Share This Page:

Achilles tendonitis

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Briggfoot - well I'm no podiatrist so can't really advise. But the Podiatrist I saw was based in a running store, and they offered the trainer fitting for free. They pop you on a tredmil and watch your foot strike (barefoot) in slow motion. Then they advise what sort of shoe would be good for you. I've had this done, so has my brother and also a friend (we all had leg and foot troubles running) and the shoes they advised have worked a treat. So although shin splints aren't too much of a problem and not something likely to come back unless you change your training, I'd say that it doesn't hurt to get some shoes from an expert. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who don't worry about this sort of thing and they don't have any problem!

Chemist
_chris

Post by _chris »

Briggfoot wrote:I have had shin splints a couple of years ago when my mileage was rediculous, but these havn't caused me problems for a year or two.
Do you think it is worth seeing a podiatrist and getting an analyses done anyway, along the lines of "prevention is better than cure," or will the podiatrist not have anything to work on untill he's got some ailments to try and solve?
They'll be able to work out what problems you may be likely to suffer from, and look at ways of preventing them. Runners world or some such magazine recently advised everyone to go to a pod who was about to up there training or start training, just to check they may not have a problem in the waiting. Clearly that's excessive, but if you think that you are likely to suffer from problems that have hampered your efforts again then seeing them will do no harm.

Also as chemist says, any decent running store will be able to do a gait analysis and see what shoes you need to help prevent troubles. This doesn't need to be done with a full treadmill and camera set-up, an experienced assistant can just have you do certain exercises and watch you run a little and can analyse what you need; but most will now have the full set up, just for ease of use. This sort of gait analysis is not as detailed as a full podiatrists assessment (some shops have fully trained podiatrists, most won't), but very few people are going to need that unless you have something actually wrong.