Share This Page:

girlfriends while joining the corps

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
lodgi

girlfriends while joining the corps

Post by lodgi »

Hello all. I need some advice. I passed my PRMC last week and I am due to start training some time after July 10th. During my PRMC I missed my girlfriend a lot more than I thought I would. It's made me re-think if it's really what I want to do. We are very close and hope to get married and all the rest one day. Has anyone else joined the corp while in a serious relationship, and if so how did you get on?

I spoke to some of the lads in foundation and quite a lot seemed to have girlfriends, but they had only been there 3 weeks. And obviously after training deployments are 6 months. Is it possible to hold down a relationship while joining the corps?

Any advice would be appreciated.
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

Have you ever spent a few days without seeing her? Whats stopping you marrying her while in the corps? If she feels the same about you as you do her, then why would she want to do a runner on you?

Don't let anyone get in the way of your dreams. :wink:

edit: theres more to life than women, as the saying goes, and i agree fully.
"You all look like a bag of sh*t!"
Macca

Post by Macca »

Hi lodgi, I'm in exactly the same boat as you pal!!! I'm currently waiting to start RT on the 25th June and I'm in a really close relationship with my bird at the moment and plan on getting married at some point after training. We've talked to eachother about the future for example about me being away alot of the time when i join the corps but we have decided the only way to find out if it can work between us is for me to follow my dream of being a Marine and see if it works out. I really think it will be fine between us :D although i know it aint going to be easy.

On my PRMC we got alot of info about Recruits having girlfriends ect and they did tell us its best to be single down but that hasn't made me want to split up at all, all couples are different and cope to different sitiutions better than some.

If she's happy about you joining the corps and wants you to go for it aswel as stick with her then try it out mate :wink:

cheers

Macca
Shuttleworth

Post by Shuttleworth »

Having a bird during training is crap but some people seem to do ok and just get on with it. Everyones different...
Re-Join Date: 25th June 2007
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

If you're relationship and feeling for each other is strong enough then there won't be a problem. I'll be joining with a mrs and I know there won't be a problem, we've been through loads together in our 5 years and I plan to join for a career and do the distance in the Marines (provided once I start it's for me and I enjoy it of course).

In my opinion, if you're needing to ask this question then you're doubting whether or not you'll be able to make a go of it and might be best off talking to your girlfriend about your worries and thoughts on the matter.

At the end of the day though, no one on here will be able to tell you if you'll be fine or what your best option is, only you can make that decision.
Aways look on the bright side of life.
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Thanks for the replies lads. I've had a word with her and she seems a bit more OK with it. I'm guessing the first few weeks would be the hardest, it's not changed my mind about going down, just made me think a bit.
TheWedge

Re: girlfriends while joining the corps

Post by TheWedge »

lodgi wrote:During my PRMC I missed my girlfriend a lot more than I thought I would. It's made me re-think if it's really what I want to do. We are very close and hope to get married and all the rest one day.
If you miss your girlfriend after 3 days on PRMC then you would struggle to get through training and get a green lid from Lympstone. Some people do maintain relationships whilst in training but the majority of lads in my troop are single or they have birds and they just cheat on them, it's just the way it is. If you want to bond with your oppos then you have to go out with the lads at weekends and learn to make Lympstone your life for the duration of training. If you spend every night on the phone and go home at weekends to see your bird then training will be twice as worse as it is, and you don't want that. You have to look at what you are getting from each thing.

To be honest, if I had a girlfriend I was committed to and I loved then I would not have left her and joined the corps in the first place, but then I am older at 28. I am not saying you can't have a girlfriend in training, I am just saying not many people I know have them and if they do then they soon split because you are so busy you hardly get any time to go home at weekends and most people can't be bothered because they would rather be chilling with their oppos and getting smashed+laid at the weekend.

For me, starting training was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I gave up a lot to be here, including a girlfriend and a decent job offer as a software developer for IBM. If you have doubts then your heart is not in it anyway. You are obviously younger than me so you have plenty of time to think about things before you commit to the corps.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Wedge, can recruits stay down there when on Long Weekend Leave? I imagined everyone would have to go home? Do most stay down there?
Ste Preece

Girlfriends

Post by Ste Preece »

In reality if she loves you enough she'll wait an eternity. A bootneck oppo of mine who came back from Afganistan a while ago got married and his wife happily waited for him. Absence can make the heart grow fonder.

However, life isn't always a bed of roses. I recall my girlfriend when I applied to join the marines. She said: "Its either the marines or me."

Anyway: My heart was set on being a bootneck so off I went.

I saw her about 10 years later and she'd turned into a huge mama. So I guess I made the right decision. But hey, that's milk chocolate for you! :o :D

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

lodgi wrote:Wedge, can recruits stay down there when on Long Weekend Leave? I imagined everyone would have to go home? Do most stay down there?
Recruits can stay here on weekend leave, but are encouraged not to!.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
Felias

Post by Felias »

F*** her dump her. Lots more fish in the sea after training.
THinking about leaving already!
_chris

Post by _chris »

Felias wrote:F*** her dump her. Lots more fish in the sea after training.
Felias - the great romantic :lol:
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Felias wrote:F*** her dump her. Lots more fish in the sea after training.
You didn't read my message then? F*cking numpty :-?
jezb

Post by jezb »

You will know if your relationship can last, and whatever is meant to be is meant to be.

I'm married and starting RT soon. Its not a problem for me at all, not saying it won't be hard, but it will be worth it.
rt 10/09/2007
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Jezb, are you planning on moving into marriage quarters when you get to your unit? Whats the situation on marriage quarters? Is there a waiting list?