Share This Page:

fitness is going up weight is not going down sugestions

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
pablo

Post by pablo »

Judge your bodyfat by the mirror, not by the scales. The numbers can be deceiving.

Rich
lodge939

Post by lodge939 »

calipers are the best way to measure your bodyfat. if youre a guy with an average build then BMI is a decent method - but remember its just a height-weight comparison so it takes into account any muscle that may be contributing to your weight.
Daveboots

Post by Daveboots »

i think BMI is pretty worthless. You dont need it.
Use a mirror, it will be your best guide.
stick too a calorie deficit, Train hard, Structure most your carbs around breakfast, pre workout, and post workout, Make sure your caloric intake is not too high, and you shouldnt have a problem.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Simple mate, and this is the bare bones of all of this and i've said it before, anyone who doesnt know please read:

If you burn off more calories than you are taking in, you WILL loose weight!

You have to, its a scientific fact. The only way you wouldnt is if you had a medical condition such as some people having an underactive thyroid.

Please also keep in mind that muscle is HEAVIER than fat ok, and when measuring size, try to use clothing and not the scales, its a good way of knowing that your progressing. If you wan to get that fat off - cardio, cardio, cardio. The BEST thing for it. Swimming, alot of core work, really work the abdominals, cycling, running (which is great for your arse so im told :lol:), and probably the most important thing: DIET! Keep your protien intake higher than your carbs ok. Saying that dont slouch in your carbs, you need them for energy, and anything extra will come from your body fat (depending on how much) because the body will metabolise itself so it can work.

Remember to eat your regular meals, NEVER skip them because your bodys metabolisum will slow down to conserve energy = no fat burning. Drink plenty of water as this will help metabolisum water+oxygen= fat burning!

I've got loads to type up but im really tired right now and would probably miss some, other lads will add to this i know. :wink:

All the best. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Sully

Post by Sully »

If you're fit (in the sense that you can hack the selection/job - that's the only criteria that matters) then what's the problem? On that basis weight has nothing to do with it so I wouldn't worry too much. If you can't do the tests because you're too heavy - then you're not fit. Or am I missing something :roll:
Per Flank, Per Tank
DANTAE

Post by DANTAE »

sully i am pritty sure that after darrens training sessions in 2/3 months i could but basically the careers office said ive got to loose about 10k's before ill be able to try selection medical/physical. so i am going to increase the cardio and do some research into my diet [/url]
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

If you go down the gym at all or a leisure centre see if it's got one of those fat measuring things. You put both hands on metal contacts and it works out what percentage of your body weight is fat. It uses electrical current, it's something to do with the resistance difference between fat and the rest of your body. Clever stuff really.

What weight/height are you now?
DANTAE

Post by DANTAE »

165 cm and am about 87k's so do have some unwanted fat
lodge939

Post by lodge939 »

those electronic bodyfat testers are inaccurate in my expierience
sandam

Its actually to do with BMI and body shape.

Post by sandam »

I'm 176cm (175.5 but the nice doc rounded up) and 95kgs at last weigh in (bmi 30.7). the doctor told me my BMI has to be under 30 to continue. To do that I need to be 92kg (1 pt of BMI = 3 kgs :(). I am also heavier than most because I have a larger frame. My comfortable weight should be around 83-85 kgs or a BMI of about 27.

DANTAE, your BMI at 87Kgs and 165cm is 32 (which according to the scale is obese). But still, even if you have a stocky frame like me, the RM will want that BMI under 30 at least (get down to 81kgs - or 6kgs more) and above that, you are still quite young which means you have growing and filling out left to do still. That is basically why they have told you to loose the weight. The lighter you are going in (within reason), the easier it will be to pass the PRMC and RT in the end. Its better to have to put on mass than lose it, trust me on this.
Application Dec '06
Psychometrics 15/01/2007 - Passed
Eye Test 28/01/07 - Passed (VA1)
Interview 01/02/2007 - Passed
Medical 01/02/2007 - Failed (have to lose 3 kg's)
Medical 2 - ? (Just have to weigh in)
PJFT - ?
PRMC - ?