Share This Page:

PRMC Training!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
MadAd

PRMC Training!

Post by MadAd »

Hey all, found this website which seems very good. Just wanted to know what everyone thinks of my training program for the PRMC.

I have just entered my 5th week of training and i feel very ready for the PRMC.

Monday: Morning - 4 mile run (best effort)
Afternoon - heavy weights gym workout

Tuesday: Monring - 3 mile run (best effort)
Afternoon - Endurance/determination gym session. This includes pressups, situps, arm curls, weighted squats, bench press, seated rows, clean and press etc. This session concentrates on high reps 30+ with as little rest as possible and lasts about 20 minutes of continuous work.

Then repeat. On thursdays i have rugby training and also this week i have been doing pressups, situps to fail in the afternoon.
My stats are quite good, 4 mile run in 29:35 mins, 3 mile run in 21:45 mins, 40 good pressups in 2 mins nonstop, sit-ups and pull-ups are good too. Let me know what you think.
Spence

Post by Spence »

You tell us mate! You've been doing it for five weeks now, so how does it feel? Do you feel fresh before every workout or still fatigued? Have your times improved since you started or have they stayed the same?

Maybe continue this programme for another two weeks, and then take a de-load week before coming back with a completly different programme?

On looking over your programme it doesn't seem like you have any rest days, remeber rest is when you grow. How long did it take you to reach this volume of work?

What are your current strengths and weakness? What do you enjoy training most?

Could you also include facts about your nutrition and lifestyle? That would help us give you better answer
Brows

Post by Brows »

If i may be so bold i have the following suggestions:

Sod most of the weight training and focus more on press-ups (marine style), sit-ups and pull-ups. Doing weight training is fine but if you can't do a decent amount of these then what's the point. The PTI's don't care what you can bench press or curl. I personally did/do press-ups and sit-ups everyday before bed (every weekday, i have the weekend off).
You say you can do 40 press-ups in a row, that’s not bad but do you give yourself a 20 second break then do some more?
What i did was max out on press-ups, then do sit-ups, then press-ups again etc etc.

I would suggest maybe doing 3 runs a week rather than your 2. The distances you are going are about right, but throw in a 8 mile long one and a 1.5 mile short one every now and again so your body doesn't get too use to it. And if you haven't done one download and put a bleep test on your iPod. Measure out 20 meters then count your paces for that distance. Your normal walking pace will be pretty consistent so you just need 2 objects, walk out your 20 meter space (34 steps for myself) and do a bleep test every now and again.
Try and do it at least 2 times a week.

Are your runs are they done in boots? If not get a pair and bloody well run in them. When i first started training in boots it was a big shock.
Mainly because i went for a run at 6 in the morning (middle of winter) in just shorts and T-shirt and blister up so badly i couldn't run. I nearly caught hypothermia hobbling back.
But boots are very different to run in.

I think that your 3 miler in trainers should be around the 20 minutes maximum mark so i think there is some room for improvement there.

Brows
RM Commission progress

POC: 04/06/07 -Passed
AIB: 02/07/07 -Fail, needed more life experience

Intend to re-apply after I have gone to university

Read my diaries in the RM archives section THEN PM me if you have a question
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

Brows' advice is on the mark for he main, but needs a couple of corrections:

You don't do any boot runs on PRMC, only Bottom Field so I wouldn't worry about purchasing a pair of boots specifically for training.

Secondly the 3 mile run on PRMC is run in this format:
1.5 miles as a squad in 12.5 minutes,
1.5 mile best effort back along the same route.

You should be aiming to complete the 1.5 miles in under 10 mins.

Good luck,
Ben
POC: Passed 21 June '06
AIB: Passed 28 June '06
AIB round 2: Failed!
PRMC: 26 June '07: Passed
RT: 24th Sept '07
Week 27 - Final Ex after Easter leave - blargh
Mrs Bevell of the AIB is still officially the nicest lady in the world.
Brows

Post by Brows »

Yeah i have only experienced a POC so i was just rattling off what i was doing with the belief that the main meat will be much the same.

Ben, best of luck with your PRMC tomorrow. But since you've already passed POC you should find it a lot more relaxing. :D Have you read my diary?

Brows
RM Commission progress

POC: 04/06/07 -Passed
AIB: 02/07/07 -Fail, needed more life experience

Intend to re-apply after I have gone to university

Read my diaries in the RM archives section THEN PM me if you have a question
MadAd

Training

Post by MadAd »

hey lads thanks for the input.

Firstly in response to the first reply, yeh i feel a hell of alot fitter and i can breaze a 4 mile run in 29 mins and an indurance/determination session feels easy. There was some confusion about my training program though. I do the 4 mile run on monday wed, and friday mornings and the 3 mile run on tuesday and thursday mornings. I rest on the weekend and then start again on the monday. The evenings again go weights monday and wednesday evenings and endurance circuts tuesday and thursday evenings. Again i have this week been concentrating on more press-ups and sit-ups in the afternoon of each day.

The 4 and 3 mile runs are up-hill and also flat, 4 steep long hills in total. i have downloaded a bleep test onto my ipod and i intend to practise this on wednesday or tuesday afternoon at my local park. The only thing i feel that needs work is my push-ups which i can get about 40 out without a break then i start for fatigue.
MadAd

Training cont

Post by MadAd »

I hate running with a passion but i still get up and run everyday. I like swimming however still waiting to get paid so i can get that going again in the afternoons. I enjoy doing situps and pullups as well.
My diet is not too bad. I was bodybuilding for nearly 3 years and had a excellent diet but now that has seemed to disappear. I eat a sandwich for breakfast with 750 ml of lucozade sport because i hate running after a meal, then tuna pasta for lunch with some bread and then a full dinner in the evenings usually meat and veg, whatever is cooked for me, followed by some porriage oats after dinner.
Crap i know!!!
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

If I may add my two penny’s
indurance/determination session feels easy.
I may (probably have) miss understood you here but a determination or Endurance session should be just that something that push's you to the point where you can't go on anymore, this certainly isn't easy. So if you do find them easy then increase the length/intensity of you’re session really push your self.

Other than that you seem to have come on a good way in just 5 weeks so keep it up :wink:

Listen to you’re body, if your abs still hurt from there last session then give them another day rest... I’ve always been told that muscles that are aching are repairing and growing there for anything above a bit of soreness should be taken as the muscles not being full rested and more rest will only do them good.

Keep changing your training about and hit the muscles in different ways to increase and help improvements also, don‘t get stuck in the same routine as this is boring and wont get you the best gains.

Keep up the good work mate, only you can really find what works best .

Stokey

P.S. found this link

http://bodyweighttraining.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=794

It's very good for planning out a training program and it may help... hope it does anyways :wink:
Statistic

Post by Statistic »

Long time since I’ve done anything RM related and it seems to me that the PRMC has changed some what, at least with the run (but then it was always changing). However I still keep fit with the same methods.

Much of what’s been said on here is pretty good advice, what I’d say to you though is this:

Mix it up a little, yes it’s easy to follow a routine but this is inefficient and will see your fitness plateau – which can be very frustrating. Draw up an exercise plan for the next few weeks which mixes all the different elements up. Basically you’ve got four different types of session: 1) Steady state run, 2) Interval/fartlek run, 3) CV Circuits, 4) Strength circuits. Every week should have five or six days worth of these, perhaps merging a couple of them together into one session i.e: CV circuits+run or Fartlek+strength circuits, etc.

Look at doing a mixture of different runs every week from short and quick- 3 miles or under, medium runs- 4- 5 miles good pace, up to 8-10 miles steady pace.
The main thing prmc is going to test is your CV and Aerobic, like other posters have said, keep the weight training down (not to say lose it all together though), instead work on structured, applicable circuits with press-ups, sit-ups, burpees, pull-ups and anything else that gets you knackered and gives you a chance to work on the muscles needed and practice correct form under pressure. Throw in some shuttle sprints (football pitches are best for this) and work up to doing these circuits in boots; this will prep you for the bottom field. You want to be doing 45-60 minutes on these circuits, perhaps plus a run before/after.
Top tip: when you’re doing your circuits/ press-ups/sit-ups, etc. instead of standing still when you’re ‘resting’, practise jogging on the spot as you will rarely stand still on the tests – it’s about keeping your heart-rate up – you are tested when you are already hanging out so simulate the push as much as you can.

Most important: REST DAYS, start with two rest days a week, work up to one, and then occasionally give yourself a full two days off.

I could go on for ever about this, and I’m afraid I haven’t bothered to browse the boards to see if I’m just repeating everything. If it hasn’t already, perhaps someone with knowledge of build up training, maybe a PTI or an interested sports science student could draw up a sticky thread that actually explains it all properly??

Good luck.

Jason.
MadAd

Training

Post by MadAd »

No its all good advice cheers guys. Did the bleep test on tuesday afternoon and got 9.5, which is very crap however at this stage its just practice rather than poor cardio. I could have gone on for much longer however just trying to get my rythem back!

I think your right about the running, i seem to do really good runs on monday tuesday and wednesday and then i fatigue on thursday and friday. E.g Calves ache and feel like lead weights. So ive adapted my workout and mixed it up abit with some sprint sessions and longer runs during the week as well as concentrating on 'marine' pressups and situps.

Monday: 4 mile run (best effort)

4 x pressups, situps, pullups to fail

40 and 20 m sprint sessions

Tuesday: 3 mile run (best effort)

Endurance/determination gym session

Wednesday: 5 mile gentle run

Bleep test straight into pressups and situps (2 min record)

Weights workout gym session

Thursday: Rest

Endurance/determination gym session

Friday: 3 mile run, 1.5 timed

4 x pressups, situps and pullups to fail

Rest

What were your workouts like before your PRMC??
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

Mine was something like this:

Monday - 3-miler hilly run
Tuesday - Upperbody workout (pressups, situps, pullups)
Wednesday - Sprint session on footy pitch for 20mins (1mile jog there and back)
Thursday - Upperbody workout
Friday - 3-miler best effort
Saturday - rest
Sunday - 6-miler fartlek & Upperbody workout

I think a lot of people are tempted to over-do it alot of the time because on paper it might not look like youre doing enough. But the above workout worked for me, and Im a particularly crap runner but on that training program it really improved my times within 2 months.

I was also doing boxing on a Monday night, but I stopped that after a while and just concentrated on the exercises needed for PRMC.
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!
MadAd

Training

Post by MadAd »

Yeh that sounds good too. Somtimes i think im overtraining in which case i will rest. At the moment my cardios good as is my sit-ups and pull-ups its my pressups that im gonna fail on!
ofens

Post by ofens »

its my pressups that im gonna fail on!
No you're not. Get to work on them mate!
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
MadAd

Training

Post by MadAd »

I have been. Since the beggining of this week i have been doing 4 sets of press-ups to fail in the afternoon and bench press etc just to get my chest up to scratch.

My stats are:

Pressups: 37 in 2 mins
Situps: 80 in 1.55 seconds
3 mile: best time 21:36
4 mile: best time 29:46
Pull-ups: 8 from fresh 6 after upperbody workout.

Gonna do the bleep test tommorrow and see how far i can get. will post scores up tommorrow.
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

Situp scores are very good. Press-ups arent bad but they will improve (make sure you have rest days between pressup workouts to allow decent recovery).

Also, make sure you test yourself every once in a while on your upper body scores when you are already pretty knackered (say after a fast 3-miler or bleep test). Dont forget on PRMC you go from doing the bleep test straight into doing your upper body tests.

Take confidence in your current scores though mate, they are dam good.
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!