Share This Page:

NFA MED - Medically withdrawn

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
JCAP3

NFA MED - Medically withdrawn

Post by JCAP3 »

Hi

Yep, i'v been medically withdrawn due to a lower back problem that returned from a while ago.

Gutted, though im glad it happend now than week 21 for example- i'm planning on getting back there soon but have been considering the Officer route again.

I was withdrawn at the end of week 2 so ask any questions about it and ill do my best to answer them.
Last edited by JCAP3 on Wed 21 Mar, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15310][b]My PRMC Diary[/b][/url]
jamie534

Post by jamie534 »

That sucks man :( how long 'til you can reapply?
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

6 months i was told, though maybe longer if my back screws me about.
[url=http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15310][b]My PRMC Diary[/b][/url]
yet_mae

Post by yet_mae »

Shit, that's well bad, if I ever get in or near a doctor i'm not even gonna mention it, seen too many people from here MD.

And even by telling the medical officer before prmc is risky if you got an injury, i'm just keeping my mouth well and truly closed to any of these quacks. It is obviously important to tell them but if I see it leading to a MD I would try my hardest to pretend i'm fighting fit.

Unlucky mate, feel bad for ya.

What happened to your back? You been carrying heavy loads 2 weeks in? :o
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Although I would advise you speak up regarding an injury, yet mae makes a good point. Knee and Back problems are considered the most troublesome injuries in the RM. Mention either of them, and all of a sudden they don't want anything to do with you.

Feel for you JCAP. I don't think anyone believed me when I told them, "I will get the better of my back". However, if I believe I will, then that's all that matters.

Chin up mate :wink:
fodd

Post by fodd »

yet_mae
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:16 pm Post subject:
Shit, that's well bad, if I ever get in or near a doctor i'm not even gonna mention it, seen too many people from here MD.

And even by telling the medical officer before prmc is risky if you got an injury, i'm just keeping my mouth well and truly closed to any of these quacks. It is obviously important to tell them but if I see it leading to a MD I would try my hardest to pretend i'm fighting fit.

Unlucky mate, feel bad for ya.

What happened to your back? You been carrying heavy loads 2 weeks in?
I DID that mate i ended up injured for over 2 years i hid a fracture from them for 4 weeks
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
yet_mae

Post by yet_mae »

Obviously we should draw a line with our injuries of when we should and shouldn't speak up, i'd just be way too worried about getting binned.

Some injuries will be worse than others and have more potential for getting worse too, like shin splints and so on.

Sorry JCAP, if it's what you want, there's no doubt you'll be back there again mate, slowly but surley though, just don't do too much at once.

Good luck!
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Cheers lads. I was pissing about in a gym with weight on my back while doing pull-ups. I dropped off stupidly and it did some serious damage. That was about March last year.

I didn't really do anything too massive for the pain to come back, the rope climbing started it off again (i landed badly). Now i have constant pins and needles in my right leg and can't feel some of my toes :evil:

I knew that if i kept it quiet it would do some serious long-term damage. 9 months wasted, and a crippled marine :wink: 100% bloody useless.

KanedaRMC: Theres basically 99% admin, the first week is spent ironing/cleaning from the moment you wake up until you agree to goto bed at 12pm. Literally the only time you get to think to yourself is when you are lying in bed, but before you know it you've passed out and the bloody alarm goes again and you're rushing to the showers alongside 50 other blokes - the best advice i can give for the admin is not to panic about it (i did). One moment you're thinking that there aint enough hours in the day to get through all the admin/A4'ing that you have to do before inspection the next morning and the next moment you've just had about 10 other jobs to do stacked on you.

Also, make sure you label EVERYTHING that you are given, even if you have to put paper tape over all of it to make it clear that its yours. Most of the lads were having stuff taken because some other bloke had lost his towel/pooch/poncho/etc because it wasnt labled. Make sure you label your towels especially as you'll likely lose one (like i did). Don't be tempted to throw everything into your locker when you have all your kit issued as you'll need to know where it all is when you are given about 20 secs to run to your locker and get something.

The phys comes thick and fast, rope climbing / swimming / sprinting / camp circuits / 3 miler.

I can't stress enough the importance of learning how to iron before going to ctc otherwise you'll end up very stressed and having to rely on the other lads to help square your shit away. Also get hold of a globe and laurel and practice A4'ing your clothes!

I was offered hunter troop but i wasn't prepared to spend months there and eventually be told it was hopeless anyway.
jonno2006

Post by jonno2006 »

damn. im gutted for you mate, but like you said, at least it happened now and not further on into RT.
whats the plan of action with sorting the back out? im seriously looking at postponing my PRMC due to a bad lower back and sore ankle... effing typical huh.
anyways, chin up and keep us posted!

jonno
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

kanedaRMC wrote:What was you doing the first week mate? mainly moderate level PT with a bit of admin and settling in? thats my guess! :P
So JCAP3 is obviously very unhappy at having to jack and you have to give one of your smug answers and smilies... give it a rest you numpty that is not what is required.

JCAP3, sorry to hear about your injury mate, keep your chin up and all the best with your next attempt.
Iles

Post by Iles »

JCAP3 wrote:
I was offered hunter troop but i wasn't prepared to spend months there and eventually be told it was hopeless anyway.
How long did they say you'd be in hunter for?

Was it really not worth staying?

Unlucky JCAP3 I hope you manage to get it sorted and get back down there.

Best of luck, Matt
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

awww im real sorry to hear that mate but yano chin up . Im in the same position got nfa med not too long into training about half a year back , we'll both be back in soon enough if we want it bad enough matey.
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

I wasn't given an exact time for how long i'd be in hunter but it was hinted that it might be a long time as anything to do with the lower back is serious. I hadn't even started load carrying so who knows how long i'd have to wait. Theres in lad in hunter called the "nod father" (i think he had back problems too) who has been there for 3 years. I'd rather be around my family if the eventual verdict is bad news.