Share This Page:

Hiya

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
MarkBunt

Hiya

Post by MarkBunt »

Long time since i come on here, as some of you know i have been training for RM... but my brother had an accident and me and my family been looking after him for past two onths but now heis on the mend i wanna get back to training.. i start running again yesterday and it went well but not as a good or as quick as i was which is understandable!

but running at the minute is not good, so i was thinking could i substitute running for swimming and still have the same affect but still run 1-2 time a week and swim 2-3?

Thanks for any help!
xcj

Post by xcj »

hi, obviously nothing is as good for improving running than actually running but there are a few things you can do to at least start yourself off - which will benefit you overall.

One is swimming and the other which i prefer is cycling. I was out a run the other day and noticed i felt a bit fresher after a cerain distance than i used to - but i've not been running at all recently, ive been cycling.

Theres quite a lot of steep roads etc round here and cycling up them is well worth it - even if just to fly back down them :lol:

I doubt swimming alone would be enough but to start off, you should see some sort of effect.
MarkBunt

Post by MarkBunt »

i was thinking 2-3 session of swimming and 2 run a week of about 3-5 miles?
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Run moe than that shin-splints allowing. Only swim if you have to. PRMC is just constant sprints mate.
MarkBunt

Post by MarkBunt »

ok mate.. so if i had an extra couple of runs... but does swimming only take your fitness so far to speak.. and then running to do the rest?
_chris

Post by _chris »

Swimming can improve your CV fitness just as much as running, or though you may find you need to push harder. But there are running specific muscles it won't develop. You need stronger abs etc. for balance while running, these won't get worked while swimming because you're fully supported. You can do focused training for each of the muscle groups needed for running but it would be very difficult to truely target them all the same, where as running will just naturally workt them all.

Swimmings still a useful excercise for use on recovery days as it still works you CV wise, but can't really replace running for running training.
MarkBunt

Post by MarkBunt »

_chris wrote:Swimming can improve your CV fitness just as much as running, or though you may find you need to push harder. But there are running specific muscles it won't develop. You need stronger abs etc. for balance while running, these won't get worked while swimming because you're fully supported. You can do focused training for each of the muscle groups needed for running but it would be very difficult to truely target them all the same, where as running will just naturally workt them all.

Swimmings still a useful excercise for use on recovery days as it still works you CV wise, but can't really replace running for running training.
Cheers mate, so swimming a couple times and running alot more
_chris

Post by _chris »

Yeah I would, if you've got a really killer running session then swimming the next day will still work you CV wise but help rest your muscles, and stretch them out aswell. Still have at least one full rest day a week, so 4/5 runs and 1/2 swims a week sort of thing would be my advice.
MarkBunt

Post by MarkBunt »

cheers for ya help mate!
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

_chris wrote:Yeah I would, if you've got a really killer running session then swimming the next day will still work you CV wise but help rest your muscles, and stretch them out aswell. Still have at least one full rest day a week, so 4/5 runs and 1/2 swims a week sort of thing would be my advice.
Yeh I agree. Mix the type of runs up as well. Do one long slow paced to train the muscles for endurance and obviously some shorter faster paced ones 5 milers I always liked at bout 8min/mile pace.
Practice the 1.5 best time every few weeks and also the bleep test.
TheWedge

Re: Hiya

Post by TheWedge »

MarkBunt wrote:Subject: Hiya
Sorry Mark but that is a well beef thread title.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!