Share This Page:

Sit Rep

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
nufc_rulz

Sit Rep

Post by nufc_rulz »

Well after 22 weeks i decided id had enough and left. Basically i thought training was crap and the more i did the more i didnt want to do the job after. Im only 18 and feel i havent had enough life experience and want to go do other things e.g uni. Looking back now i wish i had waited til i was about 22-24 as most lads that are in training and pass out are that age. Im not saying if you are only a young lad you wont pass out but think alot find it hard being so young. I did enojy some parts especially the oppos you get. Looking forward im going to go to uni and hopefully return to become an officer in the marines or another service.
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

Good on you for having the balls to stand up and say enough is enough. I think a lot of people in your position may have kept their mouth shut out of fear and ended doing a job that they really weren't suited to or happy with.

The military is not for everyone but you can say that you had a good crack, completed two thirds of training and got to a stage that the majority of people would never be able to get to.

Keep yourself fit and enjoy uni. Most of all, it would be great if you could stay in touch on here as you now have a lot of useful current information to pass on to everyone on here.

Good luck for the future mate.
Aways look on the bright side of life.
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Yeh cheers mate and il stick around and help out however i can. As long as theres no gash questions on how to do press ups!!!
daz89

Post by daz89 »

well done for getting that far mate, people dont know how hard training is until you get to ctc.

My calf muscle cramped up during bottomfield, I tried to keep going but my leg kept on cramping up. When I first got there I felt out of place because of my age (17), but now that I've left I miss the place :o

Chin up :wink: 22 weeks is at CTC is something to be proud of.
Paulc83

Post by Paulc83 »

22 weeks. i thought you couldnt pull out after the 12 th week unless you were discharged?
pschometric test- passed
eye test- passed
interview-passed
medical -passed
pjft- 9.02

A fool learns by his own mistakes, a wise man learns by others.

push ups 72
pull ups 8 but it nearly killed me!
sit ups 70 form questionable
1.5 mile-9.12
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Like they say, its not for everyone. Good luck in the future mate.
Last edited by JCAP3 on Sat 20 Jan, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tkdvipers

Post by tkdvipers »

I believe week 22 is the last week you can opt out.
mancuniankid

Post by mancuniankid »

Alright Dom it's sad you left mate but you did well. From being threaders at week 8 and surviving untill week 22 is a brilliant effort. Like you said your still young and there's plenty of time to go back.

After you have been out a while though you'll forget all the bad things and just miss all the good times we had.

Good Luck with Uni and that anyway mate

Dan
PB's

1.5-8.43
3miler-18.41
Bleep Test -Lv 13
Press ups-64
Sit ups-84
Pull Ups-16
druadan

Post by druadan »

I believe week 22 is the last week you can opt out.
You believe wrong. It's 6 months after your joining date assuming you've passed Baptist Run (wk 15) - when you also go from Recruit pay onto normal Pay Band 1. Wk 26 if you're an original.
tkdvipers

Post by tkdvipers »

You believe wrong. It's 6 months after your joining date assuming you've passed Baptist Run (wk 15) - when you also go from Recruit pay onto normal Pay Band 1. Wk 26 if you're an original.
Thanks for clearing that up, when I was in I swear I remember being told that alot of opt outs were at week 22 because it was the last week and it was a nods last chance.

But obviosly not :oops:

Just looked at the RM site and the last chance is apparently week 20.
There are also a few ‘Opt Outs’ around the period where the Opt Out period ends (week 20).
I got that fromhttp://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5384

But is that up to date?
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

You gave it a fair crack mate, 22 weeks at CTC is a long time.
At least this way you wont look back and say, maybe i should have at least waited till phase two! you gave it time and still felt the same. Personally i think you did the right thing if it really wasnt feeling right, i,m sure some will disagree though.

As you say when you,ve got a bit more life experience and done some things you want to do, you might want to go back.....i have to say i reckon there is a fair chance you will.

I know i feel far more ready and mature to do it now, after Uni, than i did when if first joined up (and i was 20). If your possibly thinikng of Officer in the future, it would be worth thinking of the RMR maybe whilst your at uni??

Best of luck with Uni.

dwarfy
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

mancuniankid wrote: After you have been out a while though you'll forget all the bad things and just miss all the good times we had.

Dan
You took the words right out of my mouth mate. Its the reason there are SO many Re-joins.

dwarfy
druadan

Post by druadan »

Just looked at the RM site and the last chance is apparently week 20.
Sorry, what I said above was true when I was at Lympstone two years ago. Could have changed. Also not sure if they count leave into the 6 months, so if you joined before summer leave, you'd have five weeks off during your first 6 months (summer and Christmas), 26 less 5 = 21...

Just guessing here now mind. It used to be the start of wk26, before you do Final Ex.