Share This Page:

bow training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Iles

Post by Iles »

batess01 wrote:I dont think weights is a "DANGEROUS" thing to do at the age of 15. I have done weights for about 2 years, went from 40kg to 70+kg in 2 years, and can still run, jump, and do all the bodyweight stuff, i started weights when i was 15, and found it was A GREAT way to make me fitter, faster, stronger and more powerfull. I would, at your age, go as far to say i would RECCOMEND IT to you. Dont overdo it obviously, lift 3 times a week for an hour or so. Keep your running up and stay profficient with bodyweight exercises.
Weights ARE dangerous to growth and development of bone structure at 15. 16 is the recommended MINIMUM age although that is still very young ( I did it though so it's kinda hypocritical) There is no need for the weights mate just stick with the body weight exercises and maybe look at doing some plyometrics tey are great for power.
All the best, Matt
batess01 wrote:went from 40kg to 70+kg .
Jesus :o thats light how old were you?
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Teenagers can use weights as early as 13, depending on their development. They must be supervised and are encouraged to educate themselves and ultimately enjoy it. Only very light weights should be used, and reps should be performed at low intensity. Obviously alot of exercises are out of the question at that age(Romanian deadlift springs to mind, dear God no no no) but their is no evidence to suggest weight lifting stunts growth. Ultimately why a boy of 13 or indeed 15 would feel the need to use weights is beyond any of us anyway. Bodyweight exercises are much safer and easily accesible.
rc

Post by rc »

Iles wrote: Weights ARE dangerous to growth and development of bone structure at 15. 16 is the recommended MINIMUM age although that is still very young ( I did it though so it's kinda hypocritical) There is no need for the weights mate just stick with the body weight exercises and maybe look at doing some plyometrics tey are great for power.
We have had this debate before.
Weights aren't "dangerous to growth and development".
Weight training at any age with a lack of knowledge can be dangerous.
I would be more concerned about the use of plyometrics with a limited backround in training than weights.

Rich.
Iles

Post by Iles »

rc wrote: Weight training at a young age with a lack of knowledge can be dangerous.
I would be more concerned about the use of plyometrics with a limited backround in training than weights.

Rich.
Fair enough, I agree on both points especially with my suggestion of plyometrics with little knowledge and any training background could be very harmful. However, the same with most training could be taught and used very effectively but you are correct in saying it could be dangerous.
I've always been lead to believe that weight training at a young age is detrimental to growth. However, I have just (albeit briefly) looked up this subject in a but more depth and it does seem that supervised strength training could be Ok at much younger ages. So I apoligise for posting possibly incorrect information, OK rc :lol:
edit: didn't make sense
Artist

Post by Artist »

If you stick to light reps with weights you should have no problems what so ever. Just don't load up the bar with to much or your going to discover the joys of a slipped disc, a hernia or worse torn ligaments and muscles.

I got to thinking about what I was like before I joined. My Pop was a PTI in the RAF so from the age of 13 I was a regular visitor to whatever gym he was working in. So I did quite a lot of phizz as a lad. Fencing, Squash, Badmington, Basketball, Trampoleening ought I fancied doing in point of fact. I also loved putting on a rucksack and bimbling all over the place with me Pop when he took the RAF trainees during their adventure training phase's at RAF Coxford. Did the Devises and Westminister canoe race a couple of times once I was old enough to take part.

So all in all I considered myself to be pretty fit when I joined the Corp........After three days in the Corp I could hardly get out of bed as every part of my body ached. The same went for the rest of my Troop! :D

Do a bit of everything, running, weight training, Gym work, stamina building stuff like grid sprints and once it becomes easy move your standards up a notch. When it gets easy again then move it up another notch and so on. This way your fitness will increase as will your mindset.

As far as i'm concerned far to many people talk the talk but crash and burn when they go to CTC for their PRMC mostly because they have concentrated on one area of fitness to the detriment of the other areas. Also as I've said loads of times before it's whats between your Lugholes that counts as the PTI's and other bods will also note your mindset as well.

Artist
rc

Post by rc »

I've always been lead to believe that weight training at a young age is detrimental to growth. However, I have just (albeit briefly) looked up this subject in a but more depth and it does seem that supervised strength training could be Ok at much younger ages. So I apoligise for posting possibly incorrect information, OK rc
No worries mate !!!
It's a common misconception.

Rich.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

dwarfy wrote:Scores, times, 3 miler's, 6 milers' press ups, whatever.

The FACT is you could turn up at CTC for RT with the just the bare minimum scores and fitness to have passed PRMC but still leave your with your Green Lid or alternatively you could turn up with some of the highest scores and fitness and wrap.

It really isnt the be all and end all, far from it.
Farkin spot on Dwarfy.
chrisaryee

Post by chrisaryee »

Have you guys considered RMR Holding troop? The RMR base is in Bermondsey, just down the road from you guys. Maybe you should make it there one wednesday night. You'll go through a typical phys session with a PTI, and that would give you a very good idea what to expect during RTand how much work you may need to do.
Artist

Post by Artist »

chrisaryee wrote:Have you guys considered RMR Holding troop? The RMR base is in Bermondsey, just down the road from you guys. Maybe you should make it there one wednesday night. You'll go through a typical phys session with a PTI, and that would give you a very good idea what to expect during RTand how much work you may need to do.
Nice one! Also a lot of former Bootnecks tend to join the RMR once they have left the regulars cos they miss the crack. So there will be a large font of information ready and more than willing to give advice and spin some cracking dits about the Regulars if you ask them. This applies all over the country by the way lads. There are quite a few RMR dets dotted all over the place so why not pay your local RMR Det a visit? The address will be in your local yellow pages, or just Google it.

Artist