Share This Page:

Long time, no see

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
rgj-rifleman

Long time, no see

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Hey there fellas, have easter leave so thought id give you a heads up on how its going,

its hard, not much sleep, lots of being messed about, lots of phys, ultimate satisfaction for wearing only the recruits beret!! However hard it is its all worth it, just stick with it no matter what.

The lads are great, you get the highs and lows, but you generally gel together, very different from territorials, you might as well not bother being in the TA if im honest as it just doesnt compare at all. Gives a small insight, but not much.

Was a bit of a biff in the beginning but ive managed to bring that around and am now an IC, which is hoofing.

Ive done so far, ex first step, early knight, quick cover and marshal star, when i get back i have hunters moon :oops:

Wet and dry is especially fun in that weather, -0 and all that good stuff, (my oppos mess tin water froze over whist he was shaving it was that cold)

My troop has already had its gym passout a week early and its drill passout 3-5 weeks early, so we arent a bad troop really.

Guys, feel free to take your psp, dvd players and everything you like, because they will definetly be safe, because they are always locked away in your locker because you never get a chance to use them. You do but very VERY little.

Dont bother buying bungees, and gouchy zippo lighters you wont use them, you can get cheapy lighters for 10p and you get issued bungees, one thing you will need plenty of is, small, medium and large freezer bags in the hundreds.

Very important you bring plenty of them because they are very expensive at the naffi.

Its very much a work hard play hard environment, you live for the weekends.

Lads if there is anything anybody would like to know about training then im more than happy to help out.

Your own,

RGJ-Rifleman

(p.s, really wish i could change my user name, not rgj now am i lol :wink: )

pps. hope you are all well and that your prmc's will be passed!!!
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Its very much a work hard play hard environment, you live for the weekends.
What sort of things do you do on the weekend?
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

how can you be an IC already, you don't get them until week 15. not to gel on your parade there.
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

Hankins wrote:how can you be an IC already, you don't get them until week 15. not to gel on your parade there.
That was going to be my comment too...?

Which troop are you in - 938?

Greg.
Never chop wood in a rubber dinghy.
jonno2006

Post by jonno2006 »

hayward!!! :D glad to hear all is well matey! will give you a ring during your easter leave!

jonno
TheWedge

Re: Long time, no see

Post by TheWedge »

rgj-rifleman wrote:am now an IC, which is hoofing.
Sod off to that.

On a more serious note dude, what troop are you? I am sure you are the troop that has Botswanan luke in it, a mate of mine. You are not the troop that is not allowed to wear berets I take it.

I will be doing a post soon, I am in week 15 after leave and have baptist run to complete, fingers crossed. Good luck with RT and get used to wet and dry, we have had to do wet and dry on every exercise so far so it is just a matter of taking it on the chin. We had two guys throw up and one sent to Exeter hospital with an infection after exercise running man!, how we love wet and dry!
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

Good to know your doing well mate, and answer your bloody fone!! :lol:
yet_mae

Post by yet_mae »

Good lad rgj, was wonderin' when you were gonna post as hadn't see ya for time.

Sounds like things are goin' pretty well 'ey?

Whatever ya do don't give up or you'll regret it forever, I know how much ya wanted to do it so think of people like me who can't even get past the shitty medical for an absolute pathetic reason.

Keep goin' mate, summer is rollin' on now so at least it won't be so f*ckin cold in the mornings and late at night. Then again you will be chaffin soon with the sticky weather. haha

Good luck mate, you'll be fine.
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Nice one RGJ. I just wondered how much road running theres been and how you've been finding it.
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

IC, as in a room IC :roll:

course you can because i am one.

I keep the lads in my room in shape and make sure everything gets done.

Sod off to that, ok if thats your input but its a fact 8)

Cheers for the 'positive' feedback though lads lol.

On the weekends you basically go 'trapping' looking for the ladies, and getting smashed, its rather an interesting turn around. Its great fun. :)
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

Good work RGJ.. you have my number mate, give us a call

- Andy
Just Lie back and think of England.

AFCO 17 - Oct [b]Here I come![/b]
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Can someone please tell me what wet and dry is?
yet_mae

Post by yet_mae »

I think it's when on exercise they wear their dry clothes to sleep in to prevent getting too cold and to stop hypothermia, and then get back into the wet horrible dirty clothes the next day and continue the exercise.

I could be completley wrong though but I remember when my mate did his RT nearly 2 years ago and i'm sure that's what he said.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Euro, f*** all that neg bollocks fella good effort down at Lympstone and thanks for the feedback :)
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

yet_mae wrote:I think it's when on exercise they wear their dry clothes to sleep in to prevent getting too cold and to stop hypothermia, and then get back into the wet horrible dirty clothes the next day and continue the exercise.
Then training team dunks you in Peters' pool in week 5 on exerise "and utterely drenched. You then get changed