Share This Page:

People think the Marines are a joke.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
pushupfred

People think the Marines are a joke.

Post by pushupfred »

Just been having a conversation with someone about Royal Marines, and this is what he said:

press-ups (minimum 20, up to 60 in 2 minutes);
sit-ups (minimum 30, up to 80 in 2 minutes); and
pull-ups - overgrasp on a wooden beam (minimum 3, up to 6).

i could nail all of those at the "maximum" in short succession haha!

Then he went on to say:

the funny thing is though

that every person who has tried for the marines I know

have been generally annoying macho c@#t

generally thick as two short planks

and very boastful

just saying

generally c@#t

Then he goes onto say:

Bah most ex military people are the same

annoy the crap out of me

which is a shame

heh a lot of army fitness programs arent custom to the individual

and often arent specific to what they must do

any old "coach" can exhaust someone

heh just something I keep in mind I guess

What is it with these peoples attitudes towards the military and specifically Marines, I wish they would stfu.
tkdvipers

Post by tkdvipers »

That guy might be able to max out on those scores. But I doubt he would with the correct from i.e. elbows in for push ups, knees together sit ups.

The fact that you do these tests after a hard phys session already has not been taken into account and also all the prmc tests are down in quick succession of each other so your body does not have a massive amount of time to rest.

I try not to comment on subjects I am not sure about and this guy should try the same.

Meh there are so many people out there like this, driven by what they are told to be driven by, get a job to "pay the bills" then come home and watch dancing stars on ice or whatever, all of them are armchair critics. Well I proclaim that, I could easily pass S.B.S selection and continuation if I was sat in an armchair for it.

Ignore the guy rise above it and let him live in his small little world.
[size=150][color=green][u]BLUEPETER PRMC VIDEOS HERE > [url=http://training-perseverence.blogspot.com]PRMC VIDEOS[/url][/u][/color][/size]

PRMC - 07/09/08
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Yeah mate ignore them, there are alot of people i know who are the same. Best to not even bother talking to them about subjects they know little about.
[url=http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15310][b]My PRMC Diary[/b][/url]
AndyG321

Post by AndyG321 »

Sounds like he's talking out of his a*** and probably hasn't ever met a royal I know I've only met 2 in my life! lol And would say they were pretty well rounded people certainly not macho thick loonies!

I do agree though when I started telling people I was joining they all turned around saying no join the army the marine's take anyone generally the tough and thick lot!?!
No one really understands how hard it is to join and what it's all about!
Shame really...
Application - 15th Dec
Recruit tests- Pass
Eye test - Pass
Interview - Pass
Medical - Pass
PJFT - Pass
PRMC - Pass!!!
RT - 23rd July

PB's
------------------
1.5 miler - 9:17
London Marathon - 5:19:24
unicorn

Post by unicorn »

ask him to do it infront of you. and wait for the excuses:-

football injury
too much breakfast
late for work
hang over etc.

have the same experiences with some people i know, the same t#ssers who do a day a week in the gym looking at them selves in the mirrors whilst they think they are doing a hard workout.

in my personal opinion, unless your abnormally fit, or training regularly, then there is no way you could just bang out the max reps.

most of my mates are of adverage fitness and can't even do 10 rm pushups.
jezb

Post by jezb »

If your trying to get in the Royal Marines, i'm sure you've got more important things to worry about than that gimp.
rt 10/09/2007
pushupfred

Post by pushupfred »

jezb wrote:If your trying to get in the Royal Marines, i'm sure you've got more important things to worry about than that gimp.
Oh I'm not worrying. Just wondered if any of you guys got the same shit off people, I couldn't care less what they say, but now my question has been answered that these know-it-alls think they can do everything without even trying.

My usual reply is "When you've got your green lid, then you can start bitching about how easy it is."
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

I think you are wrong in saying that people think the marines are a joke...

The guy sounds like hes about 12.

Unless you have been there, even you cant be going round defending the Marines. Dont worry about him mate, hes just fooling himself. You dont need to prove anything for the Marines to people like that..(until you are one!).
Just Lie back and think of England.

AFCO 17 - Oct [b]Here I come![/b]
phenom

Post by phenom »

Stereotyping.

I fu*king hate people who haven't got a clue and just believe whatever someone has told them. Unfortunately it's like a disease and gets passed through their entire friends and family like a virus. Sometimes it can be hard to break that out of people. I tend to ignore such people who haven't got the intelligence to see what they are actually saying.
Chrisbrum

Post by Chrisbrum »

Interestingly I've never come across that attitude towards the forces. Most people I've spoken to usually say 'f*cking hell, you're going for the marines, that's hardcore'. Obviously I've come across a few people with the 'you'll never manage it' attitude, which, although annoying, is also quite motivating. But I don't think I've ever come across someone who thinks that the marines are a joke, or who think it's full of brainwashed grunts. The closest I've come has been from other people in the army/TA, especially those linked with the paras, who will take the p*ss, but most of it is just harmless banter and in reality they are well aware of the high standards within the marines.

Maybe I've just been lucky, and I have to say on the whole the ones who have really been brainwashed are the people who work 9-5 and talk sh*t about things they don't have the first clue about.

Reminds me of an Arctic Monkeys line, can't remember exactly how it goes but it's something like 'you should have stayed back with us, thinking about things, but not actually doing the things'. Sums these people up really, lets see what they actually achieve in their lifetimes.

Ignore him and crack on with your training. People like that aren't worth bothering with.
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

Yeah I have to agree. the only negative feedback Ive heard about the Marines is that their fat and slow compared to the Para's.. lol From a Sgt. In Para's who was trying to get me to drop my RM application and go for the Para's.

haha.

- Andy
Just Lie back and think of England.

AFCO 17 - Oct [b]Here I come![/b]
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

In my local careers office I overheard an Army careers guy talking to a potential recruit. When the Royal Marines advert came on the guy starts talking shit about how the only difference is that the Marines arrive by water :evil: Ignorance gets on my tits.

The lad said "i'm sure the Marines would think differently about that" :lol:
[url=http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15310][b]My PRMC Diary[/b][/url]
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Edited by Frank S.
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Good point, because I am not a member of the army. I do know a fair few people who are though and I go on what they have told me.