs a bit easier, aswell as a small 1 miler to get a bit of speed going!

If you want me to write you up a little running program give me a P.M! :wink:

956 Troop

Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

I know this can't really be classed as help as such but one thing I always do when running at higher speeds, is lengthen my stride. Lengthening your stride allows for a greater running speed, I can attest to it by smugly saying I ran at 23km/h albeit only for 40 seconds before succumbing (sp?) to that bastard, Lactic Acid.
paddlequack

Post by paddlequack »

marcus2007 wrote:
paddlequack wrote:Cheers mate, i'm running at 13.2 as my fastest kph for running 10 mins straight so i got alot of fartlekking to go till i can get to 15 :)
Well how long have you got till your PJFT buddy?

Dont just rely on fartlek..use different techniques. One 6 miler a week would really make these little runs a bit easier, aswell as a small 1 miler to get a bit of speed going!

If you want me to write you up a little running program give me a P.M! :wink:

I haven't booked my PJFT yet, next is my medical and after that is PJFT so yeah i have around a month to get up to scratch!!!!!!!!
MadAd

Post by MadAd »

I always do when running at higher speeds, is lengthen my stride. Lengthening your stride allows for a greater running speed
I always do this on a short fast run. I look like a mad man trying to measure my strides with the pavement. But yeh try your hardest to get long strides out on the treadmill, cos the less time your feet spend on the belt the quicker your times gonna be.
marcus2007

Post by marcus2007 »

p.m sent mate 8)

956 Troop

fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

Fellas no one will care about your PJFT as long as you pass it in under 10 mins. Pass it in 9:59, pass it in 6 mins, it's doesn't mean squat after the AFCO has submitted you as an applicant for PRMC.

Btw, if you run witha short stride length your time will be exactly the same as with a long stride length when the speed you run at is dictated by the treadmill.
POC: Passed 21 June '06
AIB: Passed 28 June '06
AIB round 2: Failed!
PRMC: 26 June '07: Passed
RT: 24th Sept '07
Week 27 - Final Ex after Easter leave - blargh
Mrs Bevell of the AIB is still officially the nicest lady in the world.
MadAd

Post by MadAd »

Btw, if you run witha short stride length your time will be exactly the same as with a long stride length when the speed you run at is dictated by the treadmill
Howd you work this out? A treadmill belt runs at a certain revolutions per minute and the added weight on you running on this slows it down, so no it wont be exactly the same time as if you shortened your strides.
marcus2007

Post by marcus2007 »

whenever i run on the road i always find that i shorten my strides when i want to go faster, however this may be different for treadmill. but i can understand however long your feet are up in the air the treadmill is still running.

956 Troop

degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

MadAd wrote:
Btw, if you run witha short stride length your time will be exactly the same as with a long stride length when the speed you run at is dictated by the treadmill
Howd you work this out? A treadmill belt runs at a certain revolutions per minute and the added weight on you running on this slows it down, so no it wont be exactly the same time as if you shortened your strides.
i dont think the effect of your weight slows the belt down to any great degree to make much of a difference,and its debateable it would slow it down at all...

im no expert but i would have guessed that the mechanism of the treadmill wouldnt make this possible anyway..

Im guessing that yes the belt runs on an rpm basis BUT the calculated rpm goes off the turns of the rotors that actually pull the belt,not the belt itself,and that the belt isnt attatched to the rotors per se,only they grip it to pull it along,much like a set of turntable decks and a slipmatt,ie/your fingers on the vinyl are like your feet on the belt,and any slowing down of the belt wouldnt make a difference to the reading on the display-that is a complete guess mind so correct me if im wrong,but anyway all this isn't important since i reckon the treadmill has enough torque to make the weight of an average person stepping on it make no difference at all regardless(wow im so very bored :-? )

I think the more important point with treadmills is that they do alot of the work for you,ie/you dont have to propel yourself foreward as much as you do on the road(i've certainly found that although treadmills do work your cv system,they do less for your leg muscles than normal roadwork),its more a case of going forward and upward because the ground in effect is moving for you,so....the longer your stride on a treadmill the less strides you have to take to cover the same distance.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

MadAd wrote:
As degrees of passion mentioned, if a treadmill didn't have enough torque to cope with a person running on it, the speed indicator on the treadmill would be false, and the treadmill would be useless. If you set the speed at 15.2 kmh and run for 2.4k, your time will be exactly the same if you run with short gait, longer gait or just stand next to the bloody thing and watch it spin.
POC: Passed 21 June '06
AIB: Passed 28 June '06
AIB round 2: Failed!
PRMC: 26 June '07: Passed
RT: 24th Sept '07
Week 27 - Final Ex after Easter leave - blargh
Mrs Bevell of the AIB is still officially the nicest lady in the world.