Share This Page:

Achilles tendonitis

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Ty

Achilles tendonitis

Post by Ty »

Hey chaps.

Anyone suffer from this before ?. I have been off from running for a little over 2 months now. Seen a physiotherapist for a month who says it was a tendon strain on BOTH of my feet. They just give me some ultra sounds and some electrotherapy. I've never heard of something like this taking more then 2 months to heal.

Im going to see an orthopedic doctor august 15th to see what else could be causing this. I've just been cycling a bit, but mostly swimming. Anyone get over this ?. I stretch every morning, stretch before every swim, and then apply an ice pack on both feet after swimming.
McGuire86

Post by McGuire86 »

try deep heat on it before you go running, or try running on grass instead of hard surfaces. I used to get pains in my legs when i started my running training about 5months ago then i started to run on grass and got some decent trainers. After a while the pains went, it might be your body isn't used to it but after a while it should get better. Might not be the problem but that's what worked for me :wink:
'In the warrior's heart there's no surrender, though his body says stop - his spirit cries never !'

Application sent - 10/11/07
BARBS Test - 05/12/07 - Passed for Paras
Interview - 11/02/08 - Passed
ADSC - May -
Ty

Post by Ty »

Thanks buddy. I just bought a heat blanket last night. Gonna wrap my feet up in it tonight. I haven't ran really at all. Last week I did a 5 min walk warmup on the treadmill, and then a 7 min run, and had no problems really. Just walking around, driving and every day stuff makes them ache, even sitting.

All happened when I went for a 4 mile run out of the blue, with a lot of hills, with a HORRIBLE pair of shoes. I really hope to get better !!, I need to train before I join next year.

Any and all suggestions are welcome !!
McGuire86

Post by McGuire86 »

you say you ran 4 miles, but how come you're waiting to join next year? why not this year ?
'In the warrior's heart there's no surrender, though his body says stop - his spirit cries never !'

ADSC - May -
Ty

Post by Ty »

Well the injury is one thing, but mainly I need to go for lazer eye surgury. Word on the street is that you have to wait 12 months afterwards to apply, which is a pain, cause I feel old enough as it is, just turned 25.

I MIGHT be able to pass the eye test as it is right now....but I don't wanna be on course wearing glasses / contacts, just to much of a hassle. So I hope to get my surgury in September, then fly over then, ( I live in Canada ), and then take the tests :-). Both of my older brothers are in the army here, but.... I wanna join the best ;-).
McGuire86

Post by McGuire86 »

yeah i see your frustration. but not being an expert or anything in my honest opinion i think they will let you in i mean lets look at the facts they are very under strength right now and need troops. i had a concern about getting in as i have an 'unspent conviction' and it won't be spent for another 3 years but after talking to a few officers i will be granted a waiver so long i impress in the interview and prmc. what i would do is email a afco here and get their opinions and take it from there, good luck anyway im sure you will be fine mate :D

ADSC - May -
Ty

Post by Ty »

Yea, Im thinking they might waive the 12 month thing....Im thinking about 8 or so I might be able to get in. Heres hoping. Thanks for the advice and the chat McGuire :-), good luck to you as well !!.
lewis

Post by lewis »

A decent pair of trainers will help. Also ask about a 'heel lift.'
Ty

Post by Ty »

Hey guys, just a good update on what I found has worked so far with me. I still haven't run yet, not until I see my orthepedic doctor, cause walking is still uncomfortable sometimes. However, people that might suffer from this, heres some info !!. Keep in mind I AM NOT AN EXPERT !!.

First of all Get evaluated by a SPORTS doctor and ask if physical therapy would help you. If your insurance will pay for the PT, by all means go for it. The PT will help you get through this in different ways. Luckily my PT acted both as a therapist and a coach.

Do toe raise exercises (do a google search for pics). Work up to 3 sets of 10 or 15, 1 to 2x daily. I have read that once the healing has started, this is one of the most effective things you can do to get over AT.

Wear a night splint while you sleep if you can tolerate it. Use the same one used for plantar fasciitis. The strassburg sock is a good one. (Again, look it up on google if you need a pic or purchasing source). Basically it keeps your tendon in an extended position while you sleep, so that it is not tight the next morning and also so that it heals that way.

Make sure you warm up thoroughly before any stretching or exercise. I hear it's best to heat the tendon for 20 minutes, then do 10 minutes of walking + 5 minutes of jogging before you actually " run ". After the warmup and before the run its also good to pause and stretch. Then its always good to do a warm down, like a 10 minute walk, and then another stretch

If you just want to stretch and not run, then heat it first and maybe walk for 5 minutes, then stretch. Never stretch too vigorously with the achilles though !.

Oh and about heating... using a heating pad is the easiest way to go. Once your injury has started to heal and there is no swelling, you can start heating it, and you can heat it more than once per day. The achilles does not get a lot of blood flow, which is why it is slow to heal, so by heating you are increasing circulation to the area to help with the healing process. If you can, wear some kind of wrap around your lower leg during the day to help retain heat in that area.

Find out if you need a heel lift or heel lifts. Usually you would use two, but if the injured leg is shorter than the uninjured leg, then you might need to use only 1. Your PT or doc can measure your legs to find this out. Do not attempt to do it yourself; you will probably do it wrong if you do.

Ask the PT/Doc if a splint or support of some kind would be helpful. I bought an achilles heel strap, but my PT said it would not help my case....not sure why, but I hear they are good.

Ice after exercising! 20 minutes, or do 10 on, 10 off, 10 on. Some research has indicated that the on-off method is more effective. Use a bag of frozen corn or peas because it will conform more to your leg. Place a wet cloth between you and the ice to prevent burning. Use the wet cloth when using a heating pad, too.

Discuss the use of anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen with your pt/doc. Although they ease pain and fight inflammation, they also can slow down the body's natural healing process (at least this is what I have read lately, and numerous times I should say).

Make sure you are wearing high-quality shoes, and shoes that are right for YOU. Your PT should be able to help you with this, if not then trust someone who works at a running store. Also, find out if you need orthotics.

Don't eat a lot of fatty foods, especially foods high in monounsaturated fats. I've read that these kinds of foods actually can increase inflammation, even though monounsaturated fats are considered a healthy fat.

So yea, thats my ramble. Remember Im Not a professional, but that should help some people for wasting hours searching on the internet for weeks like I have. Give the injury time to heal. I have heard of it taking up to 9 months to get between 95 - 99 % healed. Let your body be your guide !.

Later Chaps !
Ollie_69

Post by Ollie_69 »

Cheers thats a good post, I've been having problems with tendonitis in both my heels and my right knee due to training for Nijmegen.
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Best thing I did was buy a pair of Rebook DMX for roads/gym and Cross country pair. I found the nikes quite unconfortable - infact the nail on my big toe was so badly brusied from them the nail is going to come off.

Get some decent running shoes!

Ofcourse thats gonna mean squat once running in boots.
Application submitted: 28-03-08
Psychometric tests: 10-04-08 (Passed)
Eyetest: 21-04-08 (Passed 6/6)
Medical: 08-05-08 (Passed)
Interview: 21-05-08 (Passed)
PJFT: 21/11/08 (Passed)
PRMC: 27/01/09 (Passed)
RT: 23/03/09
"You create the pain, YOU can make it go away"
briggfoot

Post by briggfoot »

alright mate,
unlucky to hear about that, its frustrating i know.

I have a similar thing called Tendosinovitus (sp?) at the moment - came out of the blue, my ankle became swollen and painful for no obvious reason during a couple of months when i was doing nothing particularly active.

Had surgery a couple of weeks ago, cast off today, on crutches with another cast for the next 3 weeks.

Annoying as i want to go out running, but the whole thing of resting an injured joint etc is there for a reason. If you cant excercise a certain area, focus on doing something else. I'm working a lot on press-ups and upper body strength whilst i can't run, and it's paying off.

Don't cut corners when it comes to recovering from an injury, follow the doctors orders and rest it for the required amount of time, even if you feel ready to crack on after a week or so. It may only lead to more of an injury further down the line!

When you're young its easy to think you can get away without warming up/ warming down & stretching, but now i've picked up an injury i will definately be taking these more seriously in future!

good luck with your recovery..
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Alright,
Just to reiterate, with any sort of running problem go see a Podiatrist and get a running analysis done. Then get a shoe sorted out for you. Try not to reply on just a physio, see a dedicated running person if possible.

And also cross train. I can't say enough how valuable this is. You can't rely on just running as it *will* lead to muscle inbalances in your lower limbs. Get on the bike, the rower, cross trainer, anything! It's all good phys.

Just thought I'd chip in and help people learn from when I've gone wrong in the past. Tendon/muscle problems can easily give you more grief than bone breaks.

All the best for your training.

Chemist
briggfoot

Post by briggfoot »

Hi Chemist, good points there....

I have had shin splints a couple of years ago when my mileage was rediculous, but these havn't caused me problems for a year or two.
Do you think it is worth seeing a podiatrist and getting an analyses done anyway, along the lines of "prevention is better than cure," or will the podiatrist not have anything to work on untill he's got some ailments to try and solve?

Sorry for the rambling question!

Just been reading an interview with Paula Radcliffe in some JJB free magazine. In it she explains how she does lots of leg/feet excercises to try and prevent injury when you are tired late on in a run and your technique may begin to suffer.

One example is when brushing your teeth, stand on one leg to work some of the small stability muscles around the ankle.

atb
Ty

Post by Ty »

See the topic came back up :-). Was awhile back now. Im glad to say I have made a full recovery, and I have done my laser eye surgery. Good times !
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing