Share This Page:

Not enough to do!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
quirk

Not enough to do!

Post by quirk »

hi everyone my problems pretty basic really. i have a job on a building site and i try to fit in as much training around it as i can but now all my tests are coming up very soon i was thinking of giving up the job and going into full time training as ive got enough money to keep me going now. problem is i dont think theres enough exercises i can do to take up my day.

Around my job i currently do a circuit in morning, a 4 mile run, the 'deck of cards' circuit i found on this site, bodyweight exercises and then throw in sit ups of all sorts at end of nite but mainly marine style.

my point is other than this i cant think of any training i could do to fill up my day if i quit the job. weights is an idea but my muscles will often ache after the gym so much so that i have trouble doing my bodyweight which are more important i hear. thanks alot. hopefully see some of you lads soon :P
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I don't believe training all day is required and most probably will lead to injury. Depending on you're fitness level one hour circuit training and a run would be enough... You might also want to add some weights in there. If you can split it into two sessions that would be better as it allows more time for recovery, something like...

AM
weights

PM
hour (or sometimes less) of circuit training followed by tough run.

More can be less. A good circuit may only last 20-30 minuets but by the end you'll be wreaked. Something like Tabata drills (see post just bellow this one.) will only last a few minuets but can have you hanging out.

These kind of thing will be better than hours of endless low intensity exercise. No human can go 100% for 3-4-5 hour straight you're intensity and quality of exercise will soon drop thus making the work out less effective.

my run's are the only things that sometimes last more than a hour. weights and circuit training between 30-60 minuets (occasionally less with really high intensity stuff)

remember to get the correct rest also this is just as important!

make sure there's good verity in you're work outs but don't become obsessed by exercise. Be sure to keep a good active social life as well as training.

I think if you train two sessions a day then any more than 3 hours training (as a hole) should be max and even then you don't need to do that every day. maybe 1-2 times a week a long day like that would be fine the rest of the time 1-2 hours will be more than enough to run you're self into the ground.

Sorry if I haven't been to clear :-?

Hope I’ve helped

Stokey :wink:
Macca

Post by Macca »

To be honest mate you don't sound like you need to quit your job as its sounds as though your doing a fair amount anyway, you don't need to be filling your entire day with phys as it increases chance of injury and you can over do it. before my PRMC a normal day for me would be 1.5 mile in morning, circuit training early afternoon, then down the gym at night working the upper body finishing of with a 1.5mile best effort. Increased that abit more before i started RT aswel but not by alot.

carry on workin hard though mate :D
quirk

Post by quirk »

brilliant thanks alot lads. The building is a bit of a work out for the back anyways. haha ok plan is to keep the job and just throw in max effort on every bit of exercise i do. no need to tons. right ill get started on that an see the effects cheers
Shrek The Royal

Post by Shrek The Royal »

I wouldn't bother fella, quitting your job to do phys all day is just kicking the arse out of it. Before i joined, on days when i was mega keen i used to make phys part of my work routine as well as doing phys when i got home, i.e. running 4 miles to work and running home, doing pull ups at work press ups ect.. i used to work in farming before i joined the corps so it was pretty flexible bit diffrent if you work in Curry's i suppose.
marine101

Post by marine101 »

your muscles get used to weight training after a short while and shouldnt ache. its a fact. if i take even a week off from weight training then ill ache the next time i do it. so just keep at weights and youll do fine. plus what youve been doing aswel
got to Week 7 and left :(
803troop

Post by 803troop »

The 'ache' you feel is a build up of latic acid. That is why a warm/cool down are important. Just as import is rest. Take days off where needed and do some light swimming.jogging on this days and plaenty of stretching to eliminate this latic acid build up.

If you train 24/7 you make yourslef ill. Listen to your body. It'll tell you when to take a day off or go light to aid it's recovery. Make sure you're eating properly as well as when you exercise you break muscle tissue down and when you rest you build it back up.

Baz
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

My AFCO said its best if I train around work and fit it all in as the days at CTC are very long so practice makes perfect.
Felias

Post by Felias »

PAGreenwell wrote:Why don't you just keep it simple.

Bodyweight circuit in the morning.
Run in the afternoon/evening

Then maybe do max press ups, sit ups and pull ups before bed.
OK, you sound like you might be over doing it. This is the way we work in Commando units, Monday-Run tuesday- circuit, wed- run-, thurs-Circuit-Friday-run.. If your doing phys twice a day and comfortable with it then crack on. But Runs need to be fairly long and quick paced with hills, massive ones. Circuit needs to be hard- 9 ex's 30 seconds on each max effort sprints and such at the end. If you can manage 2 phys sessions a day then you might not be workin hard enough in the first session because frankly, the running routes around 42 are rather cheeky with massive hills going on for ages. Everyones hangin after that.
THinking about leaving already!
quirk

Post by quirk »

Thanks lads and yeah felias i guess my circuits and that just arnt high enough intensity ill try and sort that. Its just that ive always done the odd bit of fitness here and there with weights and football and that but now my tests are coming up ive realised ive started training for the RM way too late and i need to cram it all in now. thats why ive bin trying to throw everything i can at it so i can reach the level of fitness most lads turn up in. I am fit just not RM fit haha if you see what im saying
Felias

Post by Felias »

If quick progression is what uour looking for and quickly, start doing sprints in your runs, run for 2 lamp posts and then rest for 3 then run for 2. It works and really gets you fit ultra quick.
THinking about leaving already!