Share This Page:

very early start

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
twig

very early start

Post by twig »

hi i a new member but have done all the research and would like to know anybodies views on getting a very early start in training for the prmc, i am planning to do A* levels before i apply and will give me 2 years or so, i need to bulk up in weight and muscle so does anybody have tips, advice, opinions or just general comments ( before anybody comments yes i do know exactly what is involved, i have done my homework and am highly dedicated to joining the RM but in the mean time am in RMCD)

thanks for all replies in advance
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

I would have thought you would get alot of helpful tips in the RMCD. 2 years means you have got plenty of time to find out what training methods suit you, see what works and what you believe doesn't, which is a big bonus. As for bulking, increased calorie intake combined with weight training will build solid mass. Best tip I can give you for bulking is to be patient. A good guideline to follow is to try and make atleast 2-4lbs every week.
twig

Post by twig »

thanks for the help, will try taking in plenty of carbs and calories aswell as finding some circuits that work for me. what sorts of food would you reccomend for building mass as detailed?
xcj

Post by xcj »

for bulking up, don't just do the easy thing and pile all the sh*te of the day down ur neck. Yes you'll gain weight, but it'll be the wrong kind of weight. You have plenty of time to balance it out and gain the lean muscle mass you want, rather than lumps of lard.
In_Training

Post by In_Training »

erm protein is quite good for helping you to buil muscle - but this must obviously be combined with a resistance programme - otherwise your just going to get a little bit fatter

But just remember the only weight you need to be able to shift is your own. yes you will have to run with kit in training but they will teach you how to do that at CTC. in the mean time concentrate on body weight exercises.

Go to the gym by all means, but make sure you are working the necessary muscle groups, and also in the correct way. By this I mean - you want to build effective 'endurance' strength, as opposed to being able to one rep max out 120K!!

Think about it, if you spend two years building huge beach muscles its only going to mean you have more weight to shift when running etc.

Anyways, sounds like you know what your doing so good luck!!

Thanks,

Oh and just out of interest, what are your current stats??
e.g.
3 mile.
press ups
pull ups
etc
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Stay away from fast food empty calories will increase your mass aswell as your waistline. High carb diet is the key. Try to eat 5 quality meals a day, and exercise regularly. No sugary drinks or sweets, only proper food. I hold a good deal of knowledge bulking phases. I will PM you some details.
xcj

Post by xcj »

Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a popper. If you can, then eat little but often as opposed to lots 3 times a day however in reality this is hard to do for most people.

these are rough guidelines a nutritionist told me recently.
Iles

Post by Iles »

For bulking up you need a program hitting about a 8-12 rep range and 3-4 sets per exercise. Try to stick to compound exercises to start with such as, bench press, squats and deadlifts. However, as with all training these exercises can be very dangerous so get a gym instructor etc to show you the correct technique.
Unless you are really skinny however, i wouldn't recommend bulking up drastically (spelling) as there isn't much need. I left the marine cadets a couple of years ago for various reasons and started playing rugby again and put on a lot of muscle mass due to weight training, with a year and a bit left of my A-levels i've started training for the RM again and struggle with press-ups a bit due to bulking up and not increasing my endurance with it. Just my words of advice from my experience and some science.

:D
Best of luck, Matt
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Check PM twig
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

If you've got a long time like you have, I'd say definately take it easy and build up slowly. If I was you i'd go running 2 or maximum of 3 times a week or you'll get bored with it. Also, with it being so long before you'll be trying for PRMC, it can be hard to motivate yourself so keep the number of runs down.
In_Training

Post by In_Training »

Also remember that your body doesn't stop developing until your late teens (which is why most gyms wont allow the use of weights until you are 16) because over training can stunt growth / body (muscle & bone) development.

Im 20 and just last week my doc told me that I was still growing and i'm already 6'2"!!!!!

So like the others have said, take it easy - because if you don't you will end up injuring yourself... like I have, now I walk like a gerriatric and can't do any exercise until i'm healed!!!

Cheers,
carfraec

Post by carfraec »

Hey Twig

I'm a little bit younger than you and also keen on joining the marines.

One of the hardest parts will be when you get a high level of fitness and then keeping it that way. If you loose motivation i have found that looking at what your goals again really helps. If you need to take a rest and review how it's going thats fine. Also, this website is an absaloute gem to keep you motivated.
I'm not very expirienced but i know that the things i have said above have worked well for me.. Enjoy your fitness and dont let it be a chore
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

For the last time, weights do NOT stunt your growth.
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

Theres loads of articles floating around confirming what ADDiction said, just google.
"The only time you should start worrying about a soldier is when they stop bitchin'."
Congrats 946Trp
Justypin

Post by Justypin »

Yes they do. "There have been several studies conducted on teen weight lifting that suggest that certain types of weight lifting may damage the epiphysis, or growth plate, of your bones. There is evidence that lifting heavy weight could speed up growth plate closure, which would stunt your growth."