Share This Page:

Iraq and afghan

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Ali3

Iraq and afghan

Post by Ali3 »

Alright chaps, im fairly new to this site but was wondering what the guys who are applying/in rt/ passed out of rt, and what their views on the conflicts in iraq and afghan are.

Has it altered/enhanced your enthusiasm for joining?
What are your families views on joining the forces? As all the media these days paints a low picture of the forces.
Are you joining thinking the war on terror cannot be won, yet joining to fulfill a life dream?
To any guys who went to afghan, do you think the british presence is working? Or do you feel it may spiral towards the stalemate of vietnam as its all so commonly linked to these days.

Im just curious into peoples views.
many thanks
Ali
McGuire86

Post by McGuire86 »

I have my views but don't want to post as some may offend
'In the warrior's heart there's no surrender, though his body says stop - his spirit cries never !'

Application sent - 10/11/07
BARBS Test - 05/12/07 - Passed for Paras
Interview - 11/02/08 - Passed
ADSC - May -
ReadyEddie

Post by ReadyEddie »

I think we're over there for the right reasons-mostly-but there have been mistakes made. It doesn't help that the Yanks are making all the decisions.

The war hasn't affected my desire to join. The british are always involved in conflicts or "peace keeping" duties, even when it's not in the papers. I've got a mate who was a para in N. Ireland during the mid 90's and they had small arms contacts at least once a week but when he went home people thought it was a piece of piss cos they didn't report it in the press. I've heard stories of blokes going out to Iraq last year and not seeing any action at all.
Ty

Post by Ty »

I dont think the conflicts over there are ever going to be resolved. If it's not the US fighting for the oil, its them fighting over religions. Reminds me of a song lyric.

You can't trust freedom
When it's not in your hands
When everybody's fightin'
For their promised land

I dunno, bomb the whole bit into a parking lot, and have them rebuild it and work together.
azard9330

Post by azard9330 »

my brother went to iraq and didnt get any action :(

i think were in those places for reasons like iraq sadams ragime killing people and letting his sons go mad i cant believe how under appriciated the military is its crazy even the pay soldiers get isnt good enough

those countrys cant sort themselves out so we need to help we once had a great empire and when we let somewhere go they go crazy so it shows were good at what we do when were there its just gonna take a long time to fix and then will it stay sorted ? i doupt it

afgan has made even more eager to join ratheer than sitting around doing nothing ill be there serving. i may change my mind when im there though lol
psychometric test- passed
eye test- passed
interview- passed
medical- passed
pjft- passed
prmc- passed
rt- 5th of november
riflebutt

Post by riflebutt »

I'm still behind the theory that the U.S did it all for oil.

51 Squadron, RAF regiment, are coming up to their last days of their tour in Afghan and their tour's been very quiet, no shitty situations etc.

Jamie
McGuire86

Post by McGuire86 »

we shouldn't be in iraq right now. we aint doing nothing there. as our presence is so small all we are doing is sitting there being attacked and when we go out for supplies we get attacked again. we should pull out of iraq right now
'In the warrior's heart there's no surrender, though his body says stop - his spirit cries never !'

ADSC - May -
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

I don't really give 2 shits about the political situation etc

I just want to get back in, do the job and have a bit crack with the lads

Thinking too deeply on these matters is not for me
Felias

Post by Felias »

azard9330 wrote:my brother went to iraq and didnt get any action :(

i think were in those places for reasons like iraq sadams ragime killing people and letting his sons go mad i cant believe how under appriciated the military is its crazy even the pay soldiers get isnt good enough

those countrys cant sort themselves out so we need to help we once had a great empire and when we let somewhere go they go crazy so it shows were good at what we do when were there its just gonna take a long time to fix and then will it stay sorted ? i doupt it

afgan has made even more eager to join ratheer than sitting around doing nothing ill be there serving. i may change my mind when im there though lol

Really, do you know how many guys want to go on OPS in the corps?? All of them they all want Afghan or whatever and want to swamp on the enemies doorstep. Chances of getting ops in first year are well.....it all depends when you passout.
THinking about leaving already!
Felias

Post by Felias »

riflebutt wrote:I'm still behind the theory that the U.S did it all for oil.

51 Squadron, RAF regiment, are coming up to their last days of their tour in Afghan and their tour's been very quiet, no shitty situations etc.

Jamie
My mates in RAF reg, they get NO action just patrol airbases. Yes its true he told me himself.
THinking about leaving already!
McGuire86

Post by McGuire86 »

My friend went to afghanistan 8 months after passing out

ADSC - May -
adj125

Post by adj125 »

Felias wrote:
riflebutt wrote:I'm still behind the theory that the U.S did it all for oil.

Jamie
My mates in RAF reg, they get NO action just patrol airbases. Yes its true he told me himself.
viewtopic.php?t=15894
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
riflebutt

Post by riflebutt »

Felias.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... Palace.htm

Just recently we have seen a wave of Rockape casualties!!
2 Squadron of the RAF regiment were the last unit to mount an operational attack by Parachute in the British Armed Forces. I know 1 or 2 people personally in 51 Sqn out in Afghan right now. They're not seeing any 'action' but every day they are coming across IED's, weapons caches, buildings to raid etc!!
Once in the RAF regiment you can serve amongst the SFSG who knows if they're getting action?? It's secretive.

No the RAF reg do not just 'patrol airbases'.
Sorry mate but that pissed me off ;)

Jamie
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

what their views on the conflicts in iraq and afghan are.
To me what happens over in Iraq is just like poverty, I don't care if we are over there because of 9/11, I don't care if we are over there because the US wants more oil, at the end of the day the country is undeveloped.
If your next door neighbour had to starve to death tonight because he had no money would you just watch and see what happens? Would you tell him ''It's your problem, deal with it?''. Now nobody is saying you have to make your neighbour a millionair, all you need to do is help him back onto their feet. Just because you could ignore it, dosn't mean he won't die.
Now I didn't go and get a degree in 'What's happening in Iraq', I didn't even get good GCSEs so you don't have to take my word for it but from what I know, your poor next door neighbour and Iraq are very similar. It's in trouble, we all know that, but whos job is it to stop this? I think we all know the answear, all we need to do is make the country self-sufficient.
This world needs to look after it's self, and personally I would rather be in the military helping those who are in 'much' need of it then the guy helping the costumer to a new car or something. I'm not against those who have these jobs because I know everyone dosn't want to go into the military but I am against those who think we shouldn't help other countries. And I think we should be thankful that we can help another country develop and not the ones asking for help from other countries.
fodd

Post by fodd »

I joined the royal marines.
1. be a marine
2. trap like ten men
3.go places in the world.

hardest thing for me was being at home when my oppo's were in ganners and i also knew cpl nowak who was killed in iraq end of the day u join up to be a front line soldier.

oh and a ex sergant reckons now is the best time to be in royal with all the kit and ganners etc plus the new aircraft carriers :wink:
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.