Share This Page:

Iran Released Navy Personnel

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
hobbsy

Iran Released Navy Personnel

Post by hobbsy »

Just heard on the news that the 15 royal navy personnel have been realsed and are on their way home :D
- First Interview/Chat - 'Good potential candidate' - March
-Psychometric Tests - Passed - March
-Interview - Passed - 20/03/07
-Eye Test - Passed (Grade 1 Vision) - 03/04/07
-Medical - Passed - 3/04/07
-PJFT - In a while
-PRMC - In a while
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

This is a discussion forum not a newswire :)
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

I'm kinda dissapointed to be honest.. was waitin for the news that they were rescued with guns blazing, but oh well beggers can't be choosers...

and by beggers, i do mean that as that is what we have essentially been reduced to.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Who gives a f@#k they are coming home in one piece that is all I am worried about.

Just shows what a w@#k that guy from the US paper was, yeah "lets take 15 of theirs as well" and start killing them off one by one... knob :evil:
chris_

Post by chris_ »

misterpurple wrote:I'm kinda dissapointed to be honest.. was waitin for the news that they were rescued with guns blazing, but oh well beggers can't be choosers...

and by beggers, i do mean that as that is what we have essentially been reduced to.
interesting.

would you volunteer to walk into the capital of iran in a time when british people are pretty hated, carrying some sort of personal weapon, blow a massive hole in where they are being held, walk in, kill the 200 guards that are likely to be guarding the area, release the 15 people, and then battle your way out to the middle of a desert or (more likely) the sea, with 15 people, some of who would not be capable of running for hours on end to escape the large party of people now trying to catch you and get the prisoners back.

a large scale attack to rescue them would be pretty out of the question, as britaina over stretched without fighting an all out war with iran.
the captives were probably the most important assets the iranian military had for a while, so they were probably not kept in a police cell with one drunk old man and a dog guarding them.
special force involvement is pretty much the same, except they have a small chance of suceeding (we didnt even have a firm idea of where they were being kept apparently), and if they did rescue them, iran would still go apeshit at britain for rescuing them. it wouldnt take a genuis to work out that it was uk involvement that got them released, and it would play into irans "britain is spying on us" routine.

any military action would probably have pissed iran off big time, and the last think we wanted is for them to start saying "f@#k off, and stop attacking or we will shoot all 15"

the prisoners probably had a rough time as it is. people rarely confess to things they didnt do unless in a decent amount of fear or duress.

for all we knew they could have been beaten black and blue on the arms legs torso back and feet.
the priority had be getting them back quickly and safely. military action or similar tactics would not be recieved well by iran.
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

mfat_man wrote:Who gives a f@#k they are coming home in one piece that is all I am worried about.

Just shows what a w@#k that guy from the US paper was, yeah "lets take 15 of theirs as well" and start killing them off one by one... knob :evil:
Sums it up for me, John. I am very relieved by this development.
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

any military action would probably have pissed iran off big time, and the last think we wanted is for them to start saying "f@#k off, and stop attacking or we will shoot all 15"
whatever happened to refusing to negotiate with terrorists? i would have said return them in 48 hours or there'll be a penalty.

either way, they're coming home - but we have definitely lost face.
Artist

Post by Artist »

TheWedge wrote:This is a discussion forum not a newswire :)
It's also a place where we talk about the Royal Marines, training, serving or whatever. And as seven of them released were Bootnecks I for one am quite happy for people to post this sort of stuff mainly because it's the first I've heard of it since coming home from a day messing about with a sketch pad and camera in the wilds of Cheshire.

Artist
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

well said artist. :D
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
got1

Post by got1 »

[quote="misterpurple"][quote]any military action would probably have pissed iran off big time, and the last think we wanted is for them to start saying "f@#k off, and stop attacking or we will shoot all 15" [/quote]

whatever happened to refusing to negotiate with terrorists? i would have said return them in 48 hours or there'll be a penalty.

either way, they're coming home - but we have definitely lost face.[/quote]

Bolloxs.
One line avoidence thingy.
xcj

Post by xcj »

glad to see they're all on their way home.

who knows what went on behind the scenes, but at the minute... who cares.
Ste Preece

Humour

Post by Ste Preece »

Come on men, don't lose your sense of humour. They're coming home and that's great news for the families. :)

You have to ask yourself, was it ever going to end any other way or were the risks too great for IRAN. Sanctions rip countries to peices and also Britains Military might is not a Force to be messed with.

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
jonno2006

Post by jonno2006 »

dead chuffed to see them all on their way home! i love the way president mahmoud ahmadinejad returned the servicemen/woman as a "gift to the british" haha.

jonno
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

TheWedge wrote:This is a discussion forum not a newswire :)
Thats right, you tell em :lol: :wink:

Its all good news. Got in from work and flicked on the t.v to see if i could catch a glimpse and i did. Can't help but think Iran weren't taking the p i s s though - as they usually do.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I am well chuffed that they are going home.
However,
Britain has lost face.
The US now has to look over it's shoulder regarding British ROE.
Iran got exactly what it wanted,Along with some equipment.

Doesn't bode well for future British op's in the Persian Gulf.