Share This Page:

pjft announcement

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

"I think you will find there are a fair amount of people who get around 9.30 on the PJFT but who still fail PRMC"

Agreed. There was this lad on my PRMC who beat me on the run... getting like 9 mins flat. But only managed 8 press ups, and gave up on the practise run of the assault course. No will to succeed or upper body strength.

I think the PJFT should include some upper body exercise aswell, since It's there to test your basic level of fitness... Something like the minimums, 30 sit ups, 3 pull ups, 20 press ups.

What do you lot think?
Roll off...?
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

I think its a good thing they have brought the time down, when I did it last I got 9:42, but was given 20 or 30 secs for the treadmill to catch up to speed (kept it on 14.2kph) before he started timing, so realistically I would have got over 10mins, wasnt ready for my prmc run. Now I can leave it on about 15kph and get on the good side of 9mins with the 20/30secs headstart, about 9:40 without and am definatly ready for the prmc run.
pushups/situps would be good, but only if everybody does it to the same standard (prmc style).
Edited for mistake.
Last edited by cruicent on Fri 30 Mar, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only time you should start worrying about a soldier is when they stop bitchin'."
Congrats 946Trp
Chris_Manchester

Post by Chris_Manchester »

problem is i found running on a treadmill 10x harder than running normally. i got 10.22 on my PJFT yet i can run 1.5 miles on the road in under 9.30 minutes and can run 3 miles in 20 odd. I think the PJFT should be done on a track or even on RMAD, when do the Marines need to run on treadmills in real life action?
FPGRM
S Squadron
jezb

Post by jezb »

Chris_Manchester wrote:problem is i found running on a treadmill 10x harder than running normally. i got 10.22 on my PJFT yet i can run 1.5 miles on the road in under 9.30 minutes and can run 3 miles in 20 odd. I think the PJFT should be done on a track or even on RMAD, when do the Marines need to run on treadmills in real life action?
Agree with the treadmill part. The only good thing about it being in the gym & on a treadmill is that the conditions are virtually the same for everyone.

I would much rather it was run on a track or on the road.
rt 10/09/2007
johnnyValencia

Post by johnnyValencia »

I was at the career office today, the guys there told me the treadmill time is now done at 10 minutes, its because alot of people were failing the the PJFT which is suppose to be easy, so they want to make sure that guys can hack the running for the 3 miler and all the sprints that go on in PRMC. He all so told me that the 3miler is done at 1.5miles in 12:30 squaded and 9:30 the rest of the way.
Chris_Manchester

Post by Chris_Manchester »

i just dont think that the current PJFT is a test of whether you could complete the PRMC 3 mile, granted my PRMC isn't untill 24th April so i havent actually completed it yet. but running longer distances of say 4-5 miles feels nothing like how knackered i was after the PJFT. I think i just have a mental block (and hate) of treadmills lol. All i know is i had to dig deep to complete the PJFT yet found RMAD 3 mile and other runs much easier.
FPGRM
S Squadron
smudger289

Post by smudger289 »

supposed to have mine on tusday but i think il put it back, il see how i go on at the gym in these next few days,

does anybody use a techique where they go high low high low high low etc in regards to speed, eg, 14.0kph-16.kph-13.0kph-15.0kph etc?
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

"i just dont think that the current PJFT is a test of whether you could complete the PRMC 3 mile"

What other option do they have? It may not be the best indication of your fitness level, but they have to keep it fair etc, so it can't be done outside due to too many variables. Even on a running track, weather conditions would have to be taken in to account.

And yes... I know the three mile run is done outside at PRMC regardless of wind, snow etc
Roll off...?
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

Actually... thought of another option. What about a bleep test? Or gym test one?

Just do it in a sports hall...
Roll off...?
chris5818

Re: pjft announcement

Post by chris5818 »

cruicent wrote:Turns out I have to re-do my pjft and just letting you guys know the times have changed from 10:45 to 10:00.
How come you have to do it again anyway mate? has it been over a year since your last PJFT?
PJFT: June o6 - 9.07
PRMC: Passed December 07
RT: February 08
TT

Post by TT »

I wouldn't take anything from the PJFT, just look on it as another section of the joining process squared away.

You'll all pass PRMC if you really want to fellas, just have some self confidence. As Dwarfy said, some guys get poor times because they're not runners, no great shakes because PRMC is the real test that needs to be passed. Do that and you're in regardless of your PJFT time.

As for your 3 miler, if you can't do it then don't go for PRMC. Personally i thought it was the easiest section in the course because I knew I could do it and it didn't phase me. Some guys psyche themselves out over it, it's just 3 miles - finish it and you get a crack at RT, that's a massive inscentive.

You can control this section of the course, you know what to expect and you can prepare for it. If you know you can do it you'll be much happier about the course as a whole. Conversley bottom field is out of your hands and you just have to keep going, that's harder especially when you're hanging out because there is no real preparation for this - it's your will that's tested. Just make sure you want it.

Anyway, just my take on things

good luck fellas
cruicent

Re: pjft announcement

Post by cruicent »

chris5818 wrote:
cruicent wrote:Turns out I have to re-do my pjft and just letting you guys know the times have changed from 10:45 to 10:00.
How come you have to do it again anyway mate? has it been over a year since your last PJFT?
yep, been over a year. Just had my medical again aswell today. 10mins isnt hard its just I hate running on the treadmill. Been told Im built like a runner but def aint one. The pjft is the fastest way for the services to test your fitness and a faster time keeps out the ones who are more likely to fail the 3 mile run and not waste time and money.
"The only time you should start worrying about a soldier is when they stop bitchin'."
Congrats 946Trp
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

I dont know what i think about this. 10:30 or even 10:00 is a slow time to run a mile and a half, ecspecially on a treadmill where your not even really running. However they dont seem to have much choice, the tests have to be done somewhere safe with minimal supervision, otherwise it would cost just as much to scrap it and send everyone to Lympstone. Once you start doing road runs or track runs you have to start getting PTI's and dealing with safety and things and I think thats just too much for the AFCO's to do for every applicant.
I do agree with dwarfy though that they should not tighten the time too much. Its not really a great fitness indicator and you can be fit but have a slow time. I know a guy who does his mile and a half in 7:10 or thereabouts but he is simply a very speedy guy. Needless to say he struggles a bit at the tabbing, and is also not particullarly great at the fizz required for OBUA etc. Conversely plenty of bigger guys are a bit gash at the mile and a half but can tab for england.
I personally think the 3 miler is a better test as you have to be fit for that, not just quick. Obvioulsy it is logistically impossible to make people do this before you send them down to Lympstone though.
smudger289

Post by smudger289 »

just gunna bump my question so here goes...

does this add up,

basicaly im trying to make it bang on 10mins

would this add up

13.5kph/5mins=1125m
15.0kph/2.5mins=625m
15.6/2.5mins=650m

obviosly depending on the time it takes to adjust to each speed and build up etc, its just that i find it hard to plod along on a treadmill at one constant speed,

and bear in mind before you post im not looking for a cracking time just the tick in the box will do for me, and no im not shying away from hard work lol cheers :wink:
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .
cruicent

Post by cruicent »

You dont want it bang on 10 mins for you pfjt, you dont want to end up missing it by a sec or two. I just leave it on 15 kph but at the end it says it averaged 14.8kph, and that gets me about 9:40 (made a mistake on my other post so edited it). If its hard, just practice but your better off not fiddling with the pace.
Congrats 946Trp