Share This Page:

Forces Pub ban in Exeter

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
bigdog

Forces Pub ban in Exeter

Post by bigdog »

I was wondering if any of the current nods had any thoughts on this? A lot of the pubs in Exeter a blanket ban on forces. There has apparently been some recent trouble between nods and a gang of football hooligans called the 'Sly Crew' This culminated in a group of recruits refusing to leave apub whilst a 'crew' of hooligans baited them from outside. There have been calls for MP patrols in Exeter, as there are in Exmouth, together with total bans on Nods going into Exeter. This whole escapade has caused a furore around exeter, being featured in the papers, both local and national and has caused a lot of debate. What is the nods eye view of all this?
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

When I was in RT just under a year ago, I didn't experience physical trouble personally (to be honest after week 6 I bearely went there although did get sneers and quiet jibes) but I know for a fact that lads in my troop and in others had "trouble" whilst in Exeter. You are not made to feel welcome as a Nod.
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

There has always been this tension, however it appears to have gone abit further this time, with nods being chased down the street, back to the station, and barricading themselves inside pubs.
Stix@CTC

Re: Forces Pub ban in Exeter

Post by Stix@CTC »

bigdog wrote:There have been calls for MP patrols in Exeter, as there are in Exmouth, together with total bans on Nods going into Exeter.
There are no patrols of any kind in Exmouth. There is however a total Nod ban in the town. This is to give the trained ranks a chance of trapping! :D
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

how can they tell who are nods? and why do they get so much sh*t?
_chris

Post by _chris »

Its like round here you can always tell who the matelots are I guess forces people just have a certain 'look', not all though but you can usually tell. No one round here gives um grief though :evil: .
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

They can tell they are nods because they look like nods. Same haircuts, same slightly bizarre clothes. They are not generally unpopular around here. Some people dont like them, the same as some people of Aldershot didnt like the Paras, some people of Chatham dont like the royal engineers. They get no more abuse than goths or whatever they call themselves now. However in this instance they seem to have upset some pretty dangerous people, and i was just interested in why this has escalated. The town seems pretty split as to who to support.
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

ah right. best thing to do is to just run then? instead of getting your head kicked in by footie hooligans.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Well, yes although bearing in mind that most troops have boxers, kick boxers, martial artists etc plus loads of pent up aggression from training.

Nods always tend to walk around in groups btw, shirt hair smart shoes etc you can tell.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

This friction has been going on for years, when i was a recruit back in 2003 this same 'crew' of football hooligans was mentioned to us in the very first week by our drill instructor. We were clearly and comprehnsively told to do as much as possible to walk away and defuse situations before they esculated, as the Corps these days cannot keep recruits who are due for court appearences and what not, whether they are in the worng or not unfortunuately.

At the end of the day regardless of how much they are taunting, you just have to look at their sad little lives and think is this really worth it? To be honest it isnt even close to being worth it. A few months down the line, you'll be off to a unit doing all sorts of things that you joined up for, and you'll never have to see them again, whilst they wilt away doing 9-5 jobs all their life trying to get kicks out of 'looking hard' by starting on usually the youngest recruits they can.

Hard as it may be, rise above it.
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

when i was down in exeter one night mate of mine was in the toilet and a sly crew member followed him in i was sat at a table with a few other lads from my troop , my mate got slashed in the arm and could of been alot worse if it wasnt for him nutting the guy , knocking him clean out . there was 8 of us and 4 of them but we didn't stay around to see if anymore would turn up . Absolute w*****s they are, ruin what is meant to be a good run ashore for us. Oh yeh and recruits are easily recognised in exter , i.e big packs , short hair , shoes , smart clothes , dont have a flipping clue where were going and always in ore at the amount of essence birds about.
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
803troop

Post by 803troop »

When I went in (Feb 01) we we told -

"Don't hang around in groups of more than 4 when out" - for the simple reason that's how many can get in a taxi.

we used to hang around Turks Head and Butlerz for the best part of shore leave. Some times Hogshead. Just kept our necks in. Exmouth os out of bounds.

Baz
maritime_marine

Post by maritime_marine »

I havent been in RT but when i went down to RT a Royal marine told me that there is always that kind of trouble. He said you have to go out in groups and never on your own. he also said that one of the main reasons is that the local lads dont like the nods coz all the girls go for them as they have plenty of money to spend on the night and the girls wont have to see them again.

I live in Dover, and untill recent we had the para troopers based here, and it was the same here they were banned from every pub in the town and the nearby town aswell.
RT 8th October
Second Place is the First Loser.
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

Interesting to note that it's the military folk that have been banned and not the football hooligan scumbags!
Aways look on the bright side of life.
_chris

Post by _chris »

Its easiest to single out the military people though isn't it, as a landlord you can just phone up the camp and tell them and then stick a sign a door saying 'no military'. Alot harder to try and single out the hooligans and ban them